teacher ebay

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by ChristyF, Jun 17, 2006.

1. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jun 17, 2006

In one of the posts (don't remember which now!:rolleyes: ) someone was talking about finding teacher stuff on ebay. I just clicked on the charts on the side that Amanda displays. When I got there, Ebay had automatically put in teacher resources as the category, I just put in resource books instead of charts and got a lot of great books to look at (now bidding on 3 items and watching about 5 others!)

3. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2006

Yesterday I found many teacher stamps on ebay for good prices.

4. 2ndTimeArnd

2ndTimeArnd Companion

Jun 17, 2006

I frequently browse EBay, too, but at the risk of sounding obvious, may I just remind folks to not get caught up in the so-called "bargain" atmosphere and realize that, once you add in shipping charges, some things actually can be purchased cheaper at a teacher store. I once bid on a big-book version of Chicka Chicka Boom Boom that ended up going for something like $25 plus shipping (not to me, thankfully!) ... yet the same book could be bought from the Scholastic book club flyers that very month for $15.

I also frequently see stuff on there that I know sellers have purchased from Dollar Tree or the other dollar stores - like a box of stickers that they're trying to nab three or four bucks for ... again, plus shipping. That said, you can get good bargains on lots of used Scholastic books, kids magazines, and teacher resource books. I just got a set of 3 Evan-Moore "Literature Pocket" idea books that would sell new for $16 each, and I got all three for $20, including shipping.

Another idea: If you see a teacher resource book you think you might want, go to Amazon.com and see if it's listed and if you can get the "Search Inside this Book" feature - then you can see what you're actually bidding on, and not bid blind. And then sometimes on Amazon you can actually get in cheaper from one of the used book-sellers on that site.

5. Jame

Jame Comrade

Jun 17, 2006

That would be me (and Daisy!). :D Christy, thanks for the tip!

DinDenver, thank you, too! I have had really good luck finding book sets for my lit circles, but I have learned to add the postage into the amount I am willing to bid, and figure out the price per item. Then, I make the highest bid that I am willing to make, and then what happens, happens. :) I learned that after bidding on my very first item...the adrenaline and competitive spirit kicked in and there was no way I was going to lose!! THANK GOODNESS, I did lose THAT bid!!! :D

6. wvsasha

wvsasha Companion

Jun 17, 2006

I've bought and bought and bought stuff from ebay - everything from backpacking to teacher stuff to scrapbooking to electronics to a Bow Flex. From 25 cents to $400.

Another word of advice to add to all those already mentioned - be sure to check the feedback rating of the seller BEFORE you bid.

And another piece of advice - use PayPal. In 5 years of ebay-ing, I"ve only had 2 sellers go back on their auction and both times I was able to use PayPal's mediation service to get my money back. Very easy and included in the services when you use paypal to pay for an auction.

If you decide to sell on ebay - have one ID for selling and one ID for buying. That way if a buyer black marks your selling ID for no reason (and it does happen, I've seen it on other people), it doesn't affect your rating for buying.

Good luck and have fun!

7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 17, 2006

I even bought an overhead projector on ebay last year. I stick to thrift stores for my books, though. Just can't beat those prices. I actually had to give away about 100 books to a new teacher at the end of the year I had so many. Thanks for the info, Christy!

8. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jun 17, 2006

:) No problem!
    I'm a chicken when it comes to ebay. I'll buy, but $20 is usually my cap. I am looking to buy my niece a used 35 mm camera and have some on ebay, but I will probably by that close to home.

9. frodolass

frodolass Comrade

Jun 17, 2006

I've bought about 1400 books on ebay, mostly multiple copies for literature circles. Most of the books are new. I paid less than a dollar for most of them, including shipping. I got class sets of Holes, Hatchet, Brian's Winter, Rascal, The Giver, Walk Two Moons, A Day No Pigs Would Die, Bud, Not Buddy, and A Year Down Yonder, Tuck Everlasting, Bridge to Terabithia, etc. I even bought books that are not the RL I'm looking for b/c they were so cheap. For example, I got a class set of Angela's Ashes for less than $5.00! I *heart* eBay!

10. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 17, 2006

But what about the shipping?

11. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2006

Ship via media mail... Usually less than 5.00 (I bought 6 books and they cost 3.xx for them shipped here). If the seller does not offer it in their auction, I will email them to see if they would be willing to. Doesn't hurt to ask :)

My best deal was a set of 6 BNWT hot dot pens with the stickers (sell for 9.99 at least each at the store) for 6.xx shipped!!! Best deal ever! Now I just have to get off my lazy behind and make the question cards for a station.

12. frodolass

frodolass Comrade

Jun 17, 2006

I agree, I usually go with media mail shipping. It is slower, but I have over 1000 transactions since 1999 and have never lost a shipment.

Here's an example. I purchased 11 copies (new) of A Year Down Yonder by Richard Peck. I paid $6.00 for the books and $2.55 for media mail shipping, for a total of $8.55. That's only about .78 for each book including the shipping. I don't always make such good deals. Sometimes I pay as much as $3.00 for new books, but that's still a good deal.

Before bidding, I would suggest checking the seller's feedback rating and comments.

I also purchased the most recent version of the complete Elementary Set of SRA Specific Skill Series (Levels Picture - F) for $35.00. I've seen other sets sell for $400.00! I was just lucky. You've gotta check constantly. Good luck!

13. AChancetoTeach

AChancetoTeach Comrade

Jun 17, 2006

You're going to think I'm crazy, but I actually bought a CAR on Ebay! We REALLY checked out the seller and he had lots of reviews (over 300). The seller was also located close to us in our own state and I drove that car for 3 years! We got every dime out of it that we paid. That is the most outrageous thing my husband and I have ever done, and thank goodness we were not burned by it! I did just buy a first year teacher book on ebay for about 8.00 shipping included, and the book goes for over $30 new.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2006
  14. VegasLibra

VegasLibra Companion

Jun 18, 2006

I love ebay. I've only had one person rip me off, it was for $12 so I figure I've saved way moe than that on there so it's not so bad.

15. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jun 18, 2006

A friend of mine bought an old Ford truck for her son off Ebay. They drove to Arkansas to pick it up, but her brother lived about 30 minutes away and was able to check it out before they bought it.

16. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Jun 18, 2006

I have bought a book, a camera battery (just yesterday) and a media stick from ebay. I get hooked on the bidding but always set a limit for myself because I know I could get carried away. A friend of ours bought a car, I think a Viper, from ebay, sight unseen. What a risk he took but it turned out to be a good deal. I could never spend 40,000 or 50,000 on something like that without first seeing it.

17. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jun 18, 2006

My advice is like those above. I got bit hard my first bid. I bought a poster for 1.99 and was really excited. Then I saw shipping...19.99. It was in a cardboard tube (not even the nice ones with the lids, but just had the ends crimped) and postage was $1.15. I didn't leave an ugly feedback, because I missed it, but I did formally complain to the company. I've been very careful since.
    I've also had some great experiences, people who tossed in extras, etc.
    Especially on teacher supplies, when I find something I like, I go to their other items. When you're lucky, you find a teacher clearing out (like Amanda did a while back! :) ) and find some great deals.

18. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Jun 18, 2006

I am very careful too. When I bought my items for my camera I checked with Best Buy and a few other stores to see the going prices. On ebay I bought the items MUCH cheaper and they were new in a factory sealed package. SO if you shop around and compare prices and watch shipping and handling you can get a great deal.

19. frodolass

frodolass Comrade

Jun 18, 2006

I wanted to mention that the prices of class sets and guided reading sets seems to have gone up in the past couple of weeks, probably because of teachers being home for the summer and preparing for next year. It's good if you want to sell, but not so good if you are looking for bargains.