Teacher Dress Codes

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by TeacherApr, Jul 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Jul 11, 2010

aye aye aye! this reminds me of a male teacher we used to have. He would be SO sloppy with his way of dress. Untucked dress shirts, sweat pants...it was terrible. Of course, his attitude wasn't professional either but that's a different story lol

I admit, I'm jealous of PE teachers.....:lol:

2. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jul 11, 2010

When our Wellness Department Chair (Gym) became our new Athletic Directors he complained he didn't own enough shirt and ties. I legitimately have over 100 ties and probably 50 shirts it's an addiction. My students buy them for me and lots of the time their corny but I wear them anyways. My goal is to have enough ties to never repeat during the school year!

3. heymrsp

heymrsp Rookie

Jul 11, 2010

Our school is a pretty eclectic mix of styles but we tend to stay on the dressed up side of the wardrobe spectrum. A typical outfit for me consists of either a dress or dress pants(not chinos), a dressy top and high heels. Most of the women I work with follow the same pattern. The male teachers wear dress pants, dress shoes and a dress shirt, usually without a tie. We can wear capris and sleeveless shirts/wide strap tank tops if we want to - our school is not air conditioned. Our superintendent says we should not be wearing jeans, but in the last 5 years, he has been in our building twice. We do wear jeans on Fridays and usually the days before major vacations. Our principal has no problem with us occasionally wearing jeans, but they need to be dark and dressed up if it's during the school week(not a Friday). Flip flops are not allowed to be worn by students but its not enforced - a few teachers wear them in the warmer months, but not enough to make an issue out of it.

I will say that I am teaching summer school this month, and it's been in the high 90's/low 100's and my classroom temps are much higher than that (112' one day - with fans) -Ive noticed absolutely anything goes right now in terms of clothing - as long as we are respectable.

4. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 11, 2010

Our school dress code is..well we don't really have one. You can wear whatever you want. Jeans on any day, flip flops, spaghetti straps. As long as it looks nice it goes. Some people even wear sweats.

5. Southernese

Southernese Rookie

Jul 11, 2010

The school I taught at last year had a big issue with a few female teachers showing too much cleavage, so they had to crack down on the dress code. Before that, there was no stated dress code.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 11, 2010

We have no written dress code although it's been 'discussed' at times. Our former superintendant wanted to create one before he left so as to not leave any 'gray areas' for the new supe but it never came to be.
    I would say generally, teachers in my district dress nicely...business casual for the most part (although no one in business really understands what that means either)...Lots of women wear dresses or skirts, dress pants, blouses or knit tops. Capris when it gets warm . Sometimes jeans on Fridays but truthfully most don't wear jeans...I only do if it's a 'spirit day' or a field trip.
    Men wear khakis, jeans, golf shirts, button down shirts, sweaters...no ties.
    We kind of 'self-police'...there really aren't any cleavage or short skirt issues (OK, there is that one sub who looks like she's going clubbing all the time:dizzy::wow:). No one ever looks sloppy or inappropriate.

7. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jul 11, 2010

I teach at a Catholic co-ed high school.

On Fridays we can wear whatever we want including shorts, jeans, sweatsuits.

The rest of the week
    Men--Polo shirt and nice pants--some are in shorts because they teach PE and academic classes.
    Women--Anything we want as long as cleavage is not exposed. Most of us wear khaki type pants and polo shirts. We can wear long shorts and capris as long as they look nice. We can wear any type of shoes and we do not wear stockings.

Mass Day
    Men--Shirt with tie and nice pants
    Women--The like us to wear a skirt and blouse.

8. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 11, 2010

Not me! I don't think men should ever be required to wear a tie. It's an assessory, people. Mandating ties is like mandating women wear a necklace. :)

Though I will say, I used to think it was kind of neat to watch shows in which the fathers wore ties...seemed so fancy. My dad has owned exaclty one clip-on tie in all the time I've known him.

9. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jul 11, 2010

I agree--men should not be required to wear ties. My husband is an engineer and he wears a tie maybe twice a year to a meeting. Most of our male teachers teach at least 1 PE class so they tend to wear shorts and sweats all day.

10. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 11, 2010

No jeans, but pretty much everything else goes. One teacher wears stretchy pants, a t-shirt and Crocs every day :eek:
    My room is super hot, so I do not dress as nicely as I did my first year when I was in a wonderful room- along with the A/C controls ;) Now I am above the boiler :( I wear khakis, a cotton top, and flip-flops for most of the year. I try to dress up a bit at least once a week- even though I am sweating by 9am!

11. Tongo

Tongo Rookie

Jul 11, 2010

WOw I think my school is the most strict of all. We have to wear an school´s uniform every day. For men it´s a suit (of course ties every day) For women it is a loooong checked skirt (down to the ankle :( ) , dark stockings and a big sweater covering up everything. We are suppose to look like a british tutor from the past century. Most people think I´m a nun when they see me on the street. :lol::lol:

12. Southern JC

Southern JC Companion

Jul 11, 2010

Hey Yarnwoman, I also posted to a question similar to this one just the other day. I can't believe the complaining I've read posted by some teachers. Some went as far as saying they would never work for a district that makes the teachers wear uniforms. I was so disgusted that I didn't even mind posting again. I want to work for the best district, one where I can make a difference, etc. Dress code would not keep me from accepting a job as a teacher. I think just like the students sometimes forget their role as students, teachers forget theirs. Like I said, we're not in a fashion show. (Thanks for letting me vent to you :D )

Our uniforms are school colors (same as the students). However we have a lot of leeway with the types of clothing we wear. Our pants/skirts/ or below the knee capris have to be khaki, blue, white, or black (they can be any material other than jeans). The tops can be polo shirts/blouses/sweaters/etc. and can be any shade as long as they are school colors (white, blue, black, maroon, grey). We also have spirit shirts that we are allowed to wear on Thursdays and Fridays (these are any t-shirts that represent the school). I have to admit, I didn't like them at first, but it didn't take long to adjust to it. You have to be open-minded and stay focused at the task at hand, educating. Now, I have no problem at all wearing the uniforms. I've saved a lot of money and I don't have to worry about what I'm wearing. It's possible to be fashionable and still look professional wearing uniforms.

13. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Jul 11, 2010

I feel schools need to TRUST their teachers as far as dress goes, this is why I find it offensive to have some schools clothe you. I know how to dress myself and I am a professional...thanks lol

14. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jul 11, 2010

I loved having uniforms at a school that I taught at. We wore school polo shirts (they provided us with 3 per year) and khaki, black, or blue pants or capris. I loved it because I always knew what I was wearing.

15. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 11, 2010

FAR too many people do not.

16. Southern JC

Southern JC Companion

Jul 12, 2010

Amen, Aliceacc! :p

17. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Jul 12, 2010

very true therefore things need to be done with these people. At my school we are talked to as a GROUP about these things. That's not placing responsibility onto someone lol that's why it never changes.

18. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jul 12, 2010

Haven't really had a specified dress code. We have been able to wear most anything that we want as long as it's appropriate. I don't know if our attire will have to change this year since the kids are going to have to wear uniforms this year or not. I know we aren't going to have to wear uniforms though.

19. MorahMe

MorahMe Habitué

Jul 12, 2010

We have the Orthodox Jewish dress code, being that we're a Jewish school. That means covered legs, skirt that covers the knees, sleeves cover the elbows, neckline covers the collarbone, and no form fitting clothing. Oh, and no red clothing. Other than that...not much of a dress code!

20. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jul 12, 2010

We really don't have one. We can wear flip flops, jeans, shorts, or whatever. Most people restrict jeans to one day a week or so, but there are people who wear them or a comfortable pair of khakis pretty much daily. Even though the dress code is lax (I've been there three years and I don't think I've ever even seen one) the staff dresses professionally more often than not. People do show common sense though and don't wear clothing the kids aren't allowed to wear (too-short shorts, halters, spaghetti straps, etc.)

21. SciTeacherNY

SciTeacherNY Companion

Jul 12, 2010

There is no official dress code at my school. More or less everyone at my school dresses appropriately so there really is no reason to institute one.

22. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jul 13, 2010

Really Alice? I thought I could go to work everyday in dirty sneakers and an untucked t-shirt, as long as I don't wear blue jeans???

23. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 13, 2010

Sure, Brendan, that's perfectly fine. It fits your idea of professional, and I'm sure the kids will respect that.

It's the OTHER people I'm talking about :p

24. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 13, 2010

I'm at a public magnet school - we have a very strict dress code. Button-down collared shirts and ties, dress slacks, and dress shoes required for men everyday except Fridays, when they may wear a school polo and nice khakis.

Women... well, it's spelled out for us. Shirts must have sleeves (or have a sweater over them), nothing see-through, and show zero cleavage (collars not required). Dress slacks. Dresses/skirts must be professional and touch the top of the knee. Shoes must have a backstrap and sneakers can only be worn with a doctor's note. No denim of any kind at any time. We can wear school polos with nice khakis on Fridays.

You'd think there would be no issues... but some people feel they don't have to follow the dress code. Which is why some people were let go at the end of the year.

25. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jul 13, 2010

I posted before.... but no, I don't think men should be required to wear a tie if there isn't a specified dress code... that being said, my school last year had about 5 men... one teaches gym, so he's excused. One is the band director, whom I rarely saw because he was hopping between all the buildings. Of the other 3... they were in either a shirt and tie or a polo (usually with khakis), unless it was a school t-shirt. I don't have a problem with that at all.

I know that for lower elementary especially, a tie would often get in the way... my ID gets in the way enough when it's a lanyard hat I bought one of those stretchy things to put on my pocket instead... it just gets in the way.

If there was a uniform or stricter dress code, it would just make getting dressed in the morning that much easier. I do have a hard time finding pants that fit me (fashion still hasn't come around for ample rears without gapping at the wasteband), but I'd make do if necessary.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.