Teacher Dress Codes

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by TeacherApr, Jul 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Jul 10, 2010

Someone's response in another thread made me think of the various dress codes that are around the country.

So....what are your dress codes for teachers and have there been any issues/problems?

Mine: Professional attire which means--no flip flops, skirts and dresses must be touching your knee, no cleavage showing, no shorts, if sleeveless must have 3 finger width strap

Issues: have had many teachers wear "short" dresses and skirts, had one wear a halter top with the majority of her back showing, NUMEROUS "discussions"/arguments on what constitutes flip flops.

3. funshine2381

funshine2381 Companion

Jul 10, 2010

It's HOT where I live. We are allowed to wear shorts (long), capris, and flip flops. I usually wear flip flops to work during December too....but once I'm in my classroom, I put on my house shoes. I had one issue where I was sent home for wearing a shirt that was too "revealing". It was sleeveless and showed no cleavage. The other teachers wear the same sort of shirts, but I guess it was because I'm younger than them. The principal told me "We don't want those freshmen boys to get distracted". OK.........

4. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Jul 10, 2010

lol I'm jealous you get to wear long shorts and flip flops! I wish our principal was more relaxed. It gets well over 100 degrees here = (

5. boomer mitra

boomer mitra Rookie

Jul 10, 2010

we have simple dress code..bright shirt with black pant

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 10, 2010

I'm the one you were talking about.

I'm in a Catholic HIgh school. Our dress code is very specific.

Men: jacket and tie, dress pants, dress socks. polishable shoes.

women: no backless/sleeveless anything
    dress/ skirt with stockings or
    dress pants with a jacket.

I know a lot of people would find it restrictive, but I'm very comfortable with it. I wear a lot of suits. (Remember, I'm in high school, I'm not down on the floor with my kids.)

7. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2010

Ours is pretty simple and basic: no flip flops, no spaghetti straps (the general rule is that you should be able to wear a basic bra, and have no strap showing), no jeans, skirts longer than fingertip length, no shorts, no Tshirts with logos on them, all skin covered between mid-thigh and shoulder.

I teach PreK, so I am down on the floor with my kids, but I still like to dress professionally. I find that if I don't, the parents mistake me for their nanny.

Our biggest issue has been with flip-flops, too. What's a flip-flop and what's a thong sandal? Numerous interpretations! And there have been a couple of younger teachers who needed to be told what professional attire looks like. It's not pajamas.

Kim

8. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 10, 2010

We don't actually have a written dress code; it's pretty much common sense: dress professionally. We can wear jeans on Fridays, however, and a lot of people wear flip-flops, shorts, tank tops (I've never seen spaghetti strap, though).

Personally, I always wear dress pants or capris, and even on jean day I wear a sweater or nice shirt with my jeans. I only wear a t-shirt if it is a school shirt.

9. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 10, 2010

We had casual Fridays where we could wear jeans and the school shirt. This year will be interesting because one of the facets of our Superintendent's plan to improve the district to implement a more formal dress code-so it will be much more specific. The men especially, I think will be effected because typically they don't dress very formally. I have the same belief as Kim-I usually wear long skirts that are very washable, but look professional-I spend a lot of time on the floor with the kids.

We had a teacher last year who was very offended that an admin told her the dress was too short-when she was putting kids in cars at dismissal it was just a few inches from being able to see her "drawers". I just don't understand how you can be comfortable walking around like that, much less around kids.

10. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2010

Well, I know that we have been told to not wear "sweatsuits"- but other than that, I haven't ever heard that we are not allowed to wear something. We have jean days every Friday. I wear flip flops (on occasion).

11. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 10, 2010

Unless it's pajama day! :p

12. jday129

jday129 Comrade

Jul 10, 2010

Guess I'm lucky. We have no dress code. Jeans are usually reserved for Fridays, but if we want to wear them other days that's fine (esp if they are dress jeans).
    I wear spaghetti strap dresses sometimes. So do they other young teachers. We have no AC and dressing in this manner allows us to stay cool longer.

I've never found my students to behave differently based on what I'm wearing.

13. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Jul 10, 2010

:) Yes it was you!!! ha ha
    High school...completely different than elementary that's for sure.

We finally had to agree on a definition :rolleyes: and said that one cannot wear any shoe that has a foam sole. FINALLY everyone agreed. Why in the WORLD did we have to come up with a stinkin' definition was beyond me lol you would think it would be common sense.

I forgot about this for us. We can also wear jeans on Fridays and our school shirt.
    And don't even get me started on the jean issue lol We have had teachers arguing that some of their attire LOOKS like jeans but isn't. If it looks like a jean....just don't wear it is my opinion. But I'm not the principal.

I don't think this is the reason for having a dress code for teachers. It's more of setting an EXAMPLE towards the kids and treating school professionally. I agree with my principal that dressing TOO casual can affect a teacher's behavior.
    Side note: our students are now required to wear uniforms for this next year. yea! :)

14. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 10, 2010

Exact same code here, but we can wear jeans on Fridays. People are always trying to test the dress code with jean jackets, dressy shorts, etc. The funny thing is, even those that adhere to the dress code look sloppy in my opinion. Sure, they have on khakis and a shirt with sleeves, but their tazmanian devil tattoo is still peeking out :lol:

15. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jul 10, 2010

No jeans or wind suits...nothing made of "blue jean material"
    No shirt that shows stomach..no shorts...no t-shirts except spirit days...

This is simple compared to my old school. I was not allowed to wear anything made of denim or open toed shoes or any skirts above knees or any capris.

16. CanukTeach

CanukTeach Companion

Jul 10, 2010

We don't have a dress code specifically either. We have dress down Fridays but plenty of other days people dress casually. We obviously can't wear something students can't wear - so short shorts or spagetti straps are out - but basically we are expected to dress reasonably - as one would expect of adults.

17. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jul 10, 2010

The daycare preschool I was in had a stricter dress code than where i work now ;) Theirs was blue jeans only on payday Fridays (every other week)... other color jeans were apparently OK, although who wears any other color besides black... no open-toe shoes (so Crocs were OK even though they're ugly and fall off your feet but dressy sandals that I could actually run in weren't)... we could do jeans with a school shirt for field trips or other random days they'd designate. This decree came from coroporate, and i think it was a "We want to be seen as more than a daycare, so dress that way." It wasn't a big deal, just more restrictive than most public schools I've been in. On days were knew we'd be getting a visit fromcorporate, newspaper, etc. they'd request something like khaki or black pants and a school polo or whatever... they were constantly giving us school shirts, so I'd end up wearing them quite often anyway.

Of course, then they decided to remind the ENTIRE staff about the dress code because people were violating it... they mentioned not to wear sweats/wind suits (they weren't technically included in the no-jeans rule, but most of us thought that should have been fairly obvious), oversized sweatshirts, etc... and ignored the biggest violators of it ("well, she's trying to lose weight, so I'm giving her some leeway because I know she's between sizes")... ugh!

We don't have a written code that I've seen, people wear flip-flops, etc... but I think the code is more of a "look like the professional that you are." I haven't seen it specified anywhere, but we do jeans only on Fridays and field trips, no shorts (unless you teach gym!!!)... pretty much when I'm in jeans, I'm also in a school shirt, or at least school colors (I knew I'd be changing schools after a year, so I only bought one school shirt... I got a bit bored with it, but it sure made dressing on Friday mornings easy!!!). For some days, they'll mention that we can wear jeans with school shirts (like the day the staff was participating in the talent show...), but it seems to be pretty understood.

Our kids have restrictions about sleaveless strap length, midriffs, short/skirt length, etc... and I think we all try to follow it, too.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2010
  18. myangel52

myangel52 Comrade

Jul 10, 2010

Wow, some of you guys work in places that are really strict on what you wear!

I haven't ever been told what to wear, or what not to wear in our district. It is assumed that we all know how to present ourselves in a professional light, and our kids, of course, have dress code rules that they need to be following, but I have never heard of anything specific for teachers. I have not seen any of our teachers running around in anything inappropriate. None of us show of cleavage, or wear spaghetti strap tops (with nothing over them, at least), or too short of skirts or shorts.

I don't think there are restrictions on what shoes we can wear, or how long skirts have to be specifically. I have seen teachers wear jeans every day of the week, and sweatshirts on days other than Friday. We are a pretty casual district, especially at my middle school. I presume, though, if someone was dressing in an inappropriate way that they would have a chat with admin, but I have not ever heard of that happening. (I haven't seen anyone need to, though.)

19. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jul 10, 2010

We don't have specific rules about dress except the understanding that if students aren't permitted to wear an item, staff isn't either. I'm always concerned that a set of rules will be enacted based on discussions by administration. Currently, new teachers sit through a dress code lesson.
    Honestly, I enjoy looking like a professional. I sure wish that I looked like a model in my clothes but...I do the best I can. I also wish I could still wear nice heels all day but that just doesn't work for me (and my feet) anymore. It's not necessarily what people wear, but how they wear it.

20. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jul 10, 2010

In my district, its basically dress professional. It depends on what school you are at, and which P you have, as to what that actually means. I think I've mentioned a few times on other threads about some of the outfits that I think are not "professional" but no one ever says anything to these people.

21. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Jul 10, 2010

oh how I miss WA.....lol

22. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jul 10, 2010

We are business casual. No jeans unless it's a Spirit Day or a Friday. Every one wears Jeans on Friday. The typical attire for men is a collared shirt (tucked into) dress pants or khakis. Some men wear a tie some don't. Dress shoes are required. I've had the problem of some teachers who think a tshirt with sneakers and khakis is professional attire for men. Sandals and flip flops are a no-no for men.

For women its typically dress pants, a sweater/dressy shirt, or a skirt/dress. No sneakers as well except on Friday. Flip flops are also a no-no except on Friday. I've had the problem of some teachers wearing Yoga Pants on Friday and dressing too young.

23. queenie

queenie Groupie

Jul 10, 2010

There isn't a dress code enforced at my school for teachers, that I'm aware of. Most of us wear capris & short sleeved tops (a few wear sleeveless, but I don't recall seeing any spaghetti straps OR shorts) when it's hot. Mostly, though, we wear dress slacks or khakis and blouses, polos, or dressy tops. Some do wear flip flops in the spring/summer. Not too many wear dresses. The kids aren't technically supposed to wear flip flops but the only thing that happens when they do is that they have to change for gym & recess (or sit out). BTW, males wear short sleeved dress shirts/slacks or khaki style pants with polos and dressy shoes. It seems there's an understanding that we can dress down on Fridays. I often see tennis shoes & tshirts on Fridays. I, personally, have worn jeans on Fridays, but I don't feel comfortable wearing tennis shoes or tshirts/sweatshirts to teach in. When I wear jeans (not very often), I wear dark jeans with a dressy top and sandals.

24. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 10, 2010

My daughter HATES the fact that I'm the only mom we know who actually enforces the ban on flip flops-- no one at her school enforces it.

But if that fire alarm ever went off, I want my kids able to MOVE,and that can be tricky in flip flops.

Aside from the fact that I see them as utterly unprofessional, I really feel that no one in a school should be wearing them. (And, yes, I'm wearing a pair at the moment.)

25. cmw

cmw Groupie

Jul 10, 2010

I have no idea what the dress code will be at my new school :eek: I also don't know if I'll have a/c in my building which may make a difference in how I dress. (I've had a/c the last 3 years). I'm hoping sandals and capris are OK for the warm months. I'm also hoping we have spirit days which include wearing jeans, but will see. :p In my previous school we had issues with flip flops, cleavage, and tight clothes. We received emails but it did no good.

26. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 10, 2010

We don't really have one. We can wear jeans on Fridays. I don't think we're supposed to wear flip flops, but some people do.

I usually wear dresses every day except Friday. If it's sleeveless, I wear a sweater over it.

27. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Jul 10, 2010

Business casual. Two Friday/month -jeans and nice top or shirt/sweatshirt with school logo. No "dress" denim of any color. Of course dress changes for spirit week, other "special"days.

28. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Jul 10, 2010

Business casual as well. No jeans or flip flops with the exception of a couple of teacher work days. Ladies wear dresses, skirts or slacks. No shorts. Nothing form fitting or revealing. Men wear pants, dress shirt, tie optional.

29. MrsHoot

MrsHoot Comrade

Jul 10, 2010

Nothing too big here either! We're not technically supposed to wear flip flops (because the kids can't), but some people do. No jeans except on Fridays. But a jean skirt or jacket doesn't count, you can wear those whenever. I've never seen spaghetti straps, but I don't think there are any length restrictions, etc. Occasionally people wore shorts. Not me, I'm not very comfortable in them.

I got a few dresses this summer that I am excited about wearing to school with my jean jacket. They could work for all seasons! My favorite thing to wear is a long black, stretchy, flowy skirt that goes with anything, looks professional and is super comfortable! Apparently, I just need one of those in every color. =)

30. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2010

Alice, our daughters would have a lot to commeriserate about! I, too, am the "only" mom who doesn't let the kids wear flip-flops to school. At least according to them, lol. I see your point about the fire, but to me, it's more the fact that it is a rule, period, and rules are to be followed - especially when your mom teaches in your building...and therefore, is in charge of enforcing such rules.

31. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 10, 2010

It's an issue for me because it's not enforced at the school; I've seen the other kids at the bus stop, and no one has ever said a word to them.

Either enforce the rules you have, or take them off the books. But either way, my kids are NOT wearing flip flops to school!!!

32. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 10, 2010

In talking to seniors I mention the "no flip flops" on the job idea and they always flip. No pun intended. One girl said, "I would not take a job if they wouldn't let me wear flip-flops." ?Really?

33. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 10, 2010

The only dress code rule we have is wearing slippers in the school-no outside shoes allowed. This is due to the GROSS sidewalks in the city. Mine are actually wedges that look like bunny slippers, as I need some sort of arch support. Our teachers can, and do, dress VERY casual. I dress up most every day-I love skirts and dressy pants/capris, but I also love my jeans!

34. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 10, 2010

I sincerely hope she plans to marry well.

35. Southern JC

Southern JC Companion

Jul 10, 2010

Our students went to uniforms about four years ago. Shortly after, the dress code was also changed for faculty. So now we all wear uniforms!

36. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Jul 10, 2010

How does that work? I have heard rubblings that admin is considering this for my school. In some ways I think it would be ok because then I don't have to think in the morning but then again to have to go out and buy clothes with money I don't have makes me cringe.

37. cmw

cmw Groupie

Jul 10, 2010

:lol: My thoughts exactly!

38. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2010

Schools around here that have uniforms for teachers generally require polo shirts, long or short sleeved, oxfords (again, long or short sleeved), and a V-necked sweater and/or cardigan as tops. They usually specify color. (my friend's school can wear black, navy, light blue or white for any of those items.). Bottoms are khaki or navy skirts (to the knee), pants or capris (in May and August/Sept only). Shirts must be tucked in, belts must be worn.

BTW, this mirrors the kid dress code EXACTLY.

My friend doesn't mind it too much. She had several pairs of khakis, and she looked for clearance items for the rest.

My daughter will be attending this school next year and I have been scouting the clearance racks for her. She wears a women's medium. I've found polos (short sleeved) and sweaters (V-necks) at places like Koh's and Lands End for as little as $4 each.

39. BCPMWK

BCPMWK Companion

Jul 10, 2010

I would HATE having to adhere to some of the dress code you all have! We're not supposed to wear windsuits or sweatpants. Most of us wear jeans one day per week, but it may not be Friday. The men wear polos or sports polos and either jeans or khakis. We all wear flip-flops, but I rarely see anyone wearing the "foam" bottom kind ($1 shoes). We only have one female teacher who really pushes the limits. I've seen her wear some very tacky clothes. I have RA and can't stand on my feet for long unless I have comfortable shoes. I've never had a boss at any job complain to me about the shoes I choose to wear. I feel like the girl KU mentioned, I don't think I'd work for someone who was like that. I've worn my sneakers with almost every pair of pants that I own, and I have some croc flip-flops that I wear 3/4 of the year. I'd probably get a note from my doctor if the P told me I couldn't wear them.

40. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 10, 2010

There is no stated dress code for our district that I know of. The kids in almost all of our schools are required to wear uniforms. At my school, the teachers aren't required to wear uniforms, but we are expected to dress professionally. Jeans and school shirts on Friday. No flip-flops, slides, or slippers. While I won't wear a spaghetti strap, I often wear sleeveless cotton shirts that button up the front. I generally wear separates - blouses or sweaters and pants, skirts, or capris (in warmer months - I AM in Louisiana, lol). I have been known to wear heels all day occasionally (good ones - like Aerosoles), but I have also worn sneakers - even with a skirt! It is more important for me to be able to work effectively with my kiddos than wear "feminine" shoes, lol. Kids aren't allowed to wear open-toed shoes at all, but all of the teachers wear them. I only just this year got brave enough to quit wearing panty-hose! Our P wears a suit and tie EVERY day, and our Counselor (the only other professional male) wears a nice shirt and tie, dress pants and nice shoes. I wish we had more professional men at our school - my kids need to see more of them...

41. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jul 11, 2010

As far as female attire goes I think most women do a pretty good job in dressing nice and professional. Some may show off a little too much and that's a problem.

However, my huuge problem is sloppily dressed men with dirty tennis shoes and untucked polo. I'm a strong believer in a shirt and tie everyday except for spirit days (Fridays). Anyone else think a shirt and tie should be REQUIRED?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.