Teacher dress code.....

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Pi-R-Squared, Aug 11, 2018.

1. Aces

Aces Habitué

Aug 13, 2018

Yes lol

2. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 14, 2018

To me, this would be dressy enough (with or without tie) and it is jeans... but I'm not an admin. So.....

[​IMG]

futuremathsprof and Leaborb192 like this.
  3. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Aug 14, 2018

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
    nstructor and futuremathsprof like this.
  4. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Aug 14, 2018

Yes, yes, and yes. I personally hate the feel of dress pants and think they look strange on me. Otherwise, I have no problems wearing nice clothes. My jeans that I wear sort of look like dress pants, so I could get away with it in a public school.

Leaborb192 likes this.
  5. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Aug 14, 2018

There are so many colored jeans and jean look clones that I don't see the problem, honestly. Personally, if all men wore jackets, the image above would be a great look, BUT, I haven't seen where that is the norm in any school I have worked in except admin. If OP has long sleeve dress shirts that he is comfortable in without the tie or jacket, perhaps with sleeves partially rolled up, and you add a non blue jean, most schools would be pleased. I base that on the fact that they will accept polo shirts. OP noted that black jeans fade (although not as fast as he indicated), well, so are your trusty blue jeans, and you don't notice it, or can ignore it, because you grab them and put them on because they are an easy habit. They can get pretty worn and we all just keep wearing them because they are our go to pant. New school year - find a new color in some other go to pant, keep and wear the black sneakers, and wear the polos, but avoid the tee shirts - tees are never dressy enough unless you are going to dress them up with that jacket in the picture.

6. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Aug 14, 2018

There is nothing wrong to be overdressed for work. Better than underdressed.

otterpop likes this.
  7. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Aug 14, 2018

I think that professional dress should be augmented at each level based upon the demands of the job. The reason admin can wear a suit every day is that they have demands that allow that to be done. If you are stooping to help students, kneeling to help students etc. as folks will do during the day in the primary levels, or playing recess, or sitting on tiny chairs, then the dress code needs to allow for that. (I think that khakis, nice--untorn--jeans are fine for that level.) If you are standing in a parking lot waving traffic after school when the feels like temperature is 100 degrees, then dress shorts (not cut offs or torn) would be best. Our PE teachers wear shorts and a polo every day. That is job appropriate, and they do a great job looking professional for their position. My job does not require much for the age level students I'm teaching, so professional attire for me would not include jeans. If your campus requires you walk miles per day, as mine does, then sneakers should be allowed. In my view it is a matter of the job dictating the level of professional attire.

As to being superficial, everything in this world is superficial. Image can't replace quality, but a bad image can prevent someone from discovering high quality.

8. tchr4vr

tchr4vr Comrade

Aug 14, 2018

I used to work in a district that basically left it up to us. We had a change in principal who said no to jeans. I've always hated that because as a theatre teacher, I can go from lecturing about theatre history, to climbing a ladder to hang and focus lights, to cleaning paintbrushes, to building a set in the shop, to choreographing a dance number. I tried to explain my reasoning, and I used the PE teachers get to wear shorts or sweats, and I was told it didn't matter, I was expected to wear dress shoes and dress slacks or a dress everyday--even sneakers were a no-no. I had to get a doctor's note to wear sneakers, because I do have some serious foot issues. I understand that idea of looking professional, but why is it okay to look unprofessional on Fridays and wear jeans? Why is it okay for the PE teachers to wear shorts and a sweatshirt? My students don't treat me any differently when I do wear jeans, so I don't really understand the big deal. My current P won't even let us dress casual for work days--it is so annoying.

nstructor likes this.
  9. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 15, 2018

What about jeans of other colors? They looks dressier and aren't blue.

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 15, 2018

Try dress yoga pants. Betabrand are amazing and look like dress pants. Love!

11. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Aug 15, 2018

I've not seen these, but the ads look great. They could be a god-send for those who are extremely active with little ones, theater, etc. I will have to try these.

12. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 15, 2018

Dress Barn makes a similar pant. They are all I wear.

13. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Connoisseur

Aug 15, 2018

Here’s what I’ve seen from my male colleagues.....

1. PE teachers wear khaki shorts with t-shirts.
    2. The other math teacher wears khaki pants with sneakers and polos or t-shirts.
    3. 2 guys who have been here 20+ years wear t-shirts and jeans.

14. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Aug 15, 2018

I have slip on dress shoes (no laces!) that are much more comfortable and easier to put on than sneakers. I even wear my dress shoes to go grocery shopping etc because they are just easier to wear. I only wear my sneakers for exercising.

15. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Aug 15, 2018

Perhaps, when you have tenure, you are less about the clothes. I personally don't find t-shirts adequate in business casual. You can't compare your dress code to the PE teachers in any district. As my PE teacher pointed out, she knew what she was doing when she chose that major - she is comfortable every work day.

Out of curiosity, are there only 3 other male teachers who aren't PE teachers? Also out of curiosity, how many of the female teachers are teaching in jeans and t-shirts?

16. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Connoisseur

Aug 15, 2018

Small school.... one other male non-PE teacher and he’s a khaki pants and sneakers guy.

The female teachers in elementary wear nice tops, blouses, cold shoulder type shirts, no jeans (unless it’s Friday), capris, and either flats, sandals, etc.... sometimes those bedazzled fancy looking flip-flops.... the only female HS teacher wears dresses.

17. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Aug 15, 2018

So if the female teachers don't wear jeans, except on Friday, and the other non PE male teacher wears khakis, I'm thinking that jeans and t-shirts might be best saved for Fridays. Just my opinion, of course . . . Might be time to either move up to some kind/color of khaki clone or colored jeans that don't scream "older blue jeans", and go with polo shirts with collars. I still see the black sneakers as not a problem.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
  18. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Connoisseur

Aug 16, 2018

Yeah, I think that's the course to go. I'm trying to find the best matching pant color that would match with a black belt, black sneakers, and polo shirts that are either red, green, dark blue, and gray...

19. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Aug 16, 2018

The beauty is that virtually all things brown, blue, grey and black are considered neutrals that can be used with any other color. So you could wear that black belt and shoes with virtually any knaki/non-blue jeans known to man and still be quite put together. A grey, a brown, and that drab, almost grey/green would get you through almost anything. I honestly can't think of a polo shirt color that would clash with any of them, because there is no pattern to have to worry about. Browns and greys make up the bulk of my dress pants, with a few pairs of black jeans thrown in for good measure. I do have a couple of very light colored, stone colored slacks that I have on hand, but they are prone to soiling, so they are not my main go to pieces. I wear a grey and black sneaker virtually every day, with some sandals thrown in once in a while. My tops are a rainbow of colors, so they are interchangeable with those slacks that I mentioned. I bet you could get by with a similar color chart - there is nothing masculine or feminine about that mix.

If you ever get a chance to watch What Not to Wear, the basics on what can be mixed with impunity is really quite educational and liberating, because most of us grew up thinking black belt and shoes must mean black pants, too. Forget most of the rest, but remember the color rules. If you have Amazon Prime, you can watch episodes there for free.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
  20. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Aug 17, 2018

https://www.jcpenney.com/p/dockers-...men/N-bwo3yZ53Z1z140w7&productGridView=medium On sale with coupon that is online.

I have some of these with the stretch in the ladies and love them. Wear well, great color selection.
    Kohls also has a sale:
    https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-2...-fit-flat-front-pants.jsp?color=Cloud&prdPV=1

https://www.amazon.com/Dockers-Khak...d=1534483666&sr=8-1&keywords=dockers+pant+men

If you don't like the give of slight stretch, you can find the same styles and colors in 100% cotton, twill, and many of them in colored denim. Dockers is just one of the most comfortable pants I've come across with great color choices.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
  21. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Aug 17, 2018

Don't you teach at a non-public school, though? And why do you think dress pants look strange on you?

22. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Aug 18, 2018

Yes, I teach at a private school and our dress code is business casual. I have to dress up for big events like graduation, but I hate having to.

I just don’t like the look — it looks funny and out of place on me. Basically, I feel it looks good or can look good on other people, just *not* me. It’s my personal preference, that’s all.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
  23. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Connoisseur

Aug 18, 2018

I like wearing my button-up shirts and black dress pants. It’s the dress shoes that make me want to dress down completely. Also, ironing dress shirts isn’t exactly fun either. ;). Bottom line is wearing the black sneakers with black dress pants looked AWFUL! I’m gonna try some darker brown pants this weekend. I might even try on black jeans!!

vickilyn likes this.
  24. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Aug 18, 2018

Tell me about it. I refuse to iron my shirts and so I have them dry cleaned — it takes too much time and I can never seem to iron them to my satisfaction.

I hate dress pants and love dress shoes. The latter look so classy! Dress pants are just so horribly horrible! :fearscream:

25. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Aug 18, 2018

Maybe the black sneakers are showing age, as well? Maybe a sneaker that isn't just one color, but has some white (or any other color) on it, would make those black pants and sneakers a better match. Hubby wears grey sneakers, my son wears navy, and I wear a grey and black sneaker. I never give them a second thought!

26. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 18, 2018

After having struggled with foot issues for two years, I could not possibly care less what my shoes look like with my outfit as long as they are doing their job correctly. I usually wear retired running shoes or some very ugly but very supportive sandals. Thankfully, our admins don't care at all. I'd look into different tennis shoes for sure if the dress shoes bother you. Foot issues are no fun.

geoteacher and vickilyn like this.
  27. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Aug 18, 2018

I agree — foot issues are no laughing matter. For about a month last year, my foot kept aching, especially in my pinky toes and sides of my feet. It was miserable. Then, I got shoes with more room in the toe region and regular foot massages a few times a week and now my feet feel great. No more pain!

28. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Connoisseur

Aug 18, 2018

True with the aged "black sneakers." My dress shoes match my dress pants well. The sneakers are old and faded so black pants look darker than my sneakers. YUCK!

29. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Aug 18, 2018

Those truly are the magic words to live by. Since OP has a lift in one shoe, if I remember correctly, the shoes are most likely taking a beating too. I try to have at least 2 pairs of sneakers that accept my special insoles, and I have maybe 3 or 4 similar pairs of sandals that support my worst foot comfortably. Some days one pair feels a little better than another, so they get the job for the day. My shoes are there to allow my feet and legs to function - it is so much more important than being a perfect match to anything else I am wearing.

30. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Aug 18, 2018

These are the types of shoes I like to wear depending on how I feel and my outfit. (And even though I’m male, I still love buying tons of shoes. I have over 37 pair, lol!)

https://m.kohls.com/product/prd-3082603/sonoma-goods-for-life-mckinnon-mens-dress-shoes.jsp?skuId=61257400&ci_mcc=ci&utm_campaign=MENS DRESS/CAS SHOES&utm_medium=CSE&utm_source=google&utm_product=61257400&CID=shopping15&utm_campaignid=204517412&pid=googleadwords_int&af_channel=CSE&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3qTJmNH33AIVFsNkCh0GqAAZEAQYBSABEgKdF_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=COHx5qHR99wCFeIYrQYdESgCEQ

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/2507581539206850658?q=black+shoes+for+men&client=safari&sa=X&hl=en-us&biw=414&bih=622&tbs=cat:187,pdtr0:936965|936966,vw:g,init_ar:SgVKAwi7AUoKUggIhZg5IIaYOQ==,ss:44&prmd=sinv&prds=epd:7018801767089269961,paur:ClkAsKraX9mi1erPRG19I2K9LcxNvdnMPfD8TcPNtrSLX5ISUXYtbtNldQyQLGzL_KCsnMgH6Rr3gNg2UtE3CkPqcij7K051aFaJclyKWhUOhUooesPe128K5hIZAFPVH71od-xwf4QcCiFf7Cih7IzrpNsGvg,cdl:1,cs:1&ved=0ahUKEwi5tonA0ffcAhUUITQIHd0TC1YQgTYI_gU

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/7005612617553819441?q=black+shoes+for+men&start=40&client=safari&sa=N&hl=en-us&biw=414&bih=622&output=search&prmd=sinv&prds=opd:14675445469579685962,olvc:1,num:4,cs:1&tbs=cat:187,pdtr0:936965|936966,vw:g,init_ar:SgVKAwi7AUoKUggIhZg5IIaYOQ==,ss:44&ved=0ahUKEwic5IPw0ffcAhXDHzQIHQaKDPE4KBCELQgGKAA

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/1?q=black+shoes+for+men&start=40&client=safari&sa=N&hl=en-us&biw=414&bih=622&tbs=cat:187,pdtr0:936965|936966,vw:g,init_ar:SgVKAwi7AUoKUggIhZg5IIaYOQ==,ss:44&prmd=sinv&prds=num:1,epd:11696295646732999439,paur:ClkAsKraX6DdVP3fRAbkRHq7TPGypJfRpBTJE-tYge_mHbADI2iqzJgJVs1fAkuS_k98xU45pQ6FrezYHedCpe4y3mUKS3KAs8lBLvs1SBZ1-420zLNy9LECwRIZAFPVH70soG3OgbOB8JwtmMQLq5cDjdjDbw,pid:11696295646732999439,cs:1&ved=0ahUKEwjQ8pXl0ffcAhXYCTQIHZTfBT44KBCCNgj_BQ

https://www.hollisterco.com/shop/us...VFsNkCh0GqAAZEAQYASABEgLM6PD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

31. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Aug 18, 2018

I'm telling ya---ditch the laces. I buy a new pair of these puppies every August for the new school year, and they are the only shoes I wear, except for my running sneakers when I decide to go jogging.

https://www.amazon.com/Bostonian-Bo...123011&psd=1&keywords=bostonian+slip+on&psc=1

32. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Aug 18, 2018

I have some shoes like these and wear them on occasion, but I like the laced look. It fits better with my outfits:

https://lookastic.com/men/blue-jeans/looks

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pinterest.com/amp/pin/513340057508023728/?source=images

33. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Aug 18, 2018

I hear you! I choose shoes according to whether or not they fit with my orthotics. Needless to say, most days I wear running shoes.

34. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Aug 18, 2018

Man, it would be a cold day in... um... the classroom... before I wore either a jacket or tie as a teacher unless it were a super special event.

Anyway, the obvious answer to this question is that your principal is a man too. He's wearing what he considers to be professional. Track his outfits for a few days and assume that you can probably be a little bit dressed down compared to him.

SpecialPreskoo likes this.
  35. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Connoisseur

Aug 19, 2018

I have a noticeably shorter leg so it costs for me to build up every shoe to get my legs even. So my shoe collection is limited and I wear them as long as possible.

36. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Connoisseur

Aug 19, 2018

Well, I got me 2 pairs of GRAY pants!!! From Walmart!! I walked up to the fitting rooms and asked the lady working there if they would match the red shirt and black sneakers that I was wearing. She said they match fine. So I tried them on, looked in the mirror, and I looked “put together.”

On another note, I think I can get away with wearing t-shirts as long as I’m not wearing blue jeans. But, in the meantime, I’ll stick with my matching polos. I have a green one that I probably won’t wear with the gray pants but all the others should do ok.

37. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Connoisseur

Aug 19, 2018

The sneakers I’m wearing now are pretty beat up. My lifted shoe squeaks when I walk heel-to-toe! But they’ll get replaced when I can afford a new pair and its modification. :(

38. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Aug 19, 2018

Why?

You're not alone, I realize. I find it curious though. Why would you dress up nicer for parents than you would your primary audience?

39. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Aug 19, 2018

Maybe an elementary thing, but with parents, it's a pretty safe bet that I won't be spending any sort of significant time sitting on the floor or walking through mud.

bella84 likes this.
  40. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Aug 19, 2018

Ok, I understand that. You WOULD wear a tie and such every day if you knew that your clothing wouldn't hinder your classroom work.