Teacher Dress Code

Discussion in 'General Education' started by StudentTeach, May 26, 2011.

1. StudentTeach

StudentTeach Comrade

May 26, 2011

I'm sure most schools have some sort of dress code policy, whether it is actually enforced or not (among staff). To be honest I never received a faculty handbook so I don't even know if there is a written policy, but for the most part people in my workplace dress professionally -- we also have casual Friday once a month which would indicate all of the other days are not supposed to be casual. Some people's wardrobes really confuse me, though. One day someone will wear a blazer suit and then that same person will wear something that I think looks totally causal and really inappropriate (really tight or cleavage, etc). I always wondered if people actually get spoken to or in trouble if they wear clothes that are too causal (I'm in a HS). How is the dress code handled in your school?

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

May 26, 2011

We have a unwritten dress code, but no one ever says anything to the teachers that aren't following the dress code (at least in my school).

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 26, 2011

Ours is very specific.

As far as I know, everyone obeys it. It's been decades, literally, since I heard of anyone being spoken to about it.

When you come in for the interview you can see how everyone dresses; it's no great shock when you see it spelled out in the faculty handbook.

Let's just say that "casual" is not a word used in our handbook.

5. massteacher

massteacher Companion

May 26, 2011

My school is very casual. Jeans is something many teachers wear on a daily basis. I love it!

6. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

May 26, 2011

I've worked in the same school district for 18 years, and we've never had any kind of dress code until this year. Even now, we don't have anything in writing. We can't wear jeans unless it's an approved day and we pay $1. (Apparently professionalism can be bought for $1.) No sweat pants, no t-shirts, no flip flops, no cleavage, no visible underwear, no shorts, no tank tops. I used to wear jeans in winter sometimes, and I'd wear flip flops often because they didn't hurt my feet. Other than that, it really wasn't a change for me. Tomorrow I'm wearing denim shorts and a t-shirt because it's field day.

Funny that some of the people who seem to have made the dress code come about are the ones who don't seem to know we have one.

7. Ron6103

Ron6103 Habitué

May 26, 2011

We are generally expected to dress professionally except on Fridays. For myself, this is typically a dress pants, with a shirt and tie. Most men in the building follow this, and the women similarly dress quite professionally.

As for enforcement, I don't think much is really done. There is one teacher in our building who looks exceptionally unprofessional: he wears cargo pants, tennis shoes, and untucked short sleeve shirts on a daily basis. He has done this for two years now (and is un-tenured), and nothing has changed. This leads me to believe there is no enforcement. You would think someone such as this would notice the culture around them and dress accordingly, but apparently not... during his first few weeks, he got stopped and asked for a hall pass because he was mistaken for an upperclassman.

8. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

May 26, 2011

Ours is pretty casual. We can wear flip flops or jeans. But, we all look "put together" every day. I try to wear skirts, especially in the summer when it's hot. It can get quite cold here, so in the winter I tend to wear jeans more often. I always try to have a nice sweater, shoes and jewellery if I am wearing jeans, though.

9. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

May 26, 2011

Ours isn't spelled out, but seems to be common sense. Jeans are OK for field trips and on Fridays, most of us wear school shirts with them. There are teachers who wear jeans other days, but I'm not one of them. Because I teach preschool, I could probably get away with it, but I'm still pretty new so I don't want to push it :)

Now, that being said, I'd happily wear cords or khakis with a polo every day. I'm not one for having to dress really nice, mostly because I am around paint, drool, tears, etc. pretty much all day, and prefer clothes that are easily cleaned that I can throw together into an outfit in under a minute... but I'm low-maintenance in general :)

10. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

May 26, 2011

Our dress code isn't specific. It just says "professional dress." Apparently to one person "professional dress" means dress pants, etc. To another person, "professional dress" means jeans with holes and a hat. :rolleyes:

I'm really plain, and I still have a little tom boy left in me. I usually wear Dockers with a button down, polo, or sweater, and COMFY shoes. I am, however, planning on dressing up a little more next year. This is going to sound stupid, but I have a couple of dressier outfits and I feel more "get down to business" when I wear them, lol.

Beth

11. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

May 26, 2011

Our P said at our beginning of the staff year that she wasn't going to "baby" us with a dress code, and that we simply needed to look professional. That's her same approach to many things- lesson plans, times to work, etc- be professional and get your stuff done.

I don't think anyone at my school dresses inappropriately. Friday is our official "jeans" day. Most people will either wear a sweater/blouse/nice shirt with jeans or the school t-shirt. Some people will wear jeans during the week occasionally, but they're the super dark nice looking ones that are really meant more as "dress pants" anyway. Most of us dress very nicely a lot of the time. I tend to wear a lot of skirts and dresses simply because I think I look better/feel more comfortable in them then dress pants.

We are combining with a middle school next year. We've done some events with them this year. In my opinion, they all dress very unprofessionally. They were jeans daily (not even nice ones), flip flops, t shirts, etc. Our P/AP don't say anything. Maybe next year we can lead by example...

12. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

May 26, 2011

We have a dress code outlined in our staff handbook and it's discussed in great length at our staff meeting at the beginning of the year.
    NO: flip flops, spaghetti straps, shorts/bermuda shorts also, cleavage, halter tops

However, one of our reading coaches would always wear low cut tops with her cleavage hanging out and nothing was done. The "rat" in our school constantly wears flip flops but nothing is done about it. I wore slippers when I was 8 and 9 months pregnant because I was so swollen that I was being looked at for pre eclampsia and I was given a note stating I violated dress code!
    No jeans except for Fridays.

13. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

May 27, 2011

We are never allowed to wear jeans, not even on Fridays or spirit days. Other than that, we are expected to wear "business casual," though running shoes are not acceptable.

14. Born2beTeacher

Born2beTeacher Rookie

May 27, 2011

Our "dress code" is pretty standard- look professional, no cleavage, no underwear showing, no spaghetti strap/strapless tops (though tanks can be worn if the straps are thicker than 1"). Jeans are allowed on casual Fridays and field trips, and we're encouraged by admin to wear "Spirit Wear" with jeans. Generally everyone follows the code, but I don't think admin would be that strict about it anyways...

15. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

May 27, 2011

We can wear jeans everyday of the week...no dress code. Only one teacher that's an issue and she teaches 8th and 9th, and her clothes are very provocatve. I'm embarressed for her. She's very young so I hope it's just a stage.

16. Bioguru

Bioguru Companion

May 27, 2011

Our dress code isn't very specific. However, everybody dresses professionally. Nobody wears blue jeans except on Fridays and with a school shirt as someone previously mentioned. As far as the high school goes, I've never seen anybody sloppily dressed. Everyone looks pretty sharp!

17. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

May 27, 2011

Fridays are jeans day. For the rest of the week, there isn't a written dress code, but most of our faculty dress in a "workplace casual" fashion. Slacks, capris, walking shorts, etc. The coaches wear shorts and flip flops most of the time. We don't have many really young faculty members, so we don't have those inappropriate issues that others have mentioned.
    We had a teacher a few years back that was dressing like a teenage. It was right around the time that Brittany Spears video came out where she was dressed like a Catholic schoolgirl. Yes, a teacher i short plaid skirts with thigh highs. It was ridiculous. Then she complained to the principal that the boys were looking at her butt.

18. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

May 27, 2011

The extreme variety here is what suprises me a little bit. From no dress code/extremely casual to very professional and no casual what so ever.
    I think as a teacher (especially elementary) it is important to be comfortable. Yes we need to be professional, but it is not the same as other business environments. I can say right now, I enjoy days I get to wear jeans much more than the days I can not.

19. Mrs. Rubble

Mrs. Rubble Rookie

May 27, 2011

Our principal encourages professional dress and says that teachers shouldn't be expected to be treated as professionals if they don't care enough to look like one.

20. cruiserteacher

cruiserteacher Comrade

May 27, 2011

We don't have a dress code. It's actually part of our negotiated agreement. That being said, most if not all of us dress professionally throughout the week and causal on Fridays.

21. marcus903

marcus903 Companion

May 27, 2011

I hope I'm not going off-topic, but I will explain my student dress code:

-We are not allowed to wear short shorts.
    -We are not allowed to wear outdoor clothing.
    -Sagging is not allowed

There is alot more, but I will have to get my student agenda first.

22. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

May 27, 2011

I know of a school that does a "What not to wear" fashion show at the beginning of every single school year.....Not mine, I might kill my admins if they did that. Basically, it's business casual and yes you may wear sneakers since you stand all day.

23. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 27, 2011

I'm a sub in which I got the sub handbook eons ago when I 1st began, but never heard anything about a dress code ever since & that was since Jan 1999.

I know teachers wear jeans & flip flops M-F if they want, so that's the most casual I know. I've never seen anyone wear a skirt that's of a questionable length before. Many teachers in my district are pretty tacky (sorry to say). I've never seen a teacher wear hosiery & high heels before & I've been around my dist for a LONG time.

24. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

May 27, 2011

We've got one, but it isn't enforced much by the end of the year. The principal himself prefers to wear jeans and a school t-shirt, and so he is always announcing "dress-down days".

Most of the faculty dresses sensibly and looks nice. There really is no need for a dress code when everyone seems to use common sense.

25. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

May 28, 2011

We did not have one at my last school, other than not vulgar or revealing dress. They tried to implement one and the union jumped all over it, because if they can reprimand or fire you for it, it has to be part of the contract. We wore jeans on Friday (that was actually encouraged with school colors) but people wore jeans throughout the week, too.

Current job - no jeans, no flip flops, men must wear shirts and ties, which I think is totally unfair, because women can wear pants and a knit top but they have to be buttoned up to the neck with a tie. We do have days where we can wear jeans if we pay usually $5 to some charity. And I think on pay days we can wear business casual - which really only affects the men - they will often wear khakis and a polo on those days.

The funny thing is, I felt that people looked more professional and put together at my last job, even with no dress code. People always had nice clothes, hair done, full make up, etc. Here, I feel like everyone dresses kind of sloppy, even though there is a dress code - and I am falling into the trap. I have noticed there are a lot more days that I am running into school with my hair in a ponytail, no accessories and little make up.

26. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

May 28, 2011

We don't have a specific dress code. Our school is a new principal and the principal before was very relaxed. Teachers at this school dress very professional some days and some other times they dress very casual. I even saw the AP wearing flipflops but she said it's because her feet get swollen with the humidity.

I like to dress professonally because I feel more confident. That's just my style. This year, however, I've been suffering from severe foot pain and I've had to wear really comfortable shoes or even gym shoes at times because of the pain.

27. dibba

dibba Rookie

May 28, 2011

At our preschool the rule is no visible tattoos and no butt crack showing when you squat down.

28. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 28, 2011

Do they seriously have to tell people that???

29. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

May 28, 2011

Our dress code is casual given the population that we have in our school. Setting IV special education services. The teachers dress appropriately. It is the paras that are spoken to about their dress.

30. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

May 28, 2011

Our dress code is written in the teacher's handbook, and we are pretty casual, but professional. If a teacher does not dress appropriately, they definitely get spoken to.

31. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

May 29, 2011

Ours is professional... and spelled out for us. Dress slacks, dress shirts, skirts must come below the knee, dress shoes (dressy sandals count as long as they have a backstrap), men must wear a tie, nothing tight, no cleavage, no underclothes showing. The must casual we get is being able to wear khakis and a school polo on Friday. Absolutely no denim of any kind at any time.

It is kind of odd, though - some people get spoken to about their clothes; some get away with not following the rules. Still not sure how that one works.

32. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 29, 2011

No written dress code, our principal said two days before the start of this past school year that jeans only on Friday would be a new thing. It was clearly not his idea, but he was passing the message along from someone else. I remember joking with Ima that maybe all the principals in our state got the same speil from the higher-ups. Anyway, people mostly adhered to that for the first half of the year, but since then jeans are back throughout the week.

When he started the conversation a teacher interrupted and asked desperately, "You're not taking away flip flops, are you?", and he said, "Oh, no...I wouldn't do that." :)

33. AndreGreen

AndreGreen Companion

May 30, 2011

Our Dress Code is never really enforced. But Monday-Thursday we Dress Up, and Fridays we Dress Down with the rest of the school, but it you must pay they want you to pay the $1.00 fee.

The Male Teachers usually wear Shirts, Ties, Polos, Sweaters, Khaki's, and stuff like that. When it's warm out, most of us wear Polos.

The Females usually wear skirts, capri's, heels, sleeveless shirts, etc.