Teacher does not have room ready

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by jenn888, Aug 8, 2009.

1. jenn888

jenn888 Rookie

Aug 8, 2009

never mind now........... WOW you guys are touchy!! I must have hit a nerve with some of you:haha:

3. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 8, 2009

Are you describing me after my first year??? Haha. EVERYONE got so mad at me because I waited until the last minute to set up my room. I was out enjoying my entitled summer! I went to vegas my last weekend of my summer and strolled into work the next day. The principals even talked to me and told me my team was disappointed! I furiously went back to my team and asked why they were going to the principal about me. They thought I wouldn't be ready in time.
    I finished in enough time. I still get bitter thinking about it. I had a horrible first year teaching and needed a summer to cool off. I came back by the required time and had a very successful second year.

4. wig

wig Devotee

Aug 8, 2009

The above post may be why the teacher on your team does not have her room done.

There are those teachers who do not feel they should come back one day before their contract time. As long as her room is done on time I guess that is the most important thing.

5. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Aug 8, 2009

I think she has an excuse... I think that excuse is summer vacation. I will admit that I'm the type to want to get it all done over my vacation if I am able, but I am not required to take time out of my summer to do so. I wouldn't expect anyone else to take time out of their vacation either! I don't see how this makes your team look bad if she's not ready anyway...

6. MsDeb

MsDeb Comrade

Aug 8, 2009

My neighbor is just like this and every year I am amazed at how she pulls it all together at the very last minute! Some folks work better that way! It's not my style but it works for her!

7. baileybear36

baileybear36 New Member

Aug 8, 2009

who do you take care of?

I will tell you what I tell my kids:

Take care of yourself. SHEESH!

Also...you don't have to worry about it; she does.

8. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Aug 8, 2009

It's her class, I'm sure she will find the time. I would not worry about her and her time schedule. She knows what she has to get ready by the 18th and I'm sure she will figure it out. If her room is a mess when school starts it reflects badly on her, not anyone else. Basically I think you are stressing about something you can't change and is not your responsibility.

9. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Aug 8, 2009

I am a firm believer that our summers are ours. We are not paid for the summer so therefore we do not have to work. Unfortunately, many of us do, which creates the president that certain things should be done upon arrival (room setup, newsletter to parents, 1st week plans, etc.). I agree that with the number of meetings we have the first week back that it is helpful to have the room ready, but in all honesty, why would the administration every scale back the number of meetings if we don't appear to have some need for time to setup? I have been in my room once and that is all I am planning to do prior to the workshop week. I have sketched our my first few days from home and I think it'll be ok. I also know that the first week (workshops) I will be staying later than usual. I'd just let it go. I would be seriously pissed if my team were talking about me and how I am going to get my room in order.

As a side note, many on my team do go in the week before workshops to setup. I told them in May that I would be out of town the two weeks prior to workshop week and would not be meeting or planning during that time. They were shocked, but the reality is that is when my husband is able to take time off. I may have the "whole summer", but he does not and it is his busiest time of year so we go the week or two prior to school starting which is still a stretch for him.

10. frogger

frogger Devotee

Aug 8, 2009

It's her room and if she works on it during the time before and after those meetings - that's her decision. I wouldn't go into school before just because some parents will be wandering the halls - those parents would know that it's summer and rooms wouldn't be ready yet.

Don't stress about something that's out of your control.

11. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Aug 8, 2009

I think if there is still a week and a half left until school starts, that is plenty of time to get a room set up. We have had people get hired the day before school starts and still get their room set up in time.

12. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Aug 8, 2009

I followed a teacher that when we were year round and rotated. She was never done when I was ready to move in. Just did it anyway. She went to her own beat. When she retired I had to finish up cleaning out her room, was moving into it. P got aides to do most of it. I got some great things from it. We just realized that's the way she was and we couldn't change her so why worry about it.
    Quite frankly, I don't have to worry about what others do, I just worry about myself.

I have had parents come in before school and have had piles and messes all over. It's our time to get ready for school not to talk to them. We were even allowed to be in the building during registration, which I am glad. then we didn't have parents coming down.

13. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 8, 2009

I actually worked with a teacher who wasn't fully ready on the first day. She came in at the last minute. Honestly, I doubt the parents noticed. She put up the crucial stuff but left some of the other stuff for later. It worked out. I wouldn't have done it but different people have different styles. It wouldn't have been a reflection on any other teacher if it had been noticeable.

What aggravated me about the teacher at this time was that she had chosen another "camp" duty during that week but did not compensate extra for that towards her room. She got paid extra for it and I felt like her room needed to have some consideration too. In the end I realized it really wasn't a big deal. Being an aide, it did affect me but I did my part during the prep week and then I let her know what was left over as her part. She didn't dare ask me to continue finishing it. Between all the professional workshops, moving rooms, securing the appropriate furniture and a host of other things, she knew she had been blessed with a lot of help. So in the end, it worked out and I realized that kids were fine. It didn't hurt a thing.

14. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Aug 8, 2009

I don't think it's an issue at all. She is not obligated to come in early and set up. If she's not ready to teach on day one, then that is a problem - but not for you unless she also teaches your students.

I am the type that goes in early and likes to have everything set up, but maybe, just maybe, one year I'll just have all of the furniture stacked in the middle of the room and bare walls and let my students help me create the room. (Okay, maybe that wouldn't be ideal for K, but it could work.)

15. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Aug 8, 2009

I agree.

It's her classroom. Let her worry (or not). Focus your worry energy into doing something special in your own classroom :)

16. Hamster

Hamster Comrade

Aug 8, 2009

Her team needs to take a chill pill and worry about their own room.

17. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Aug 8, 2009

I don't think it is anyone's business as long as she is ready on the first day of instruction. If the P/AP are contacting her, they are asking for a law suit. They are essentially asking her to work for free outside of her contract. I started my first year in December and reworked the whole room in 2 days over the winter break, it can be done!

18. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 8, 2009

I think you did! I don't think people (in general) like being told to do something they clearly don't have to do. If we responded this way, what do you think your teammate is thinking? Maybe you can just smile at her when she comes back... instead of gripe. NOT that you would! I'm just sayin...

19. alilisa

alilisa Habitué

Aug 8, 2009

I have a couple of those teachers at my school. They stroll in, then get stressed out about trying to get everything done! They want us to help them. Most of us have caught on and make ourselves look busy when they come to ask. We then sort of chuckle when they are trying to get everything finished. These are not the teachers that work best under pressure. I know they don't have to come in early, but don't expect us to help them out either!

20. tcherjen

tcherjen Comrade

Aug 8, 2009

I can't get into my room until a day before we are suppose to back. It is my first room too. :) I am not worried it will all come together with probably some late nights working on it.

21. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 8, 2009

Shooooot, I don't even have time to help the teachers that DO come in early. My work doesn't stop until after the last day of school!

22. Ilovefirst

Ilovefirst Comrade

Aug 8, 2009

I am SURE I had a colleague or two saying things about me and my room not being ready 2 weeks before school started last year. I had had an awful year the year before and needed EVERY day of my summer possible to regroup. And it really irritated me that people expected me to give up my vacation to work in my classroom. It was just the year I was coming off of.
    I spent 1 day the week of workshops and got the rest done by staying just a little later on workshop days. I know it drove my colleague nuts as well as another grade level team. When parents came in to meet me they totally understood that it was summer and the room wasn't ready yet. The kids thought it was funny that I had a mess like they had messy rooms at home.
    This past year was a much better year. I have been in 2 days (1/2 day each time) cleaning out and organizing. My room looks awesome now and is ready for name tags, coat hook labels, etc. I don't plan on going back in to do those things until our workshop days. But, I know I'm all set up except for those things.

23. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Aug 8, 2009

I can't get in until 2 days before we are suppose to be back but unfortunately we just moved schools and everything in our old school is in piles in the gym. We have to move everything to our classrooms and I'm the furthest classroom from the gym :(. I know it will be a horrible 2 days and am planning on being there for 10 hour days.

24. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 8, 2009

My room is not ready yet! We start our teacher meetings on Thursday morning, but I have a "New to school" meeting on Wednesday afternoon. I have plans for all day Monday, but will go to the school on Tuesday to hopefully finish setting up.

25. lovemyjob

lovemyjob Rookie

Aug 8, 2009

Depending on what is required of the teachers, some classes there isn't much to set up because the district wants everything student created. That includes the alphabet chart, calendar, BBs,etc...Or the teacher has her own system every fall because she has done it for several years and has it down to a science :)

26. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Aug 8, 2009

I am one that takes ALOT of time moving things around, organizing, etc. Some don't take that long. I like to start earlier. I will tell you here school start 2 weeks from now on the 24th and me and one other teacher have started on our rooms. No one else on my team have started. Different strokes for different folks. Personally I would rather spend time now getting things straight so the beginning of school runs smoother. But that is me. TO EACH HIS OWN!

27. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 8, 2009

I'm one of those people who gets looky-loos passing by the day before school starts asking-are you going to be ready? Yes, I usually pull it all together but want to go through everything and get rid of what I don't use, sometimes rearrange the furniture or change bulletin boards because I decide I don't like them.

I was at school most of last week (teachers don't report back until this Monday). But I was in meetings and helping some new teachers organize their rooms so I didn't get as far on mine as I had hoped to.