Teacher Discipline questions

Discussion in 'General Education' started by marcus903, May 29, 2011.

1. marcus903

marcus903 Companion

May 29, 2011

I got some questions about Teacher Discipline. Please answer them.

1. If you are written up by your principal, does that effect your teaching jobs that you will get in the future?

2. Do you have to sign the write-up?

3. What happens when you are written-up?

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

May 29, 2011

Marcus, this really varies from school to school, district to district. I don't know of a teacher in my school that has been written up. Doesn't mean that it hasn't happened, I've just never heard about it.

From what I understand, a write up is district specific. So, it might effect keeping your job, but these aren't shared with other districts or perspective employers.

Again, I've heard that signing varies from district to district. But, I would think that you would have the right not to sign the write up or to write a rebuttal to it.

Consequences vary, but they can be as simple as a slap on the wrist, don't do it again to a lose of a job or put on an improvement plan.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 29, 2011

Fortunately, I have absolutely no idea.

Though in my building, I sense there would be a conversation before it got to the "write up" stage.

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 29, 2011

I've never had any experience with this, and I haven't worked with anyone who has, either. From what I understand, any meeting that involves complaints or discipline against us, is only done with a representative of our union present. Documentation would certainly remain in our personnel file; consequences would depend on the severity of the offense--from a verbal or written reprimand up to loss of teaching credentials.

6. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

May 29, 2011

Generally what happens is the principal tells the teacher to do or to not do something - "since you're a math teacher, you need to start teaching math" or "stop showing movies every day."

Generally, the teacher complies unless they are a moron or have a really good reason not to.

7. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

May 29, 2011

Good questions.

I have no idea.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

9. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

May 29, 2011

All I know is if I were ever written up because of something I would either refuse to sign or sign but add "signed in protest" or something along those lines.

10. funmath

funmath Rookie

May 29, 2011

I agree with mopar's comment.

11. Loomis

Loomis Rookie

May 29, 2011

I'm not sure what state you reside in or what it was the person was written up for. However as far as it becoming a situation where it will become permanent on ones record, I'd have to say it depends on the severity of the issue.

12. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

May 29, 2011

Why do you want to know? Are you asking this question with an intent? What is that intent?

13. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

May 30, 2011

If the P is able to "write up" teachers, I've never heard of the policy. Frankly I don't think we need it. I can say without a doubt that 100% of the teachers at my school are true professionals and would never do anything worthy of being "written up." If something rubbed the P the wrong way, it would probably be something that was more of a difference in teaching or managing style or something that the P wasn't sure about. In that case, she'd have a conversation with the teacher about it and they'd work out something together.

14. marcus903

marcus903 Companion

May 30, 2011

Remember that I'm here to learn about the basics of being a teacher.

15. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

May 30, 2011

I've never known anyone who was "written up" for anything. I know a few teachers who received "needs improvement" ratings on their evaluations. None of it was ever a surprise. They knew the areas for improvement before it ever got to the "official" stage. Most of the time the teachers fix the issue. When they don't, they don't have their contracts renewed. I've never kept up with any of them afterward, so I don't know if they found other jobs in teaching or not.

16. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 30, 2011

Being 'written up' is not the 'basics' of being a teacher. I'd venture to say that most of the professional educators here on these TEACHER forums have not ever been written up. Your questions are veering far from interest in the 'basics of being a teacher'.

17. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 30, 2011

I agree...most teachers do not get written up. It would absolutely crush a teacher as it's not something to be taken lightly.

18. Curiouscat

Curiouscat Comrade

May 30, 2011

There was a teacher in my building that was written up because she left here room alone while she went to the other end of the hall to talk to another teacher. Leaving your class unattended is a major no-no in my system. She had been warned several times before she was written up. She was at least 400 feet from her classroom. She retired about two years later so, I don't think it really mattered to her as far as future employment. In my 17 years in this system this is the only case I know of, but then I am sure people don't advertise when they are written up. I know I would be devasted and embarrassed if I was written up. I take my job very seriously, and I am a major rule follower.

19. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

May 30, 2011

In my former school, another teacher told me she was written up for having the class schedule posted outside of her room and not laminating it. I was hired 2nd quarter and was rightfully extremely behind all the other teachers. I put my non-laminated classroom schedule outside the door and was relieved I was finally getting something done. I was warned that it needs to be laminated or I'd be in trouble with the P. So that was yet another "small" thing keeping me from catching up.

Marcus, are you observing or volunteering for any teachers where you live? The internet is cool, but real life experience is absolutely the best way to learn more about teaching (or anything else in life actually).

20. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 30, 2011

Any administrator who writes up a professional educator for a non laminated schedule has power and control issues. I am fortunate to not work for such people. My principal has a good understanding of how teachers are performing...he's not out to 'getcha', in fact, he's quite happy trusting people to do their jobs well...and those who don't, 'get the idea' quickly.

21. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Jun 1, 2011

I've been teaching for almost 4 years and I'm not even sure what you'd have to do to get "written up". I have principals/ department heads talk to me about what I need to do or not do and it was reflected on my evaluation, but "written up" is really a student type of term. Teachers are professionals and principals expect that if they tell you to do or not do something, you comply or lose employment. Like the man said, "Do or do not. There is no try."

22. Bioguru

Bioguru Companion

Jun 2, 2011

I've never been written up nor do I know any teacher that has. The only situation I'm aware of is a private (not so much anymore since almost everyone knows) conversation that the P had with a teacher due to excessive sick/personal days.