Teacher/Director Qualifications

Discussion in 'Montessori' started by Blue, Jan 19, 2009.

1. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jan 19, 2009

I have been asked by a Montessori owner to interview for a Director position. I don't have any formal Montessori training. I thought that Montessori staff had to have special training. Does anyone know if I can work at a Montessori school with a BS in ECE?

3. Yenna

Yenna Companion

Jan 19, 2009

Since the name Montessori is "held in the public domain", anyone can open a school and call it Montessori without even a bit of the Montessori fundamentals, which are:
    3 year age span
    3 hour work cycle
    social responsibility
    individuals learning at their own pace
    choice in activity
    freedom of movement
    Look for schools and teachers accredited from AMI, the Association Montessori Internationale which Dr. Montessori began to safeguard her life's work.

4. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Jan 19, 2009

The American Montessori Society is also an accredited organization and if you're in the United States chances are 50/50 that if it's a true Montessori school it'll be accredited by either AMI or AMS.

If it truly is a Montessori school, how would you as a non-montessorian be able to support teachers in a montessori way? Having worked in a school that was supposedly a montessori school without a montessori trained director, I found myself having to explain everything I did. It was really tiring and I eventually quit to work somewhere else. How would you educate yourself on the Montessori philosophy?

5. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Jan 19, 2009

I believe you can. Do they have to abide by daycare licensing regulations?

6. Pattypoo

Pattypoo Comrade

Jan 19, 2009

Can you take the Montessori Administration training? I would ask the owner if this could be a condition of taking the job. Good Luck!

7. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jan 19, 2009

I agree that without an understanding of Montessori, the job would be difficult. And, I wonder how I could lead a team when I am not proficient in Montessori. If offered the job, I would have to get some training in order to do a good job.

Don't worry, I have extremely high standards, and would never put a center or myself in such a bad situation.

8. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Feb 4, 2009

How did the interview go?