Teacher Desk

Discussion in 'General Education' started by SwOcean Gal, Sep 2, 2011.

1. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Sep 2, 2011

I have the typical teacher desk in my classroom and I had it last year as well- different room though. So last year in K, I had the desk facing the wall really- so it was easily accessible and I always let the kids use it- like take the stapler out, use the tape etc and put it back in the drawer- so really it was a shared desk. This year, I thought I could create a fantastic writing center and allow students to sit at the teacher desk during writing center and I have it soooo amazingly set up. However, after the first two days, I have come to realize- I already have a habit of piling my papers and necessary materials for the day there simply because of its location in the classroom. My guided reading table is perfectly located for guided reading, but not for my piling of daily materials and papers and resources. Now I am worried I am taking over what I thought was this perfect student writing center. I wanted this to be student land- not mine- yet at the end of the day I couldn't even see the top of it- I had a giant mountain covering the entire surface of the desk. Venting here, but also seeking any advice. Tell me about your teacher desk- how do you use it- shared, teacher only, or student only? I hope I can make the center work- I just need to better manage my own materials- need a new system obviously...

3. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Sep 2, 2011

Mine is definitely teacher-only, as is that entire corner. I have a place set up for student supplies and to turn in papers, so they don't ever need to go in my desk area. I kind of consider it my office. I have all my professional books on a shelf, then a filing cabinet, and a small table with my unit binders on it against the wall, then my desk is out from that a little, with my chair in between, so I have my own little corner.

4. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Sep 2, 2011

Mine is teacher only as well. I have some of that yellow police tape that says not to cross up on my desk on the first day to drive home the point!

I make a joke out of it to my students but I am very territorial. I wasn't at first but quickly changed. Especially after the first snot-nosed kid used his sticky hand to pick up my tape dispenser. And then after the $@#$%%% decided to beat my stapler (which was out of staples) on the table because it wouldn't work. It sure didn't after that.

My stuff is my stuff. I do have a small table of student supplies, all personally purchased by me, that sits at the back of the room. If anything on there gets broken or runs out they are collectively out of luck.

5. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 2, 2011

My desk if off limits. It contains my stuff and I am very protective of my stuff! Another teacher used my stapler a while back (while I was gone and she was watching my kids for a bit.) Well, she also let the kids use it and guess what?! They broke it. Now I have a little sign on it that says, "Teacher only. If you break it, please fix it!)

6. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Sep 2, 2011

Just make a habit of NOT putting stuff there if you really plan on using your desk as a writing center. I moved a big cabinet into a corner that I'm planning on using as a place to pile my papers onto, in hopes that I'll have a neater desk to do conferences with students about their writing. Perhaps you can find an area in your classroom where you can have neat piles that won't end up on your desk. I'm also using the stack-able paper sorters (similar to: http://ny-image1.etsy.com/il_fullxfull.172680297.jpg) and I'm keeping class folders and notebooks in a holder hanging up by my chalkboard (this is the one I bought: http://www.teachingsupplystore.com/pocket_chart_storage_14_x_4612-p-128231.html).

7. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Sep 2, 2011

I have a huge room and I like having my own area, so I keep my desk to myself (also helps to have a germ-free (haha) zone). However, I use a double pocket chart to organize my stuff: http://www.reallygoodstuff.com/product/doublewide+paper+pal+pocket+chart.do?sortby=ourPicks I use one side for the current week stuff and the other side for next week and there are a few extra spots at the bottom that I keep random things in - extra notes, extra work, sub stuff and that kind of thing.

8. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Sep 2, 2011

My desk is a student-free zone. On the first day, they learn not to touch it... mostly because my computer is up and running all day, and they definitely can't mess with that.

It also becomes a landmine for my papers... but the kids have full use of my counter top for "their" stuff.

9. Southernese

Southernese Rookie

Sep 2, 2011

Yep, my desk was strictly off limits. Honestly, the students I had loved to steal--they had no compunctions about it, and in fact made a sport out of it. So any sensitive material had to be physically locked up. Yes, I taught in a very crappy school.

10. alilac

alilac Rookie

Sep 2, 2011

Kids should have a different reading area. That's your desk and yours only. Even if not for the fact that it should be your area that should be respected. Kids don't need to be everywhere and in everything. They should have their own. Boundaries.

11. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Sep 3, 2011

I do have my own area for my stuff- I have two large tall cabinets that are teacher only, I also have a small table behind my guided reading table, that is off limits to students.
    I do adhere to the belief that the classroom is a shared environment and it is our classroom. It is not my classroom- we are building a classroom community, a classroom family, and from that belief I decided to try a beautiful new writing center. Students do have a library area for reading- the giant teacher desk, which I honestly do not have a use for besides piling mountains of papers and supplies on is being wasted, so I figured a writing center is perfect use of that otherwise wasted space! I never sit there and otherwise don't use it. Plus in first grade, my kids are pumped to sit and use the teacher desk.
    Bio- I think that is exactly what I need. Perfect advice! Thanks! I might pm you for more ideas...
    Thanks for sharing your use of your teacher desk and reasons behind your use. Great to know. Any other ideas?

12. mmemarcotte

mmemarcotte Rookie

Sep 3, 2011

This is something I really need a solution for too. I really can't see my desk by the end of the day!

13. massteacher

massteacher Companion

Sep 3, 2011

I actually got rid of my desk this year. I never used it except to pile papers on, and never ended up sitting there. The only thing I miss about it is the bottom drawer where I kept student files. I added two single student desks in the area for separate space to work during independent time if a child needs a quiet space, or to have an extra area for small group instruction. So far, so good as far as keeping my papers organized. I have bookshelves and organization containers to store pens, etc. However, we're only a week in!

14. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Sep 3, 2011

Personally, I don't let the kids have anything on my desk. I often have papers or things around that may be about specific students or things of a sensitive nature, so they simply no that corner is off limits. I mean, they have the whole entire room, so I don't think I'm "stifiling" them by telling them they can't touch my desk. I've never had a problem with it in the past. Sometimes I let the students spread out and read wherever they want around the room, and I'd have kids that wanted to sit under my desk. So I told them that one spot was off limits, and they were okay with that. If they really wanted to sit under one of our classroom tables to read, I let them.

If you really want the kids to be able to use your desk though, what about taking an extra student desk and putting it in a corner to pile all of your papers and things on? On my desk I use baskets and paper sorters. I have a basket for students to put completed work in that I haven't talked about with them yet and/or graded. I have another basket to put graded work in or things to put in their mailboxes. I have a small papersorter with two slots. The bottom slot is for papers that I've "dealt with" but need handy in the next few days. The top slot is for anything that comes in during the day that I don't have time to look at and just sit down. So during planning or at the end of the day, I know to go to that top slot and "deal with" any papers I've left there. I try to make sure that slot is empty when I leave each day.

15. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Sep 3, 2011

I don't have a desk. I had a small table in my last classroom. Students knew without really being told that they had to ask permission before taking any of my stuff- like staplers, hole punches, etc. I guess it's different in elementary but I'm really big on creating a classroom community and I just feel like writing teacher only all over my stuff sends the wrong message. I don't mind sharing my things with them as long as their respectful, and I never had any issues.

This year I moved into a new classroom and the teacher desk was probably from the 1950s and it was HUGE. Way too big. I knew if I kept it than I would just end up making a mess, throwing things in the drawers and piling papers on top. I have to try extra hard to stay organized. Plus, it didn't fit at all once I had the classroom set up the way I wanted. So I got rid of it. My AP was so glad to hear that. He said he did the first thing as soon as he got his first classroom. It's not like I have time to actually sit at the desk anyways, I know I won't miss it.

16. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Sep 4, 2011

Here are some resources I gathered on THE TEACHER DESK.

Personally, I would focus on breaking the piling habit. An easy solution would be to place a hanging file crate with hanging files somewhere in the classroom and place your papers in there.

Good luck!

17. GAteacher87

GAteacher87 Companion

Sep 4, 2011

My desk is definitely off limits-- except for the Kleenex that I keep there for my sickly things in the room. :)

18. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Sep 4, 2011

My desk is mine only. The area has a desk, computer, small file cabinet, and bookshelf. Anything on my desk is off limits for students except for the rare occasion that I send a kid specifically for something.

I'm not a "piler", so I don't stack stuff on my desk. I have places for everything. Unless I'm using it, it is put away.

I have a student area with all the things that they need so they leave my stuff alone.

19. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Sep 4, 2011

That is exactly it!

Wow! Such great info here! Thank you for sharing! iheartrecess- that is exactly the info I need! Last year I did soooo much better, but this year only 2 days in and the piles are killing me! Ugh! Dreadful! Thank you! I'm checking out those resources now! Oh! You have it as a student area too! See, I am not crazy to let kids have ownership of the teacher desk! Yay!
    Thank you! Any more advice? I need help with this....