Teacher Desk...where to put it??

Discussion in 'General Education' started by LinzerCastle, Aug 1, 2008.

1. LinzerCastle

LinzerCastle Rookie

Aug 1, 2008

I will be allowed into my classroom in 10 days (yeah!) and have started thinking about arranging my classroom furniture. Like most of you, I'm lucky if I have 5 minutes during the day to actually sit at my desk. Most of the time I am either up or sitting at my guided reading table, which is kidney shaped.

So....I am thinking about placing the front of my desk up against a wall and then placing my kidney table so the front of it is towards the class (hope that makes sense), that way I can use one chair to go between the two and I can save valubale space in my room. Since I really only use my desk for storage and to complete paper work (when the kids aren't there) I thought this might be a good idea.

Does anyone set up their desk like this? Does it work for you or not?

3. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Aug 1, 2008

I think that sounds like a great idea! YOu will be maximizing your space and that is key. I don't have a desk because I rarely sat at mine so I gave it away.

4. lcluigs03

lcluigs03 Cohort

Aug 1, 2008

i'm getting rid of my desk this year. i have a sink with lots of drawers that doesn't work so i am making that my desk. who really sits at their desk anyway?

but i did what you are thinking of this past year and it worked nicely. :)

LC

5. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 1, 2008

I, too, am getting rid of the desk this year. I don't have a personal computer to put on it, and other than that, it just collects junks. I have tons of cabinets, so I'm going to be super organized with boxes and drawers.

6. Lareigna

Lareigna Companion

Aug 1, 2008

I put my desk at the back of the room, out of the way.

7. KMH

KMH Rookie

Aug 1, 2008

I use to have my desk in the back of the room, out of the way. I used student desks to hole my teaching manuals while I taught. Last year I decided that I would try the desk in the front so I would have more space for all the teaching books. I never sit at the desk. It worked pretty well. I'm moving to a new classroom this year, and will probably have it up front again, it's off to the side now. I guess I like to make use of the counter space a desk provides. Being in the front, also kept it from being a major catch all. I was forced to keep it sort of organized.

8. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Aug 1, 2008

I had my desk at the back of the room most of last year because I found that I rarely had the opportunity to sit at it any way and when I did, it was usually to do work that required me to be out of the way of students. this year, however, I plan to keep my desk at the front of the room so that I can actually sit at it using my brand new chair!!! Yes... I said it! I have purchased a new chair from Office MAX. At my school, sitting at our desks at the front of the room while students are working independently or in groups is NOT frowned upon (of course we need to attend to the students as needed). I felt really odd about doing this my first two years at this school but now I realize I'd might as well since everyone else does it.

9. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Aug 1, 2008

I keep mine at the back too. I like the front of my room to be strictly for student use.

10. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Aug 1, 2008

I'm very old school, lol. I keep my desk in the front of the room but not in front of the board, so that my students can still see.

11. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Aug 1, 2008

In my old room I had mine in the back, and it fit there nicely.

In my new room, it just naturally fits in one of the front corners. It's definitely NOT the focus of the front of the room, though. I do like to have a desk to sit at during prep and after school. That way my reading table doesn't get cluttered.

Linzer, I think your idea sounds great!

12. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Aug 1, 2008

I think it sounds like a good plan :) I have a very small desk and make an L with the teacher computer desk and my desk. I just can't live without that little bit of personal space to put things on and organize papers for the day and a calendar to write things on.

13. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Aug 1, 2008

It would work just fine for normal people. I, on the other hand, couldn't put an irregular shape near a rectangle. I am not kidding.

And, yes, I know there is something wrong with me. But one has straight lines and the other is curvy.

14. LinzerCastle

LinzerCastle Rookie

Aug 1, 2008

Thanks for all the input! I think I'm going to try it....I'll let you know how well I like it!

shouldbeasleep.....that's hilarious! I've never thought about that before....I hope it doesn't bother me now!:)

15. love_reading

love_reading Comrade

Aug 1, 2008

This is actually the first year I am considering not having a desk. But, instead of getting rid of it altogether I am going to put it in a corner, backwards. Then I plan on putting my computer on it. I will empty out all the drawers and I have some small baskets to keep my desk supplies in behind my reading table on a shelf. Like you, I hardly ever sit at my desk. I am always at my reading table (horseshoe shaped) so that I can spread out. I am not really worried about keeping my reading table clean and tidy, but how I will like keeping supplies in baskets. I am very picky about how neat my desk and reading table are already. If I find by the middle of the year I can do without my desk, adios!

16. nayelismom

nayelismom Rookie

Aug 1, 2008

I'm a first year teacher and my school doesn't have a desk for me...

But I guess it's okay from what I'm reading!!! :lol:

17. teacher143

teacher143 Rookie

Aug 1, 2008

I really liked the idea of using one chair for both desk and reading table--that is something I will do this year!

18. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Aug 1, 2008

Like many others, I got rid of my desk, too. I like the idea of putting your horseshoe table next to your teacher desk so that you are sort of maximizing your space.

19. Historyteaching

Historyteaching Cohort

Aug 2, 2008

I like your idea. I can't go without my desk. Teaching high school, is a bit different from elementary. When I subbed in elem. I was always up and moving and going, especially in K..I never sat down. Now in HS, I'm up for lecture, moving around the room and during group work I will wander about. But I sit at it more, especially to grade papers and ot listen to student presentations. I have a roll-y chair and am known to roll around the room in it especially during the Friday current event game when I'm out of the 'spotlight' only speaking to say if hte answer is right or wrong. My students take over for that. Anyway, my desk is at the back of the room technically, because though I have two large white boards on both ends, my smartboard which I use the most is on the opposite end of my desk so the smartboard side is what i consider the Front and have the student desks facing that way...for now, I tend to rearrange at random as the year gets started-sometimes for my own amusement to see the students faces and from sheer boredom. We have laptops and have projects and a 'sound system' so to speak, because of the location of the wires and gadgets to run those things our desks can't really be moved to far away if we want close access to the vcr/dvd player and the like.

20. firstgradeteach

firstgradeteach Comrade

Aug 2, 2008

I have my room set up like this for this year. i think that I will LOVE it! I also have my "teacher only" areas behind the table. I actually put small plastic file cabinets under my desk so that I can access those from the table as well. I hope it works out for us!!!

21. GD2BQN

GD2BQN Comrade

Aug 2, 2008

I wonder how many teachers actually don't have desks. I'm always troubled with where to place mine. It constantly bugs me and I keep moving it and moving it. Last night, in fact, I asked my principal what she felt about where my desk was. It was like an L shape with file cabinets forming the shorter part of the L. She mentioned not to put the desk part against a wall because I need a "way out" in case I want to get away from parents.

I need my desk for my laptop, lesson plans and such BUT I could use just a kids' desk for that, couldn't I?

I'm conflicted. They do take up sooooo much space!!

22. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 2, 2008

My desk is right by my classroom door, with the front against the wall. I don't necessarily love it there, but that's where my phone is and I am on the phone a lot in my position. My room is very small--narrow and long, and having the desk where it is does open the room up quite a bit.

23. Budaka

Budaka Cohort

Aug 2, 2008

Those of you who don't have a desk, where do you sit when you grade papers? I also have to have my grade book locked up in my desk. We keep grades on the computer but also have to keep a grade book (so necessary I have been at two schools now where students changed grades on the computer!). I don't no where I would keep that stuff if I didn't have a desk.

24. Terrence

Terrence Comrade

Aug 2, 2008

I've decided to give up my desk this year because I haven't used it since I started teaching (3 years ago), and all it does is collect junk. The only desk I have in my room is the one that is holding my second computer station for Accelerated Math. I am using an online grade book, so I have no worries about kids breaking into my grade book.

25. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Aug 2, 2008

Make sure you place it near any outlets you will need to use!

26. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2008

My desk is in the front corner of my room. It's where the phone and network ports are, so it's the best place for my desk. I use my desk a lot. I do sit there during class sometimes. I'll read there during independent reading time, conduct writing conferences there, and work there during planning times.

Although it's in the front of the room, it's not in the way when I teach because I teach with a SmartBoard from the back of the room.

Plus, with the location of my desk I can't be seen through the window of my door, so I can lock the door, turn out the lights, and work in peace when necessary.

27. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Aug 2, 2008

I'll sit at the horseshoe table to grade papers or work. I do have a small desk that my classroom computer sits on so I can also grade papers at it so I'm close to our online gradebook.

28. ashley57

ashley57 Comrade

Aug 2, 2008

Yeah, my horseshoe IS my desk. Since I use it for the kids during the school day, it forces me to keep it cleared off. I have a bookshelf behind it to collect "junk" during the day.

It works out great. I have plenty of work room (much more than a regular desk), save space, and don't have an excuse for clutter.

29. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 2, 2008

Mine is in the front far corner of the room. It's not really my first choice, but I have to have it there because that's where all the hookups are--the phone, the ActivBoard, the audio enhancement system. Since my computer needs to be hooked up to that technology, my desk needs to be up front.

I have a table set perpendicular to the desk to make an L-shaped work area.

30. Goldie

Goldie Companion

Aug 2, 2008

Many years ago I got rid of the teacher desk as it was the "put it on my desk and sort later" place. I've always had a horseshoe table (I teach primary grades) where I teach small groups and work at. Last year, I'm at a new school and the desk is in one corner with my computer and phone. The horseshoe table is on the opposite wall and that is where I do my work.

31. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Aug 3, 2008

Mine was the way you described. Except I never sat at the desk. It stored stuff.

32. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Aug 3, 2008

I'm planning to do the same thing (sharing a chair with the desk and kidney table)! My desk has to be in the "front" of the room, although I'm going to tuck it away a bit in this little section we have for a sink and cabinets. I absolutely understand the curvy and straight lines.... I'm a little worried about how the two will fit together! :) I'm going to have my room like this in the front (from left to right):

Windows and built-in shelving for library books... More library space will be made using those plastic garage shelves to section off a bit of the library at a child-friendly height.
    In that area will be my rug (hoping for a new, bigger, non-smelly one!), easel, and director's chair
    Facing the rug will be my kidney table. I want it close to the library so the kids can grab new books during conferences.
    Desk behind the kidney table (perpendicular)
    Cupboards I just store stuff I don't use in and the sink

:)