Teacher Conferences

Discussion in 'General Education' started by bella84, Jul 18, 2019.

1. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jul 18, 2019

What's with these teacher conferences?

Teach Your Heart Out: https://www.teachyourheartoutcon.com/
    Get Your Teach On: https://www.getyourteachon.com/

I've seen them popping up on Facebook a lot lately, but I don't really understand the purpose of them. Most conferences for educators (that I'm familiar with) have some obvious focus, like reading or SEL or leadership, for example. But I can't seem to figure out what you would learn or do at these conferences. From the pictures and comments I've read, it seems like they involve dancing, bright lights, and Pinterest-y/TPT stuff. I guess some people are into that stuff, but I'm not. I don't remember anything like this early on in my career, but it seems to be popping up more and more often over the last year or so.

Has anyone attended one of these conferences (or known anyone who has attended) and actually found it to be worthwhile?

3. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Jul 18, 2019

I know that one of the Teach Your Heart Out cruises was actually a cruise. Personally, I would not want to pay the price of a cruise to go to a PD. Looking at the websites, I have no idea what the PDs are about.

bella84 likes this.
  4. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jul 18, 2019

I had the same feeling. It just looks like a party to me... Not my idea of a solid PD experience, but I guess we're all different and looking for different things.

5. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Jul 18, 2019

There is a teacher youtuber named Pocketful of Primary who went on the teacher cruise and posted a video. I think she liked that she got to other new teachers + spend time with them on the cruise after the PD. I don't remember if she talked about what the PDs are about.

6. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jul 18, 2019

I usually like to ask my district to fund any PD conferences or workshops that I attend. I can’t imagine them being willing to pay for something like one of these, especially the cruise, particularly if it’s impossible to find any information about what I would be learning there.

7. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Jul 18, 2019

Does your district pay for PD outside of the district? That is great. Teachers at my (old) school paid out of pocket for PDP credits required for certification.

8. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jul 18, 2019

Yes and no. We don’t have to earn credits for certification in my state, so that’s a non-issue. If it’s coursework for a degree program, you can request partial tuition reimbursement. For random outside PDs, like a conference or workshop, you can fill out a form explaining how it relates to your role and why it would be beneficial to you, as a professional, and also to the district/school. They have a PD fund and will approve requests that they think align to the district or building goals until the funds run out. It rarely runs out, and most reasonable requests get approved. The bigger concern is usually that they don’t want the teacher out of the classroom for multiple days (with a sub covering) as opposed to the funding required. People who aren’t classroom teachers (like literacy coaches, for example) are more likely to have their requests approved for that reason.

9. Vijay

Vijay New Member

Jul 19, 2019

Thanks for sharing.

10. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Jul 19, 2019

This is weird.

bella84 likes this.
  11. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 19, 2019

I’ve done those types of things.

I’m an introvert, so they always make me want to crawl under the table. I spend a lot of time rolling my eyes.

With that said, some of the ideas are really not bad, and I have used many activities I’ve gotten from these workshops. Typically, though, the presenters come to us.

bella84 likes this.
  12. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jul 19, 2019

I wouldn't pay for any of those kinds of PD out of my own pocket but if my school was offering to send me, I'd go. If I had to pay for a cruise I wouldn't want to be hanging out with a bunch of teachers :rofl: