Teacher clothes

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Pencil Monkey, Jul 11, 2010.

1. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Jul 11, 2010

Ok, so I am having the hardest time finding clothes for next school year. I was pregnant last school year and the clothes I had before that are in pretty ratty shape. I don't have time to iron so that makes just about all button up blouses untouchable. I need things that are easy to wear, still look great, and have modest necklines. My biggest peeve about women clothing is the necklines lately. No, I don't want to layer in order to create a more modest neckline because it is so darn hot in GA up until early November that any extra clothes are just going to make me sweaty.

Can someone point me in the direction of cute tops and dresses with modest necklines that have sleeves?

3. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 11, 2010

I like JCPenneys and New York and Company.

4. ms. yi

ms. yi Comrade

Jul 11, 2010

I love Ann Taylor Loft. They really do a great job creating clothes that are comfortable.

5. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 11, 2010

I shop almost exclusively at Anthropologie. I can also find some cute items on modcloth.com.

6. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 11, 2010

I find that even at JCP so many of the pieces are waaay too trendy for my taste and even the camisoles require a cami! :(

Last edited: Jul 11, 2010
  7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 11, 2010

I do well at Kohls, Sears and JCP. I LOVE the suits at JCP!!

8. tgim

tgim Habitué

Jul 11, 2010

J Jill and Eddie Bauer are my top places to shop, then Ann Taylor Loft and TJ Maxx!

9. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jul 11, 2010

This one has things that go under clothes to make them more modest, but they aren't full layers so they might not be as hot: http://www.nothingbareclothing.com/

There are a few other places that sell these, that's just one place that has them.

10. histonfan

histonfan Rookie

Jul 11, 2010

have you tired next the shop?

11. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Jul 11, 2010

I like JCP and Khol's as well. I also got a lot of things this year at Target and at Goodwill as well. I'm really happy because today I found a really cute dress marked waaaaaay down as well as a pair of nice black dress pants. You might like the Worthington clothes at JCP they are nice, dressy, and modest as well.

12. jday129

jday129 Comrade

Jul 11, 2010

I love their clothes. Just wish they were more in my budget :(

13. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 11, 2010

EddieBauer and Land's End are good with modest but attractive.

14. cmw

cmw Groupie

Jul 11, 2010

Kohl's has the best clothes. I don't iron either. :p

15. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Jul 11, 2010

Plus Land's End just sent me an email advertising free shipping this week! Love that free shipping. Also, if you don't like something at LE you can return it to Sears and avoid the shipping back. :)

16. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Jul 11, 2010

this code is good till midnight, central time, july 11
    at checkout‚ on the Billing Information page‚ go to the section labeled “Promotion Code” (above the credit card payment box) and manually enter the Promotion Code JULY11 and PIN 8102 in the space provided.

Free shipping at Land'sEnd.

17. teacherlissa

teacherlissa Comrade

Jul 11, 2010

Old Navy has some cute pieces...just beware of anything low rise. Teachers bend over and squat too much for low rise...

:)

18. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Jul 11, 2010

Ann Taylor LOFT also has a discount for teachers. Go to their website and sign up. It allows you to print off a 15% off card to use over and over again with a school ID.

19. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Jul 11, 2010

20. jteachette

jteachette Comrade

Jul 11, 2010

I shop at Kohl's. I just bought a bunch of heavy weight printed t-shirts that I can wear in the classroom, they also had some skirt and blouse outfits that I picked up with short sleeves and modest neckline. KMart and Walmart also have more modest clothes.

21. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 11, 2010

22. ms.

ms. Comrade

Jul 11, 2010

Every single time I have ordered something from Land's End I've had free shipping. :) I just google: lands end free shipping coupon. I love how long their clothes last! I spend an average of $8 dollars on a shirt from Land's End. I love their modern and original fit clothing; it's not baggy, but not clingy/tight.

I only shop their overstocks (they are the same quality as the non-overstock clothing.) I also love having free hemming. :D

23. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 11, 2010

Speaking of discounts, J. Crew also has a teacher discount-10% on non-sale clothes, I think!

24. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Jul 12, 2010

Here's a new free shipping code for Lands end, good til July 20:

KIDSTYLE PIN 3219

25. futureiowateach

futureiowateach Rookie

Jul 12, 2010

So I have been struggling with this as well, except with different issues.
    I am a male :)-D) and young, I am only 22, and I find that when I dress for the classroom some of my students are wearing the same things I own. Especially when they dress up for games. It makes me wonder if I am becoming that old creppy man that dresses like he is 16. While I will admit that many of the clothes I own I have had since high school, and I still like American Eagle (they are my favorite jeans) and Express I don't think I am that old. Still makes me uncomfortable.
    I am since starting purchasing my "teacher" clothes at the Gap, and Banana Republic and other "adult" stores. But even then, students have some of the stuff I have!
    The main reason I chose to post on here was to push the Gap. My female friend buys a lot of her "teacher" clothes here. They are cheap and nice. Just the other day we went shoping and they had a buy one top get one free sale. This included clearance. They also had a special 15-40% of sale. She ended up leaving with more than 10 nice shirts for under $50. I personally left the store with 11 shirts, and a pair of jeans for $48.00.

26. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Jul 12, 2010

I am at the point now where I buy clothes that I can wear to school and also out of school. I wear one of these tops (like CeliaB pointed out) all the time in school. They have been a lifesaver. It is too hot to wear a full tight tank top underneath clothes. You can also find these for cheaper.

https://www.missoops.com/products/details.php?product_id=8

27. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Jul 12, 2010

I just realized I linked to the lace kind. I wear the plain kind which is more conservative

28. cmw

cmw Groupie

Jul 12, 2010

:lol: They call it the Boob tube! I saw an ad for something similar on TV but it attached to your bra. That's a great idea! :D

29. Teachings4Me

Teachings4Me Companion

Jul 12, 2010

Hey everyone! Ladies, yesterday I went to New York and Company, which has been my go to for professional yet still fairly affordable teacher clothes. They had these great button down short sleeve shirts in a variety of colors for only $10. I had a 20% off coupon and walked out with 5 shirts for $42. I'm not sure how long the sale is going on for, but it's worth checking out!

30. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

Jul 13, 2010

I hate ironing and wear a LOT of dresses and skirts (and just had a baby like the OP)... most of my dresses are from Kohl's, Banana Republic, and Macy's, and Old Navy has tons of appropriate-length skirts. Dress pants and button-ups at NY&Co are always reasonably priced, too.

31. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Jul 13, 2010

I just saw that ad too! I was seriously considering getting it! lol So useful and it came in all sorts of colors and it looked nice and seemed comfy enough like it would not bother you.

32. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 13, 2010

Awww, I doubt you look like some creepy 16 year old guy!!!

I agree about Gap. I found a ton of nice fitting trousers there and tops. I also just recently spent a good amount at Old Navy. Gap and Old Navy are pretty much the only two places I shop at, anyways, with some purchases at Target and The Loft. :)

33. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Jul 13, 2010

I buy most of my stuff from NY and Co. They run a 50% off EVERYTHING (no joke, everything in the store) sale a couple times a year. I try to hit them then, and use the teacher's discount! They always have really good sales, and allow you to use the discount on top of the sale (though you can't use a coupon with it).

34. Ellensmom

Ellensmom Companion

Jul 13, 2010

If you sign up for email updates you can get Free Shipping almost weekly. It seems EVERY email I get (granted they send a bunch) has a free shipping promo.

35. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Jul 13, 2010

I found a website for womens and girls clothing that I think will suit my needs for the time being and bought some tops and dresses.

http://www.downeastbasics.com/