"Teacher Chic" Fashion?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MissKatie, Mar 19, 2011.

1. MissKatie

MissKatie Rookie

Mar 19, 2011

Hello, everyone!

I have precisely one summer to make "teacher-fy" my wardrobe, as during my senior year in high school I will be teaching in an elementary school classroom in order to earn college credit for an education degree.

Well... being a teenager, my entire closet consists of jeans, tee-shirts, sneakers, and hoodies. I am excited to shop for some "teacher chic" items, but I'm pretty clueless on were to begin.:help:

What do you all wear on a typical school day? What are some appropriate ensembles for a young "teacher" who will be surrounded by first graders all day?

Thanks!:)

Miss Katie

3. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Mar 19, 2011

Slacks, dress shirts basically nothing you would wear on a weekend or to a club.

4. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Mar 19, 2011

For first grade you will want to be able to move around and be comfortable. So I would recommend polo shirts, khakis, and a cute pair of good flats. Those are items you can find at old navy, target, and walmart.

5. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Mar 19, 2011

I did the same thing as a high school senior (although I was with 7th graders) and loved it! A couple of basic wardrobe pieces can help you formalize a little. Black and gray slacks are a really good idea. Since you'll be with elementary kids, make sure you're comfortable moving in them (also, make sure you can bend over without exposing anything). If your tee shirts are solid colors, they can still be worn, although you might want to grab a blazer. A couple of button down shirts are also good (just make sure to button one more than you might normally).

As a basic fashion tip, step into the Donna Karan section of the local department store. I can't afford much of her designs but I always get good ideas of business casual wear.

6. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 19, 2011

Think casual professional clothing, such as at the stores:

New York & Co - prices are pretty good

J. Crew

Ann Taylor

Banana Republic

I could say a lot more, but you get the idea. Get good comfotable shoes too.

7. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Mar 19, 2011

YES to the comfortable shoes! How could I forget? Aerosoles have always been my secret weapon, although I would love to get my hands on a pair of Danskos.

8. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Mar 19, 2011

Cardigans! Definitely get cardigans in a ton of colors. They are great for dressing up shirts, and they are usually on sale at Old Navy.

9. TeachingHistory

TeachingHistory Companion

Mar 19, 2011

Layers. Just because you are in the same room all day doesn't mean the temperture stays the same. Cardigans are a wonderful thing.

I also wear camis under almost everything and tuck 'em into my pants. That way when you have to stretch/bend over/etc. you don't have ANY chance for your shirt riding up and you flashing the world. I have a long torso so this helps me out a lot. (I can't tell you how many student teacher's lime green tiny underwear I have seen. How do you not know you behind is out for all to see? Gross.) It also solves the problem of having some shirts that have necks a little lower than I like. I don't know what size you are, but you might have to leave the juniors dep't and move into womens to find tops that cover enough and don't fit like a sack.

It's worth it to spend money on good shoes so your feet don't hurt. I buy a black pair and a brown pair (in the same style if they fit REALLY well) and wear them until they fall apart.

10. Sshintaku

Sshintaku Comrade

Mar 19, 2011

*Slacks (Old Navy or Target have nice pants for cheap)
    *Button up shirts
    *Sweaters
    *Dress shoes

-No skirts higher than your knee. If you move, they hike up, and then it's all bad. :)

11. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Mar 19, 2011

please oh please no halter tops lol
    We had a girl who thought it was appropriate to wear a halter top with decoration to school. It looked like a shirt one would wear when going out for the night!

12. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Mar 19, 2011

On the other hand, a halter top UNDER something might cover up any unwanted cleavage spillover (I have high-necked tees for just that purpose).

13. carlea

carlea Comrade

Mar 19, 2011

If you have an H&M close, you can pick up some inexpensive business-type clothing (blazers, slacks). Since you're still in HS, I'd suggest cardigans to dress up tops and cover up tank tops, then you can still wear them with your jeans and tshirts too.

14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 19, 2011

If you're the skirt type, some longish flowy skirts go well with T shirts in the warm weather,and sweaters and boots in the colder months. They also tend to be fairly cheap and machine washable, two big plusses!

15. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Mar 19, 2011

16. KatherineParr

KatherineParr Comrade

Mar 19, 2011

Two words: machine washable.

That's all.

17. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Mar 20, 2011

I walked into Banana Republic today. Most of what I saw on display would be appropriate for both a teacher and a teen.

18. Major

Major Connoisseur

Mar 20, 2011

MissKatie, I realize this is primarily a "female" thread..... nevertheless I offer this:

• Look professional
    • Look sharp
    • Look "put together"

When I started substitute teaching about 5 years ago I noticed lots of teachers dressed the way I suggested. I also saw lots of teachers who were "shabbily dressed." (Why would any professional dress this way?) :eek:

19. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Mar 20, 2011

1. shoes with some cushion.

M-TH casual professional

Friday: all depends on the school/Principal
    Hopefully they are good with jeans. After that you could be allowed anywhere from tshirts, to dress shirts, to school shirts.

20. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Mar 20, 2011

Often just adding accessories pulls a more casual outfit together. Dark jeans, long sleeved t'shirt, and a scarf can look good.

21. Chloe G

Chloe G Rookie

Mar 21, 2011

A lecturer at university once said to us don't wear anything that you could possibly see up it, in it, down it or through it. I try and stick to this. I teach first grade and I try to stick to dark colours, usually black or grey pants, 3/4 in summer and a nice top with a coloured cardigan when it gets cooler.

22. megawinn

megawinn Rookie

Mar 21, 2011

My husband teases me about my cardigan collection but I seriously almost have one in every color. They dress things up and down which is great. Also, they are amazingly comfortable. I have a longer (a few inches below the knee) denim skirt that I LOVE. I'm searching for something similar in khaki. Skirts are comfortable to me. I like them better than slacks and with the blue jean material, I don't feel too dressy.

Oh also... FLATS FLATS FLATS. I made the mistake of wearing a small heel one day during student teaching. It was two years ago and thinking about it still makes my feet hurt. :)

Good luck!

23. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Mar 21, 2011

Make sure you are dressing so no one can mistake you for a high school student. I know you are thinking about 1st grade and that won't be an issue, but think in terms of high school kids. For over 1/2 of my first year teaching, the lunch ladies charged me for a student lunch because they didn't know I was a teacher. I thought the slacks, skirts, dress shirts, etc covered that, but I guess I was wrong. Since you are thinking about the future, start checking out the "end of the season" sales. These are great times to get bargains. Kohls and Penneys both have racks that run 70-80% off and I have gotten work clothes at Kohls for 90% off.

24. MissKatie

MissKatie Rookie

Mar 28, 2011

Thank you very much, everyone! Yes, I think flats are a really good idea (especially because I'm very tall and don't want to tower above my tiny students!) I will also surely check out the sale rack at places like Kohls.

I was very happy to find the cutest, little "teacher sweater" at Goodwill, originally from a rather expensive company.:) I also found some conservative skirts that hit just above the knee.

Thanks again, everyone!

25. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Mar 28, 2011

Make sure other teachers where you will be working wear skirts that short. We have a few that do, but the older, more traditional teachers (and administrators) notice, and I've seen some "looks" as them when they walk by. Always try to stick with a little bit past the knee, as I know that it will ride up a bit when I sit down. Then again, I teach high school, and unfortunately I know that I have boys who will be watching for anything approaching a "Basic Instinct" moment in my classroom... Just check and make sure that you can sit comfortably and modestly in them. I have literally sat down on the floor in a dressing room before.

26. MissKatie

MissKatie Rookie

Mar 28, 2011

Haha- yeah, that would be terrible! I'll definitely have to sit down in the skirts, as I'd hate to have my skirt ride up during story time or something!:eek:

I think they'll be okay, especially considering they are long enough for me to were some conservative shorts underneath and turn them into a "skort." Still, I'll have to do some tests before I wear the pieces in front of a rowdy classroom.

27. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Mar 28, 2011

I love clothes.

I have dress slacks, casual slacks, skirts, and capris in all neutral and pseudo-neutral colors. By having neutral bottoms, I can mix and match my tops. I also love cardigans. I'm hot natured, so I wear layers year-round so I can take off a layer as needed. I buy things that are machine washable. No hand-wash or dry cleaning for me. Also change the looks around with accessories. I have foot issues, so I have to have comfortable shoes. However, I refuse to wear "frumpy" shoes. I like heels, and I have found brands that are really comfortable.