Teacher changing kid's clothes

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by sanasr, Aug 5, 2008.

1. sanasr

sanasr Rookie

Aug 5, 2008

Hi,

I'm looking for information for a fellow teacher. We are aware that we are not allowed to change a student's clothes in case he/she has an accident. But we would like to know where we can look up this information. We have a parent who is a non-English speaker and feels that the teacher is being insensitive by not changing/helping her kid in the bathroom.

We are trying to let her know that it is sexually inappropriate... please help.

3. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Aug 5, 2008

Does your school district offer interpreters? If not, I will just get the principal to talk to the parent and leave it at that. I also refuse to dress my students but I will give them verbal prompts. The only thing I will help with are zippers and buttons, but if a student is constanting asking for help, I do talk to parents. Do you have a school nurse that you can send this child to when he has an accident? Maybe try posting step-by-step pictures of the bathroom routine/changing.. for the student.

4. bballlady

bballlady Rookie

Aug 5, 2008

Your principal or administration should handle this situation. If it is the school policy they should be the ones to explain it to the mother. They need to find someone who can translate the information so the mother understands it.

5. sanasr

sanasr Rookie

Aug 5, 2008

Thank you for responding. :)

We are looking for this information ourselves because we don't have a principal. The office staff are not even aware of these regulations. Most of them came from another country where it is acceptable to change a kid's clothes.

6. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Aug 5, 2008

Check the teacher's code of ethics for your state. There should be something about innapropriate contact that y'all could base your policy off of.

7. starbucks

starbucks Comrade

Aug 5, 2008

I know our teacher's union has told us many times not to dress the children. Maybe the union has some info on this????

8. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Aug 5, 2008

This would fall into the school nurse's territory in my district. She would change the kid once and if it happened again she would call the parents in and discuss toilet training. From then on the parents would have to come to school and change the child themselves.

I work primarily with non-English speaking parents as well. We make it extremely clear to all parents before school starts that if their child is not independent in the bathroom they will be on their own, which is why all parent phone numbers need to be correct. You can see the video we made for the parents to view before school starts, we address toileting specifically in the video. We all try to be as culturally sensitive as possible but when it comes to toileting (or the lack thereof) we have to draw the line for safety and health reasons.

9. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Aug 9, 2008

Make a game of it?

:confused:Perhaps you could work on helping the children understand how to change clothes at the same time you are looking into policies and finding ways to talk to parents. I remember being a child and "playing" a race game where we were to try and put on the giant/adult sized clothes as fast as possible. I am sure you remember this relay, you put the clothes on top of your real clothes so there is no indescresion. Then we ran to the other team and took them off so they could put them on and put them back in the basket.

The big clothes would remove the unclothed issues, as well as the tight fitting issue. Then you can just work on put on leg in, now the other, pull it up ----and so on.

A few days of "playing" that and perhaps you child could become effective enough that when combined with the prompts and visual pix cues, he/she isn't needing help.

10. Chas

Chas Rookie

Aug 10, 2008

That's the cutest idea ever! I may try it with the 7th graders! (joking)

11. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 10, 2008

I don't know...I see this from both views. Working in a school system and knowing all the scandals of the past, I certainly understand why there would be regulation on this in most places. At the same time, as a parent of a pre-school kid, I do expect my child to be helped and not made to feel frustrated or weird when he can't and that includes the bathroom.

Also keep in mind that some cultures have closer proximity rules than others. This could play into it some. I know bigger families also all seem to expect each other to pitch in and help.

While I semi-agree with that kind of regulation, I think it is sad that we can't help young children when they can't always help themselves. It's not their fault the world is depraved.

12. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Aug 10, 2008