Teacher Certification in Florida

Discussion in 'Other Tests' started by OrlandoTeacher, Aug 9, 2009.

1. OrlandoTeacher

OrlandoTeacher Rookie

Aug 9, 2009

There have been a lot of questions on how you become certified in Florida. If you are a School of Education graduate then when you apply for certification your course work major should allow you to get your Statement of Status of Eligibility in your subject area (Science, Math, Social Science, English, P.E. etc.).

If the Florida DOE determines you still need to take the SAE (Subject Area Examination) then you will be in the same boat as non-education graduates and must sit for the SAE for the subject you want to teach.

After passing an SAE, you will receive your Statement of Eligibility Letter. It will also state you need to pass the four General Knowledge Subtest within your first year of teaching. If you get hired as a teacher, the district will notify the DOE and they will send them and you your Temporary Certificate. This AND your Eligibility Letter copies are be kept at the school in your file to show you are qualified.

Remember, the Temporary Certificate is only good for 3 years and will NOT be renewed, during which you need to complete the four General Knowledge Exams (within your first year of teaching).

So in Florida, along with your accredited Bachelors degree, you need to:

1.) Pass the FTCE Subject Area Exam (SAE).
    (You will then receive your Statement of Eligibility)

You seek employment with the eligibility letter. Again, you will not get the Temporary Teaching Certificate until AFTER you have been hired by a district AND are FDLE & FBI background checked and fingerprint cleared. Once your have been cleared and hired, then the district will then apply to the Florida DOE to issue your Temporary Teaching Certificate.

2.) Pass the four (4) FTCE General Knowledge Exams in English Language Skills, Mathematics, Reading, and Essay writing.
    Note: This can be done before or after you are hired and issued the Temporary, but odds are you will not be hired without passing them first.

3.) Pass the FTCE Professional Educator Exam.
    (can be done before or after issue of the Temporary)

To move to the final 5 yr Professional Certificate, you need to pass all of the FTCE exams listed above (SAE if required & the 5 other test).

4.) Then you must Demonstrate Mastery of Professional Preparation and Education Competence. This is either through at least one year of teaching experience and competence certification training from the district with a state approved preparation plan or alternative certification :dizzy:.

The most practical (and quickest) way to accomplish step 4 is to attend an Educator Preparation Institute. This way, you will meet all of the State requirements well within the time frame under your Eligibility Letter and/or Temporary Certificate. You cannot complete the program until all of your FTCE's are passed and you have complete the 30 hours of internships and completed the 21 credit hours of course work.

*** Remember all of this MUST be completed within three years. Florida will NOT renew a Temporary Certificate.:eek: After all is done above, you then apply for your Professional Certificate, and again it is valid for five years.

I hopes this helps and clarifies things for anyone wondering.

3. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 9, 2009

When I graduated from college (only four years ago) in Florida I was given my professional certificate, even though I have never worked in Florida, or even applied for a job in Florida. They may have changed things in that time, though. It was all built into my education program in college, so I'd ask around before I chose an education program. I'd hate to have to jump through the same hoops after graduation that I did during college! We had to pass the GK test to be admitted into the COE, and had to pass other required portions of the FTCE in order to graduate. We also had to show mastery of the FEAPs and the ESOL standards in our portfolio, as well as completing practicum and internships. Make sure your college is fully accredited and endorsed before you decide to go there!

4. Hazelv

Hazelv New Member

Sep 30, 2009

Gk and certification

Hi,

I have misplaced my official statement of status of eligibilty. According to what I have read, I need to have passed all parts of the GK within the first year of having my temporary certificate. To get my temporary certificate I need to have been hired by a district school and the school would request my certificate. I was hired last year by a private school and they did not request the certificate. Unfortunately, I did not pass one part of the gk and my first year with my official statement of eligibilty is approaching. What is going to happen to my statement? I also wondered whether anyone knew if this rule would apply to me because I did not really have my certificate. Please help me with any info you have regarding this matter. Thank you!!

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 2, 2009

What part of GK gave you grief, hazelv?

6. OrlandoTeacher

OrlandoTeacher Rookie

Oct 3, 2009

Go onto the Florida Certification website, http://www.fldoe.org/edcert/
    and link in where you can request your Status of Eligibility mailed to you. They will send you an updated one. The answer to your question is yes, within 1 year of being hired as a teacher (not of receiving your letter) you need to have passed all four of the General Knowledge subtests.

If your private school does not require you to have a Temporary Teaching Certificate, then you should still apply for it. You need to complete all the requirements within three years anyway, so now that you are getting experience required, you are on the way!

Just past that GK you did not pass and keep going! Remember, GK is only a piece of what you need to have a Professional Educator Certificate in Florida. Also, most private schools and all public schools require your to be certified now.

The sad part is how much the tests have gone up. Less than 2 years ago they were $25 each exam. Now all FTCE tests are $200 each exam.

Good Luck!

7. Hope2Teach9

Hope2Teach9 Rookie

Dec 23, 2009

OrlandoTeacher (or anyone with an answer),
    Oh, thank you for the help! Maybe you can help me with my situation! I feel like quite the idiot as I can't seem to figure Florida out. Hopefully, I can keep this fairly short......I am a career changer, with a BA in Mass Communications. I moved from Chicago last March and want to teach High School English in Florida. I met with the Director of the EPI, who advised me to apply for a Temporary Certificate in the subject I wish to teach. I obviously (with the exception of Journalism), would receive a "not eligible" in the subject for which I applied, but the application would allow me to begin the program, and outline my SAE requirements, etc.
    A friend of mine who currently teaches in my county advised me to apply for Reading (as it is in higher demand), and then work toward English. Upon this unfortunate advice, I applied for Reading. I received my obvious status of "not eligible," but did not expect to see 30 college credit hours in reading related coursework required to even be eligible for a Temp. Please, please, please tell me this is specific to reading! If I apply for English, will I be also be required to essentially return to college for two semesters, or can I just take the SAE?
    As previously mentioned, I feel quite dumb that I can't figure this out. I planned to enroll in the EPI program in April, and complete the SAE test, Gen Knowledge test, etc while working through the program.
    Would it be more advisable to apply for Journalism or Speech, which would most certainly return a status of "eligible," just to get into the program?

I sure thought I had this plan all mapped out in my head....

After two weeks of "forgetting about it," I am ready to figure this mystery out once and for all. This is truly my dream.

Any help is appreciated. I apologize for the length, I have a gift for the dramatics. :)

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 3, 2010

Hope2Teach9, I don't have a good answer for this, but let's see if someone else does, now that people are returning from the winter break.

9. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jan 3, 2010

Reading 6-12 is a separate certification in Fl. This is a relatively new thing (within the last few years). It used to be that you could take a subject area exam and be certified. FL has been trying to update their teacher certifications and, thus, that option is not available as widely as it used to be. If you have not visited this site, please check it out. It lists the plan for becoming an educator in FL if you already have a 4 yr degree.

http://www.fldoe.org/edcert/level3.asp

This site will probably answer your questions better than I could.

10. timsterino

timsterino Comrade

Jan 3, 2010

In Florida, the Reading 6-12 certification area is one of the few subject areas in which you need college credits in addition to passage of a subject area exam. Depending on what level you want to teach, you can go several routes with a Journalism degree. You can do English 6-12, Middle Grades English 5-9, etc. You can also teach Science, Math, Social Studies, etc as long as you take and pass a subject area exam. Regardless of what you decide to get certified in, you must take and pass the subject area exam in that area as well as meet the other requirements for a Professional certificate. College level education credits (at least 12), passage of the General Knowledge exam, passage of the pertaining Subject Area exam, one year of teaching experience and meeting the educator competencies. In lieu of the college credit, teaching experience and meeting the educator competencies, you can enroll in an EPI program.

Good luck!

11. timsterino

timsterino Comrade

Jan 3, 2010

The site is very confusing. You can still take a subject area exam in many areas and teach. The above site does not specify it as so when you click on the subject links.

12. Hope2Teach9

Hope2Teach9 Rookie

Jan 3, 2010

Thanks to everyone for all the help. This site is truly a blessing. I sure was hoping those additional courses were specific to Reading! I believe I will go the English route as that is what I have wanted to teach from the beginning. So, from the information given, all I need to do (I say "all" for lack of a better word):

Pass the English (5-9 or 6-12) SAE
    Enroll in an EPI and,
    Pass the General Knowledge and Professional Educators test (I forget the correct name)

The above would give me a Professional Certificate? However, once I passed the SAE, I could begin looking for jobs, correct?

Okay, so I seem to be on the correct path (hopefully...correct me if I'm wrong). Thanks to everyone again for the help!

Hope everyone's holidays were great!
    May you all have a wonderful and prosperous 2010!

13. TampaTeacher2Be

TampaTeacher2Be Comrade

Jan 4, 2010

I would check with the administrator of the EPI program you are enrolling in. I looked into an EPI program, and the requirements for the one I was considering were that you needed to pass all sections of the GKT, and pass the SAE for the subject area you wanted to teach before you enroll. Also, you need to double check the certification areas that are offered through your EPI program. The program I was considering, you could only get certified for Elementary K-6, ESE K-12, Math 6-12 and Science 6-12. They did not offer an option to get certified in English.

I ended up doing the route of professional-entry masters, which is a program that is anywhere from 4-6 semesters in length, and allows you to complete your Master's degree and professional certification requirements in one shot. Right now, I am teaching on a temporary certificate, but I will have my professional and my master's degree by the end of this calendar year.

14. Hope2Teach9

Hope2Teach9 Rookie

Jan 11, 2010

Thanks TampaTeacher2Be!
    I did end up contacting the EPI director. I explained my situation and she advised to apply for Middle Grades Integrated Curriculum to make myself as "employable" as possible. I could teach most anything (including English), I believe. When I spoke with them in November, I was told that I did not have to complete the tests prior to beginning the program. I could work toward completing them while I am enrolled. Hopefully, that is correct.

I'm the type of person that prefers my plan be mapped out ahead of time, so I can see what I am working toward. I like to know exaclty what I need to do. I think that is why I have found this so complicated. I know things will be just fine once I begin the path, I just need to take the first step! I am in Tampa too, so I'm sure you have been through all of this before (or are nearing the end, as it sounds). Any advice or tips would be great. I just don't want to make a mistake. I plan to apply for eligibility in Middle Grades Integrated Curriculum soon, hopefully enroll in the EPI around March, and take the tests a month or two later.

15. timsterino

timsterino Comrade

Jan 11, 2010

You should submit your application to the Florida Department of Education for Middle Grades Integrated Curriculum and you should also register for the subject area exam for Middle Grades Integrated Curriculum. I took and passed the exam which covers Middle Grades Language Arts, Social Studies, Math and Science.

Once you apply and pass the test, you will get your statement of eligibility stating that you are eligible to teach Middle Grades Integrated. It is at that point that you can start applying for positions.

The test is a bit difficult as it covers all four areas. But I agree with your EPI that it does make you much more marketable. Just make sure it is middle school that you want to teach.

Good luck!

16. Hope2Teach9

Hope2Teach9 Rookie

Jan 13, 2010

Timsterino,
    Thank you so much for the guidance! Its nice to hear from someone who has been down this road. I was leaning toward middle or high school, so I think this will suit me just fine. The only section that scares me a little is the math. Thankfully, I feel my math comprehension is better than when I was in school. We shall see if that theory proves true! Everyone will certainly see me on here again hunting for study tips!

Thanks again to everyone!

17. Teacher1988

Teacher1988 New Member

Mar 13, 2010

I was wondering if anyone could help me. I have my teaching certificate from Illinois and I am wanting to move to FL. What will I have to do to get certified in FL. I have already passed Illinois Basic skills, content, and APT test.

18. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 14, 2010

Your best bet is to check the Web site of the Florida Department of Education - I don't recall for sure, but chances are good there's a page devoted to teachers with existing certification from other states.

19. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 14, 2010

20. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 14, 2010

Thanks, swansong1!

21. Teacher1988

Teacher1988 New Member

Mar 14, 2010

Thanks for your help!

22. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 14, 2010

You're both welcome. Hope it helps.

23. jrg24

jrg24 New Member

Mar 18, 2010

just to clarify...

The fldoe's website is confusing. I recently graduated with a degree in accounting but have been considering teaching as a profession in lieu of sitting at a desk crunching numbers all day. I would be interested in teaching physics and/or math. I have some credit in physics and have taken through calculus 2, however, I have not completed the total required number of hours in math or physics listed as a requirement on the fldoe site.

So, just to clarify, I can apply for a temporary certificate to teach secondary education math/science upon taking the examinations for these subject areas. After I get my temporary certificate I then have to complete all other requirements within three years to get my professional certification? Does this mean, for example, that the requirements listed for specialization requirements of math and science are only one way to get a temporary certificate to teach math or science? Another way would be to have any bachelor's degree and pass the subject area examination? Thanks for any response.

24. Velvetvoice06

Velvetvoice06 New Member

Mar 19, 2010

Still Confused

So I have been on the website and I have contacted Superintendents, principals, and even former high school teachers to gain a better understanding of what I need to become a teacher in Florida. I am graduated with a degree in English and I know that I have to take the Subject area exam (English 6-12 to be exact) but I'm not sure about the hiring process. While the state requirements are universal throughout the state, counties definitely have emphasized different aspects of what it takes to be hired. Any advice on how to make myself more marketable?

25. OrlandoTeacher

OrlandoTeacher Rookie

Apr 11, 2010

Yes, but for Reading K-12 just taking the test does not get you certified. You need a M.Ed in Reading or BS and 30 credits in specific Reading courses and the SAE to get your Reading certification or endorsement in Florida.

26. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Sep 17, 2010

You can apply for temp certification at any time. The GKT must be taken within your first year of teaching; the Professional and SAE must be taken within three years.

The standard for any 6-12 certification is either a Bachelor's degree within the subject area or a Bachelor's degree in any area plus 30 credits in the specific subject PLUS passing the SAE. If you do not have the required 30 hours, they'll be listed on your SoE along with any education classes you are required to take.

27. Casey87

Casey87 New Member

Dec 14, 2010

So I was hired as an interim sub at a middle school, but I am 2 classes away from getting my BA. Can I start the process of taking exams and gettting my temporary license or do I have to wait until I get my diploma?

28. MrsLGlenn

MrsLGlenn New Member

Jan 15, 2011

Hello all,

I am going to be taking the FTCE K-6 exam (Again). Can someone share some tips, study guide, or possibly if anyone provides tutoring services for the test. I would appreciate it.

Thank
    LG

29. MrsLGlenn

MrsLGlenn New Member

Jan 15, 2011

You can start taking your exams now; such as the General Knowledge and the Professional Education exam. If you know the subject you are looking to teach you can also take the test for that area. Some subjects require you to be Highly Qualified do to the NCLB Act so you will have to the subject area exam for that subject.

Once you obtain your degree you can apply for your teaching certificate. And with some of your test taken you will be ahead of the game.

30. hjrock1

hjrock1 New Member

Jan 27, 2014

I was a teacher on a Temporary Middle Grades Integrated Curriculum Certificate from 2007 until 2009. I worked in other fields until attempting to return to public school teaching recently. I completed the FL DOE application for Math 6-12 subject area. I received my letter of eligibility stating that I could earn a temporary cert in Math 6-12 simply by passing the test despite thinking I could not earn another temporary. I have been told that if I was in good standing with the department and it was a new subject area (Middle grade Integrated no longer exists...) that it was ok to try for another temporary and given it was indicated so on the official DOE letter I assume this to be true. My question is the following. I did not pass the 6-12 test so the school I have been interviewing with called DOE who said I could take the 5-9 instead and not have to wait 31 days. I registered and passed 5-9 days later. Do I need to reapply or will DOE add Math 5-9 as a subject area available for me? Otherwise what step should be taken next? I called DOE but was transferred four times ultimately ending up with the automated machine which has the exact information as the online database and nothing new to answer my question. Thank you to anyone who can assist!

31. OrlandoTeacher

OrlandoTeacher Rookie

Jan 28, 2014

Yes, you will file a CG-10 for the 5-9 certification. Then you will get your temporary in Math 5-9. The Magic (Midde Grades Intregrated Curriculum) has been done away with and can no longer be used. They are now subject area specific for middle schools now.

In the future, should you pass the 6-12, they will send you the temporary 6-12. Once to you get the Professional 6-12, naturally, you will let the 5-9 expire as you will not need dual 5-9 and 6-12, as the 6-12 covers all of secondary.