Teacher certification for foreigner teacher

Discussion in 'General Education' started by aherrns, May 14, 2010.

1. aherrns

aherrns New Member

May 14, 2010

Greetings! I am a italian teacher, living and working in Paraguay. I am interested in teaching at american schools overseas, so I need a valid teaching certification from any state in the US.

I have a tertiary degree in English Teaching and an Agrarian Sciences Engineerings Bachelor, both obtained in Paraguay. I would like to know if there is any organization who can help me to obtain a teaching certification for USA. My intention is NOT to teach in the US.

Cheers!

3. CathyST

CathyST Rookie

May 17, 2010

Your first step is submitting your degree and transcripts to a company that will 'convert' them into the American equivalency. I used Joseph Silny & Co.

This 'conversion' that they send back to you will then be sent by you to standards commission of the state you wish to get certified in. In Georgia, I sent mine to the Georgia Professional Standards Commission.

They will then send you a notification of what you have to do in order to achieve clear and renewable teaching status. In my case, I had to take the GACE for ESOL & LA, a computer competency test and a Special Education class. I had clear & renewable teaching status within a year.

You will not be able to do this if you are not in the country.

Good luck!

4. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

May 17, 2010

I don't think you would be able to get a credential in California without getting a visa but I could be wrong. You can look up the different states government pages specifically the education credentialing site and read it over.

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 18, 2010

Hm. Where did you find out that you need US teaching certification? I find myself wondering whether it might be the case that you've found instructions intended for US citizens.

6. bdteach

bdteach Companion

May 29, 2010

American School or International School?

Is there a reason you're looking for an American school in particular? I teach at an International School overseas and your current qualifications would be more than enough here.