Teacher calling students names?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by teach24iam, Mar 14, 2010.

1. teach24iam

teach24iam Comrade

Mar 14, 2010

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 14, 2010

So sad. :(

4. Toak

Toak Cohort

Mar 14, 2010

The dynamics of an academically gifted classroom are entirely different than the dynamics of a general education classroom, but I can't say I have experience with that at this age.

Its nothing I wouldn't expect to be a big joke that gets howls of laughter from students and professor in a college or high school honor's class though.

I can see a way to do it that wouldn't hurt anyone's feelings who is in the class, but I wouldnt' dare try it myself

5. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Mar 14, 2010

What? This is ridiculous! This teacher is a bully!

6. teach24iam

teach24iam Comrade

Mar 14, 2010

I think I'm more baffled by the parents that support this method..the teacher has issues obviously, but parents who think this is ok? let's write a few choice words on some of their work papers and see how they feel!

7. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 14, 2010

I may be misunderstanding your post, but are you saying you condone this behavior in certain situations? Could you please elaborate? Thanks

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 14, 2010

From the article:
    " 'A lot of the students he has are academically gifted students, and so one of the ways that he would joke with them would be if they scored a 110, he always gave extra credit, so if they scored a 110, 120 on a paper, he would have a joke on it -- 'loser'," one parent, Kathy Andrews, told WLOS. 'That's what he engages in... he gets on their level and their words and tries to relate to them.' "

OK, aside from the obvious...

Why is he giving 20 bonus points to 'academically gifted' kids???
    An extra FIFTH of the test's value in extra credit????
    So an academically gifted kid can have a score of 100 and still know only 80% of the material??? And his transcript won't have a little asterisk next to it, noting that the kid had the "cool" teacher who didn't require knowledge of all the info to score 100%.

I've always thought that the intent of teaching was to eventuallly bring our students up to our level, not to sink to theirs.

Oh, yeah, this guy sounds like a real professional.

9. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 14, 2010

I'm interested in this quote. Over the last 30 years I have taught quite a different assortment of students from preschool to special education to gifted and I can't remember any occasion where it would be appropriate to call my students losers.
    Now, I can think of situations where it may have been appropriate to call the teacher loser...:eek:hmy:

10. Toak

Toak Cohort

Mar 14, 2010

He's not giving 20 bonus points - that's the joke. If they score 110/110 on a paper their paper reads 120 - 10 points for being a loser.

"
    "A lot of the students he has are academically gifted students, and so one of the ways that he would joke with them would be if they scored a 110, he always gave extra credit, so if they scored a 110, 120 on a paper, he would have a joke on it -- 'loser'"

11. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 14, 2010

I guess I'm dense...I don't get the joke?

12. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Mar 14, 2010

I get the joke, and it might be funny if it were given to Lisa Simpson on the Simpsons or something... in a real school by a real "teacher" not so funny.

13. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Mar 14, 2010

You're not dense. The "joke" is stupid. :down:

14. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Mar 14, 2010

:thumb::clap::clap::clap::thumb:

15. gottagoodgig

gottagoodgig Companion

Mar 14, 2010

There is truth in jest. I think a teacher should build kids up, not belittle them....even if it's a "joke." As a kid, heck as an adult, I probably would laugh at the time....but then part of me would wonder if he really thought I was a loser. Just doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

16. Toak

Toak Cohort

Mar 21, 2010

Think of the word geek. When I was in school it was an insult. Then the Geeks turned the term into a joke and now its a badge of pride. Its cool to be geeky. There is the Geek Squad, and most elite colleges have a geek club. The one I'm most familiar with is the "Keeping Geeks Busy" club at Carnegie Mellon

17. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Mar 22, 2010

I often give kids nicknames. Kirsty's are always refered to as Krusty, Kimberleys become Crumberlies etc. You have to pick the kids as some won't see the humour. Usually they complain if I use their real names!

18. wrice

wrice Habitué

Mar 22, 2010

You never know what sinks into kids' heads. My former students come back and reminisce about the weirdest things, and I always laugh, "Out of all that we talked about, you remember THAT the most?!"

I'd hate to know what would happen to a kid's psyche if "loser," indelibly written on his test papers, was the most memorable experience he recalls from this class! Students often live up or down to our expectations.