Teacher burnout....

Discussion in 'Montessori' started by Pattypoo, Jan 10, 2008.

1. Pattypoo

Pattypoo Comrade

Jan 10, 2008

How do you get over it? I am just at my wits end and it is just January. It is not the kids, but the staff/administration. I get so weary of working my butt off and seeing other staff members sit around all day and play on the computer. Not one will offer to help. Even at recess, they are talking on the cell phones and not watching the kids. The administration is useless. I have been complaining for 2 years and nothing ever gets done!

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 11, 2008

What kind of help do you need?

For what it's worth, they may very well be working "their butts off" too, at home. Sometimes I take a break at school even though I have work in my briefcase. That cup of tea and half hour off make me a much better teacher for my next class than a half hour grading papers might have done.

The bit about not watching the kids at recess, though, is inexcuseable.

4. Pattypoo

Pattypoo Comrade

Jan 11, 2008

Believe me, they are not working their butts off at home. They aren't teachers, they are suppose to be "support" staff.

5. Casa Directress

Casa Directress New Member

Feb 27, 2008

Burn out....

One thing you can do is make a list of things you do that support staff can help with. This list may include certain aspects of making materials (laminating, cutting, etc.), helping out after lunch, and even possibly 'covering' the class while you take 5 or 10 minutes to breathe and have a snack. Then, take the list to your administrator and ask if it would be reasonable for you to ask this of the support staff. Perhaps the other teachers in your school are suffering the same burn out and could benefit from more involvement from the support staff too!

Also, try to find ways to involve your assistant a little more to help ease your workload.

Above all, make sure you take time for yourself. Go for a swim...take a yoga class...anything you enjoy! You'll be amazed at how much extra energy a little exercise and 'me time' can give you!

With regards to the staff being on the phone during recess, I would point this out the the administration ASAP. The issue of personal calls during working hours is most likely outlined in the school's policy manual. If not, it should be dealt with. Distracted playground supervisors can lead to avoidable accidents.

Best of luck and start the count down to March Break!
    ~C~