Teacher Brochure

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by JamieB11, Jun 18, 2012.

1. JamieB11

JamieB11 Companion

Jun 18, 2012

Hi everyone! This is my first post here, but I have been reading and lurking for a while :) I have been a substitute teacher for 6 years in PA, and having a very hard time finding something full-time. My fiance and I are now seriously considering moving, probably out of state. I am applying all over the place, but I want to make sure that I stand out. I feel like districts gets hundreds of applications, and without actually knowing me, I have a hard time maybe even landing an interview. I recently heard about teacher brochures and I think it is an excellent idea to include with my resume and other things that I will be sending to school districts. But I have no idea how to make one. Could someone help me with this? Does anyone have one that they have made and are willing to share? I have e-mailed a few people but have not heard back from anyone.

Thanks!! :)

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 18, 2012

Welcome!

I would definitely start with the brochure maker in word. Just toy around with it a bit. Have a page with your contact information and a few pages explaining yourself as a teacher (education philosophy, classroom management, teaching reading, professional development, etc). Tailor it to the school districts. If they use PBIS, have a section highlighting your experience with PBIS. If you have experience with RtI, that could be another section.

4. HOPE-fulTeacher

HOPE-fulTeacher Comrade

Jun 18, 2012

I also recommend Vistaprint- you can get professional, glossy brochures for (fairly) cheap.

As to layouts and what to include, I included my credentials, prior experience, tech. "know how", snapshot of ed. philosophy, and snippets of my letters of rec. (I chose specific quotes from each one that highlighted different aspects of teaching.) You could also try searching "brochure" in the search tab above. It might give you some ideas as to what other people have included in theirs. :)

5. Jen84

Jen84 Companion

Jun 18, 2012

I created my brochure in Open Office. The front panel includes my name and contact information. Inside I included my classroom and behavior management plan, education, philosophy of education, and professional attributes.

6. JamieB11

JamieB11 Companion

Jun 19, 2012

Thanks everyone. I started working on it yesterday, and its coming along ok. I'd love to see an example of one though!!

7. JamieB11

JamieB11 Companion

Jun 21, 2012

I finally finished my brochure, and I have to say, I am pretty pleased with it! I hope it helps me to get a job. NOw I just need to get some nice glossy paper and I'm good to go! Thanks to those who had suggestions for me.

8. MrsAllison

MrsAllison Rookie

Jun 21, 2012

I had mine printed at a local print shop. It's more expensive than printing at home but they looked so amazing and professional! They were on glossy paper and they even ran them through a machine that folded them all perfectly! I did it in Word and just brought the file on a hard drive and had them in about 10 minutes!
    Just throwing that out there...a little more expensive but it was so easy and they came out so professional looking.
    Good luck! I'm so happy I made a brochure. I think it was a huge contributing factor in getting two of my interviews.

9. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 21, 2012

That's awesome. Be sure to proofread and have someone else proofread!

Good luck!

10. JamieB11

JamieB11 Companion

Jun 21, 2012

Allison, thank you for the suggestion! I will have to see if we have a print shop... I don't know of any.

Mopar, thanks... I did have 2 other people proofread it, I think it's ready to go! :)

11. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jun 21, 2012

I created mine in Publisher. I printed a few myself and they looked ok, but I bit the bullet and went to Kinko's and had them printed on glossy paper. I'd be glad to share mine, just pm me your email.

12. Sweets2005

Sweets2005 Rookie

Jun 23, 2012

What did you include on your brochures?

13. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 23, 2012

I'm in the minority, but I only used pictures with very short captions.

During an interview a panel doesn't have time to read every detail, but they do have time to glance at photos. Several of my photos were mentioned when questions were asked so it felt more like a conversation than an interview.

14. doodle70

doodle70 Companion

Jun 25, 2012

There's a Groupon for 17.00 to use at Vista print for 70.00 worth of product. I got one in order to get my brochures and you can upload your own brochure to the site.

15. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jun 25, 2012

Only issue with VistaPrint is waiting for them to arrive...if you want them right away, going to a FedEx Office (aka Kinkos) or Staples might be the best bet :)