Teacher Birthdays - looking for ideas for team

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by fairfax, Aug 5, 2006.

1. fairfax

fairfax Rookie

Aug 5, 2006

Hello! Happy almost new school year!

Last year whenever a fellow 3rd grade teacher had a bday, we always met during planning, got the bday person a card, and one person would alternate bringing cake.

I'm looking for different ideas - this seemed to be tough on our schedule, budget, and waistlines (there are 12 of us now).

Thanks!

3. 101dalmatian

101dalmatian Companion

Aug 5, 2006

We celebrate birthdays for the month. We have one cake for the month for all the teacher's bdays that month. It's easier to plan one day a month to celebrate.

4. Miss_J

Miss_J Habitué

Aug 5, 2006

We have birthday buddies. To start, everyone writes their name, birthday and a favorite treat on a half sheet of paper. Then, the teacher who runs the program gives everyone a slip. That person is your secret birthday buddy. When their birthday comes around, you get a card and bring in a treat for them. In the morning, the secretary asks staff to the staff room where we sing happy birthday and enjoy the treat.
    FOr summer birthdays, we do half birthdays or just near the end of school.

5. mrsnoble116

mrsnoble116 Companion

Aug 5, 2006

we all would pitch in $5-10 and get a gift card. Most of our grade level are mothers, so a Wal-Mart gift card is really appreciated. Or maybe a g.c. to a teacher store.

Some teachers at our school are very close and they have a birhtday lunch on the weekend.

6. gwat1aw

gwat1aw Rookie

Aug 5, 2006

Just as 101dalmation, we usually do birthdays once a month. Instead of trying to do things at lunch or at a free time during the day (what's that anyway?) we do ours as a breakfast before school starts. As ALL of us have morning duty, we just make sure we're there early on that day and we all bring something to share--muffins, pastries, mini quiche, fruit, juice, coffee, milk, etc. It makes for a great start to the morning and we often have enough to share at lunch as well. But we include all with a birthday that month, spend some fun time together before classes start, and don't have to worry about our waistlines being ruined by having a birthday celelbration every week or so.

7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 5, 2006

Before the year starts, we each fill out a slip with our birthdate, favorite plant or flower, favorite cake or treat. It can be fruit, cheese, pie, or cake. We each pick a name out of a hat, buy the card, and try and fulfill that person's wishes. Many people just put 'any flower', plant, or something. Some are specific, though. We decorate the table if we'd like, some buy napkins and forks for theirs, too. The treat, card, and flowers are left on the table in the kitchen area with a note on the white board. As soon as the birthday person cuts into the treat, it is available to everyone all day.

8. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Aug 5, 2006

We have a monthly half day with teacher inservice in the afternoons. These always begin with a lunch, and that's when we celebrate all the birthdays for that month. We just have a cake or something, and sing to the birthday people.

9. NCP

NCP Comrade

Aug 5, 2006

As a team we all sign a card and give it to the person on the birthday. As a staff, we celebrate birthdays at our monthly staff meeting. The social committee (me and a few others), give each birthday person a little baggie of cookies.

As for a team idea, I like just recieving a card. I have also thought of doing a balloon with the card.

10. janlee

janlee Devotee

Aug 5, 2006

The only time we have something big for a teacher is if it is there 50th or 60th birthday. Then a large scale dinner party is usually arranged by a few of her closest teacher friends. All are invited. Each person pays for his or her own dinner plus a contribution to a gift and the birthday girl,s present. Otherwise no big deal is made of anyone's birthday unless someone brings in a cake. We do, though, have a FAT FRIDAY! One or two teachers sign up to bring in breakfast goodies for a Friday, and boy oh boy do we eat! Quiches, breakfast dishes, fruit salads, bagels, cheeses, cakes, pies, dips, etc. There is enough food to last all day. We do this each Friday for the entire year. But believe you me it's murder on anyone who is on a diet! We also do teacher buffets on conference days. Then the really good stuff comes out! They allow us to use the cafe ovens if something from home needs to be baked or heated.

11. dixiedeb

dixiedeb Rookie

Aug 5, 2006

Each person on our team gives one dollar for each person having a birthday that month (our team has 13 people so each birthday girl gets $12 and a card) plus we designate a celebration day so that each member can bring a dish to share with all. We set the lunch up in someones classroom and the team members stop by when they're able. We have lots of fun and several other teams are following suit. Simple and easy.

12. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 5, 2006

We don't tend to do anything for birthdays--except for the "big" ones. One teacher I used to work with would always order pizza and bring cake for the staff when it was her birthday!

13. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 5, 2006

At my mother's work, the person who has the birthday before you purchases for your birthday. We don't really do anything on our team, though.

14. musicteach

musicteach Companion

Aug 6, 2006

We just sign up to bring snacks on the last Friday of every month to celebrate birthdays. They set out in the work room all day, so we can "graze". We also put $10 a year into a pot for wedding or baby shower cake/gift, funeral plants, get well flowers, etc. But, there are about 35 of us who contribute.

15. mykidsrgr8

mykidsrgr8 Rookie

Aug 6, 2006

We have food day once a month to celebrate those birthdays in that month. Everyone brings food except those who have birthdays that month. Its really a fun way to try new recipes and get new recipes. We keep saying we are going to put together a recipe book for all of the different dishes brought but who has time!!

16. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 6, 2006

On my team we bring the bday person out to lunch (you can always go to a place with great salads for those watching waistlines)

The school has bday breakfasts about once every 3 months. The bday people sign up to bring something and we all meet during our moning planning time before school starts for breakfast. (and people ususally bring some healthy choices here as well.....)

17. daisyduck123

daisyduck123 Companion

Aug 6, 2006

This is what we do...but one person also goes to the dollar store the day before & gets "Happy B-day" balloons. Our dollar store has the most awesome mylar balloons!!

Another person gets a small gift, such as a plant.

18. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 6, 2006

Our EC team last year (4 teachers, 8 assistants, 5 therapists, psych and director) did birthday breakfasts the first Friday (team meeting day) of the month... 2-3 people signed up to bring treats each time, we only had to bring once during the year. Usually we got cards and signed them "the EC team" for anyone celebrating a birthday that month.

Within my classroom, we usually did cake/cupcakes for snack and sang Happy Birthday just like we did with the kids. Mine was the first one of the year in my room, they brought donut holes and a card... so we pretty much stuck with that the rest of the year.

The school as a whole didn't do anything in particular, our social committee assigned one person (it was me!) to do a "birthday board," I changed it every couple of months and put the current birthdays up around the room on die-cuts.

19. srh

srh Devotee

Aug 6, 2006

We have a relatively small school staff (about 25). At the first of the year, we indicate our "favorite dessert or treat." The names are distributed, and if you participate, you bring the treat (enough for everyone) for the name you drew. We meet in the small lounge right after school, for about 10-15 minutes. The principal sings the funky version of Happy Birthday, making up the lyrics to fit the person. Kinda cute. But I get tired of all the cake and pies. Bring on the ice cream...or veggie tray! By 3:15 I could use the real stuff!! :-D