Teacher Binder

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Teaching Grace, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Jul 20, 2009

Does anyone keep a binder or notebook with their yearly stuff in it? I found these really really cute binders at walmart (eco-friendly and poka dotted)! I want to use them a lot (since they are so adorable). I was thinking of a place to keep everything throughout the year...just not sure how to organize it.:D

3. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jul 20, 2009

Do you mean "not teaching" stuff? I keep a school news kind of binder at my desk so I don't have crap...ooppsssiieeee I mean junk all over my desk.

I have one tab for memos, one tab for flyers, one tab for grade level stuff, one tab for my "Need to Fill Out" papers.

i also have a binder for Other Duties stuff. Tab for my Student Council, Tab for our Young Ladies League, Tab for the Festivals (I'm VP of Booster Club in charge of two school Festivals), Tab for Social Committee, and Tab for Student Recognition Committee.

Wow I just realized I do too much. hahahahahahahahaha

4. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Jul 20, 2009

hehehe that's funny!! I was thinking about a tab for preplanning information (so I can keep up with it through the year) and then another tab for our agendas from the weekly meeting. After that, I'm not sure what else to put in it...

5. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 20, 2009

I made a teacher binder last year, then barely used it. I want to try to be better this year.

I intend to keep staff meetings and memos, grade level meetings, and professional devel in there. At the end of the year I'll file away the prof devel stuff in my file cabinet.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 20, 2009

I'd like to organize all my professional development paperwork...Maybe a cute polka dot binder would motivate me..:whistle: I've been using a coffee stained tattered folder for YEARS plus some random certificates tucked in my plan book...I don't look organized at all but I can always get my hands on what I need quickly...Maybe I'd like looking organized too, although my mom says it's just the way I've always been. ;)

7. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jul 20, 2009

I'm kind of an organizational nerd. I hate clutter because of a long term sub job that I did before I was hired. :dizzy: Thats a story for another thread I suppose. LOL

I don't want to throw anything away until the end of the year Just In Case, but I can't have it out. ;)

8. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jul 20, 2009

A friend at work is the same way. If you ask her for something she can whip it out in the blink of an eye, but I would be lost trying to look through her stuff. If she changed I wouldn't recognize her, thats just her.

9. TeachCA

TeachCA Rookie

Jul 20, 2009

I got this from Tom Daly at www.adhd.solution.com

First Part
    1)A page that lists the names of each student amnd where they are scheduled to be througout the day.
    2) A master schedule of each teacher that tells you where they are throughout the day.
    3) A school map that delineates the evacuation route for your class during a fire drill.
    4) A handy translation page in case you speak to parents who do not speak English.
    5) A page that lists all phone numbers for each parent or guardian.

Second Part

1) A page that lists basic information for each student, such as: phone numbers, health and mediation issues, and any other relevant information.
    2) Copies of each student's progress reports.
    3) A copy of each student's Interest Inventory.
    4) Any school referrals for misbehavior.
    5) Three blank pieces of lined paper to record all conversations with parents, educators and other support providers regarding the student.

I'm also going to start keeping my lesson plan units in my binder so that I don't have to go hunting for worksheets, projects, etc. in a file somewhere. I'm even planning to put my homework that goes with each lesson in this binder. Hopefully, it will make next year easier.

10. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 20, 2009

In my teacher binder I plan on having, my schedule, lesson plans at a glance, paperwork, faculty meeting notes, etc.

11. dmbfan36

dmbfan36 Rookie

Jul 20, 2009

I keep a binder with student information and it has paper to write any conversations I have with parents there too.
    I have a second binder for my lesson plans.
    Those are for me.
    Then I have a binder set up for the kids as an archive of sorts that they can go to if they are absent or are missing notes etc. I put printouts of powerpoints etc in there

12. little317

little317 Groupie

Jul 20, 2009

I have a few binders for different purposes.
    Student Information binder-all student info sheets are in there and a communication log for each student is included
    A Lesson Plans Binder
    Subject area binders-Each binder includes the district curriculum map, the state standards, and any other resources besides the TEs that may be used for lesson planning
    I also have an assessment binder that contains the students' reading and math progress cards.

13. Jen in NCal

Jen in NCal Rookie

Jul 20, 2009

My teacher binder has sections for class lists, pacing guides, the agenda students use for their homework, lesson planner, gradebook, and misc. stuff. I think there are two more sections, but I can't remember what they are.

I plan on putting the homework I send home in the section with the agenda. I started this last year for math, forgetting that we have a new adoption so it is obsolete.

The misc. stuff section has the teacher phone list and other papers I want to save.

14. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 20, 2009

I also plan on having a student info binder and a random binder for those papers who don't have a "home".

15. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jul 20, 2009

I keep a binder with all of my teacher paper work stuff in it: classroom policies, student profile page, administrative office work type stuff, faculty handbook, faculty phone numbers and addresses. I keep a second binder of all of the filled out student profiles so I can get to them quickly. And I have a third binder that I keep extra copies of everything we use in science class, so students don't have to ask me for another one they can go straight to the binder.

I would honestly go for heavy duty big binders over cute binders. I went through so many because they broke easily :( Now I know to just pay the extra $$ and get better ones.

16. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Jul 20, 2009

These are such great ideas! Love it!

17. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 20, 2009

I only use the heavy-duty white D-ring binders with the slot on the front & spine for labels - I've been through too many "pretty" ones that didn't last. That being said...

I have:
    1. a binder for student information (by number) - each student has an information page, all signed copies of progress reports, office referrals, conference notes, etc. go in there
    2. a lesson plan binder (4") - just my lesson plans, by subject with the most recent in the front of that subject's section
    3. a "LATAAP" binder - for our state's 2-year teacher induction program
    4. a professional development binder - with certificates for all PDs I have completed
    5. a comprehensive curriculum binder for each subject (I'm self-contained) that also holds a printed copy of the GLEs for that subject.
    6. a grade book / attendance binder - holds printouts of my grades by 9-week period and my "grade book" for attendance

18. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jul 20, 2009

In addition to those mentioned, I keep the information on computer programs and how to work with them.