"Teacher Behaviors"

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by RitaFirstGrade, Aug 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Aug 23, 2007

I sometimes want to teach some of the teenaged cashiers basic manners. I ask them to say my total. If they don't, I just stand there doing nothing until they say my total! Or I force them into polite greetings by asking them a question! Nowadays, all they have to do is swipe the item, then they wait for you to look at the screen, you swipe your own card and sign the machine. They don't even speak!!! Bugs me so much!! At least they should say "hello" and "thank you" and definitely should tell you your total!!! How about when they are on their cell phone and just swipe and continue talking to their friend as if you are not a person? I want to tell them to give me the phone..NOW!!!

2. patti2

patti2 Cohort

Aug 23, 2007

I was reading a story with my kids on my lap and I guess I was reading to the back of the room because the little one put his hands over his ears and said, "MOOOOOOMMY you're not at school!"

3. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 23, 2007

Hmmm, let's see....

I have been using "the look" for almost 20 years -- my daughter will be 20 in October!

Walmart for me is almost a disaster - and I am there at least once per week! I want to correct those people walking "the wrong way" in the aisles. I, too, want to call out to kids racing through the stores to "Walk!" If a cashier is not friendly (or even civil), when I get my change and receipt, I make sure to say," Thank you very much for giving me some of you time, I hope you have a wonderful day!" I say it in the "teacher voice", and often people at other registers will turn and look!

I am learning to "be okay" with being called Mrs. Whatley by the students. Until now, the only Mrs. Whatley that I knew was my mother-in-law!

I tend to Ssh! before thinking about where I might be.

I confess to being a spelling snob. Not only do I edit newspaper articles, (tv) news items, magazine articles, and students' papers, I am mentally using my red pen even on AtoZ!

Kids are drinking hand sanitizer???? Where are these kids' parents??? For that matter, where are these kids' brains (if they are not already totally fried!

Oops, forgot -- I'm not even a paid teacher yet!!

Last edited: Aug 24, 2007
  4. MissBee

MissBee Companion

Aug 23, 2007

The word "inappropriate" has become a new addition to my everyday vocabulary.

5. MrsLilHen

MrsLilHen Comrade

Aug 23, 2007

I love knowing I'm not the only one who feels like getting kids in order everywhere! I want to line them up, make them stop fighting, etc. etc.

6. mommy3boys

mommy3boys Companion

Aug 23, 2007

I've been correcting grammar and pronunciation for years, I was just in denial in regards to my true calling:)

Glad I'm not alone.

7. Pattie

Pattie Companion

Aug 24, 2007

Yeah, me too! I never said that before becoming a teacher::woot:

8. dkaree

dkaree Rookie

Aug 24, 2007

I'm newly retired, and when I see kids at the mall, in a store, etc during a school day, I'm tempted to say "Shouldn't you be in school?"

9. Christine3

Christine3 Cohort

Aug 24, 2007

I just got back from California, we were visiting my sister. I was constantly using the teacher phrases with my kids. AH! The fighting on the plane was horrible...it will be a while until they travel on a plane ;)

I find myself always giving the "look" to my kids. It just happens naturally, but hey it is good practice!

10. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Aug 24, 2007

We can't have hand sanitizer either, and I'm a germ freak too! We (teachers) were just told we can have some for our personal use but it must be locked in our desks. I guess some students were huffing it last year. Go figure.

11. etcetera83

etcetera83 Cohort

Aug 24, 2007

I always tell my hubby to push in his chair when he gets up. Now he just smiles when I say it to anyone eating with us.

12. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Aug 24, 2007

I'm really bad about snapping my fingers to get my hubby's attention! He HATES it!

13. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Aug 24, 2007

Acouple of years ago, a teenage boy broke into my house through the back patio door. It apparently hadn't be latched properly. I heard someone, and without thinking, I stormed out there and asked, "Just who do you think you are, young man?" He replied, "Uh, no one, ma'am." (such a polite southern boy). I said, "Well, march yourself right on back out the door, and don't let me catch you doing that again." He left, I stood there a moment, then panicked. What an idiot. I did call the police immediately, and installed dead bolts the next day, but I think the teacher voice just took over. I do think he was just in breaking in on a lark to steal my purse, but it could have been a real disaster. The "uh, no one, ma'am" makes me laugh now, but .....

14. etcetera83

etcetera83 Cohort

Aug 24, 2007

That is just too funny!:toofunny:

15. dreaming_luke

dreaming_luke Rookie

Aug 24, 2007

I drive myself crazy proofreading and wanting to edit posts on forums! I'm often on equine sites, which usually have a mix of young, teenage and mature woman and men. The spelling, structure, slang, stinted and run on sentences are :eek: ... well....I get peeved. Can't they use what they've learned???

I haven't done it yet in class, but I know I will catch myself this year doing it. At home I have 3 kids and I cluck to get them to walk fast/jog and I make a kiss sound to have them really hurry and run. Any horsey people out there? I'm going to try really hard to not do it in class, but it just comes out!! :whistle:

:lol: :lol: :lol: had to edit a spelling mistake!!! lol lol lol

16. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Aug 24, 2007

I find myself getting irritated when my family doesn't react quickly enough for me after I have given directions. Or when they aren't listening and I have to repeat myself. I have been known to say, "Find someone who was listening..."

17. Daisyd

Daisyd Rookie

Aug 24, 2007

This is great! I do a couple of things:

Shushing kids in movies!

One time I was giving the lesson to a women's group at church and told them,"Now bow your heads and close your eyes...":haha:

And is it must me, or is it sad that kids are so surprised when they meet an adult who sets firm boundaries when they're being disrespectful?

18. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Aug 24, 2007

I have done all of the above, except telling someone to "get a squirt". One I do, though, that has not been mentioned. I am always on the lookout for a good pen. You know the kind, writes smooth, doesn't blot. I have actually asked cashiers, receptionists and even a bank teller once if I could have their pen because it writes so nice!!!!!!!!!!!! Actually, some have given it to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Aug 24, 2007

This is so true!!!!!!!!!!!!! I get so frustrated when my family won't do what I ask them to do right away. I thought I was anal, guess it is just my "teacher voice" coming through!!!!!!!! I am normal after all!!!!!!:D

20. lilkidteach

lilkidteach Rookie

Aug 24, 2007

I have told my dog that he is not listening. I have also had to stop myself from giving the dog choices.

21. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Aug 24, 2007

once dh and i were at an amusment park and i caught myself directing people to get in line.:lol:

oh and just about any store i visit, i have to look at the school supplies to see if there is anything i need to pick up.

22. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 25, 2007

I have to struggle not to tell kids in the stores to tie their shoes!

The other day I caught 2 boys spray painting a door at a school, with the b word. My 1st thought was, "Well, at least they spelled it right." I then approached the boys & talked to them. I then had them sit down on the sidewalk & wait with me for the police to come.

The principal of the school was suprised that they didn't take off on me! The boys attend that school. Now if the boys will only pay to clean up their vandalism.

Oh, this is my son's school & he has heard that the boys were put in a jail cell. They'll be 6th graders when school starts.

23. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Aug 25, 2007

I have enver shushed kids at the movies (don't go often enough) but I have done the same to children sitting near me at church! I really try not to because I don't want to offend their parents, but a couple different times the parents were really trying and the kids just ignored them. On those occasions I said sternly "Obey your parents and be quiet. You're making it difficult for me to pray."

24. Lainy2121

Lainy2121 Rookie

Aug 25, 2007

We use the phrase "When we're walking, we're not talking" at my school when walking in the hallways. I have to stop myself daily from saying it when I'm out shopping. It's amazing how some things just slip right out!

25. dreaming_luke

dreaming_luke Rookie

Aug 25, 2007

I find that it takes a lot of restraint to not "teach how to" in public when a cashier can't figure out how much change to give you back. Especially if something is let's say $13.15, and I give them $20.15, most of the time that completely throws them for a loop. :confused:

26. roamer

roamer Companion

Aug 25, 2007

That's so funny! That's always my first thought when I find graffiti in the school too!

27. jmevno

jmevno Rookie

Aug 25, 2007

Mine too! I was sitting in the doc office the other day and there were these two boys (about 10, unsupervised) who were laughing and playing musical chairs. So I turned around and gave them the look. They stopped for a few minutes then started again. Finally I turned and snapped my fingers and told them that they needed to sit down and find a quiet activity while they wait for mom to come out. I didn't hear from them again.

28. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 25, 2007

Once at walmart I was looking at their teacher resource/student workbooks. I couldn't find my grade because they were out of order. So I rearranged the entire display. The guy that worked there walked by like 5 times but he didn't say a word. I literally took all the books out of the display area and organized them. I have no clue what method they normally used but it lined up really nicely for me! (It only took approx. 30 min).

29. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Aug 25, 2007

ugh!

I told my hubby to "Kiss your brain" the other day. He looked at me as if I were from Mars!

30. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 25, 2007

31. shouldbeasleep

Aug 28, 2007

Oh my gosh! I do this all the time! I have a very nice pen I got from the drug store that had better not disappear.

32. shouldbeasleep

Aug 28, 2007

That is really funny!

33. hatima

hatima Devotee

Aug 28, 2007

I snap at people...mostly kids running loose in the store...or I'll give them that "teacher look."

34. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 28, 2007

For an aide, I have developed a really effective teacher stare. It's so good, my teacher will say, "Please tell John to sit down please." I raise my eyebrow and move closer and I rarely have to say a word. Sometimes I forcefully count backwards. I don't count forward because they tend to count with me. In public I find myself discreetly giving a look. Unfortunately it doesn't work on my own kids.

35. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Aug 28, 2007

I told one of my friends to "use his words" - he did not appreciate this! I have also given my friends "either or" choices when they cannot make a decision. And when we're playing football in the park, I am always the first to "number" everyone off to make teams!

36. hatima

hatima Devotee

Aug 29, 2007

I have to literally bite my tongue to NOT tell kids to stop using heelys in the store. It makes me so mad. I have seen them fall, smash into people (adults and kids) then the parents get mad at the person their child slammed into.

37. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Aug 29, 2007

I correct grammar and pronunciation of words. I do it to my boyfriend all the time. After I correct him I say, "Now how do you say it?" He doesn't take to it very well...

Tonight I was trying to watch the news and my mom was talking loudly and I couldn't hear the story I was waiting to see. I said, "Could you please be at a zero!?"

38. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Aug 29, 2007

I count to 3 with my kiddos sometimes, and have done that to my dog! :)

39. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 29, 2007

Hey! Where do you think I learned half my classroom management techniques from? :lol:

For example, from my oldest I learned 1-2-3-4-5 doesn't work because when he was a perky 4 year old he just beamed and counted with me. That's when I started 5-4-3-2-1.

See...I didn't need a college book for that! :cool:

40. mrsjam525

mrsjam525 Rookie

Aug 29, 2007

At home with my 2year old I found myself clapping my hands to get her "on task" lol. I have also started counting and reminding her don't let me get to one or she would have lunch detention. My husband just looks at me and shake his head

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.