"Teacher Behaviors"

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by RitaFirstGrade, Aug 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RitaFirstGrade

RitaFirstGrade Companion

Aug 22, 2007

I thought it would be fun to have a thread about "teaching behaviors" that only teachers understand!

Here is mine!

Even when I am not at school, I talk in a "teacher voice". I was reading something out of the newspaper to my husband and he stopped me and told me I didn't have to use expression! I was reading like a teacher!

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 22, 2007

I line kids up wherever I go...

4. TeacherRW

TeacherRW Cohort

Aug 22, 2007

How about the insane urge to tell children to walk... whether they are zipping around the aisles of a shopping store or running around corners?!? :)

5. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Aug 22, 2007

When I see someone indoor with their hat on, I feel a compulsion to tell them to take it off. I never do of course, but I feel it.

6. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 22, 2007

Sometimes I sneakily give those kids the "teacher eye" in the store, but I don't say a word. Amazingly they stop.

7. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Aug 22, 2007

Talking to Teens

I have to pinch myself not to tell teenagers to be quiet in fast food joints.

8. carlea

carlea Comrade

Aug 22, 2007

I taught kinder for 4 years and instead of spelling things for people, I'd give them the sounds of the letters. And when someone sneezed (even if I didn't know the person), instead of saying "Bless you" I'd say "Cover your mouth."

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 22, 2007

ONe behavior got me in trouble one time:

It was a hot July day at about 2 pm. I had run into the supermarket with $20 to get hot dogs and rolls; I was in the parking lot carrying one small grocery bag and my purse.

I heard some teenage boys behind me running. Any normal person would have turned around. But, as a HS teacher, I merely moved closer to the cars on my right to give them more room.

One of them snatched my purse! I never even got a look at his face!!!

Of course, being a HS teacher, I was NOT about to take that!! I yelled like a banshee "They took my purse, help!!!" Four or 5 different guys from different parts of the parking lot took off after the kids. They got close enough that the kids threw the purse back. One of the guys even got the licence plate number before the kids took off. (He didn't stick around though, so the police weren't able to do much with it; there was no one who could testify that this license plate had anything to do with it.)

Anyway, any NORMAL person probably would have turned around and put the kids off.

10. MollyT

MollyT Companion

Aug 22, 2007

As I teach junior primary I am used to correcting kids speech and often do it automatically.

Strangely, the young man at the supermarket checkout doesn't like it when i correct his speech. Go figure! .... Hehehehe

11. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Aug 22, 2007

I teach Pre-K and I use a sing-songy voice a lot...my kids think it's funny, but when I start using it to just talk to my friends I get looks....

12. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Aug 22, 2007

When a doctor tries to use their authoritarian voice on me to "put me in my place", I give it right back and I always win!! HA HA! My daughter says I'm being mean but I tell her that doctors do it on purpose to make patients feel like the doctor is "all-knowing" and to make us feel insecure about questioning anything....EXCUSE ME??? The last time I checked my pay stubs, I am paying for this doctor's services and I will get my money's worth. That's that. A doctor will not rush me out of the exam room with a useless prescription or a ridiculous diagnosis. So...yes...I command respect and get it from the doctors. I think that's definitely a teacher behavior.

13. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Aug 22, 2007

I always say "Bless you, get a squirt (hand sanitizer)" I said to a man in the grocery store once, "Bless you, get a" and realized what I was saying!

14. Mrs.Gould

Mrs.Gould Comrade

Aug 22, 2007

That's too funny! :haha:

I just found out we aren't allowed to have hand sanitizer in our classrooms! :eek: I'm a germ freak!

15. jayt11

jayt11 Rookie

Aug 22, 2007

i always walk on the right.

I tell my kids "be polite, stay on the right." And I also tell them that if they walked on the left side of the sidewalk in Japan, they'd get fined $100. :)

16. jaruby

jaruby Companion

Aug 22, 2007

I am always correcting people when they talk and write. I hate when I do it (I am sure my wife hates it) but I cant stop.

17. French Teacher

French Teacher Rookie

Aug 22, 2007

Last time, I saw three boys fighting in the street. I was in my car and my husband was driving. The window was opened. And I just scream to them : "Stop that immediately !". I was really angry as if it was some of my students who was fighting but I did not even know them. The teacher inside me was speaking :blush: ! They were so surprised that they just ran away :lol: :D .

18. kabd54

kabd54 Cohort

Aug 22, 2007

:lol: Oh, my - I thought I was the only one!!

I have given that "teacher eye" to more kids outside of school than I care to think about and my family complains about my overuse of the "teacher voice"! (Comes in handy sometimes, though...:whistle: )

19. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 22, 2007

We were on vacation last week. As it turns out, Julia's best friend and her parents stay at the same place the same week, so we spend a lot of time together.

The night they showed fireworks in town, the two girls just would NOT calm down. Kevin, the friend's dad, had had just about enough.

So I started in the teacher voice. I got down to their level, explained just where they were and were not allowed to walk, (Not beyond the blue chair!) and that if they did go beyond the blue chair they were going to keep right on walking up to the rooms and miss the fireworks. Then I had them explain it back to me.

Kevin stood there open mouthed-- he asked me where "that voice" came from :)

20. snoangel

snoangel Rookie

Aug 22, 2007

That's a good one :) I'll have to use it!

21. MsKay

MsKay Rookie

Aug 22, 2007

Teacher look!

I have given the look and sometimes even said No running, especially in Walmart!!

22. maroki

maroki Comrade

Aug 22, 2007

I find myself using my teacher eye and my teacher voice on children outside of school, especially those who haven't listened to me the first time.

Example 1: My husband's best friend got married recently and the 4 of us were taking a picture. A little girl (about 8) kept trying to jump into the picture, and the groom asked her several times to stop. Finally, I turned to her and said (in the voice) "You have been asked several times not to jump into the picture. Please move off to the side so we can take our picture." She just gave me an extremely surprised look and scurried away.

Example 2: I was playing foosball at my in-laws house and there was a little boy there (about 7) who kept trying to grab the other end of my sticks and shove/turn them during our game (he wasn't playing). I gave him a couple looks, asked him once, and finally I stopped playing, leaned over the table and said "I have asked you to stop before. Please take your hands off the table and watch from that chair over there." He went inside.

I find I also read menus and such upside down, and sometimes I (without thinking) hold it up for my much amused dinner companions to see and track the entrees with my finger as I'm reading them, especially when they asked about a particular item or are searching for something.

23. Pattie

Pattie Companion

Aug 22, 2007

I've discovered I can hear tapping if anyone is doing it in a meeting, at church, at a family gathering, I'll just call out, "Who is tapping!" just like I do in my classroom. It is so embarrasing! My husband just starts laughing and so do my kids. When did that become such an issue, the pencil tapping kids do, Ugh!

I also find myself bossing elementary kids around in the church halls if they are too noisy or goofing off. It isn't even appropriate that I'm reprimanding others' kids, but I can't help it! I'm a teacher!!!:woot:

24. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 23, 2007

I count the dishes as I put them away.

My mom's a teacher, too, and we often find ourselves reaching for salt, pepper, butter, whatever on the table. And inevitably, we get the "you're crazy" look from my dad because one of us will start with, "you know, if I wanted the salt passed, I would say 'please pass the salt' or 'may I have the salt please?' instead of reaching across the table for it."

25. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Aug 23, 2007

I find mydself editting newspaper articles and books as I'm reading them. Not marking them with a red pen or anything, but just commenting. I say stuff like "Boy, they sure missed that one," or "Looks like they relied on the spell checker again." And I say this stuff out loud! :D

26. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Aug 23, 2007

Ummm.....I do this to my husband. I don't think he likes it either. Lol.

27. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Aug 23, 2007

I sometimes catch myself correcting others by repeating their words in a corrected manner. I do often find myself editing newpspaper articles as well.:)

28. Superteacher81

Superteacher81 Comrade

Aug 23, 2007

All of these are so funny! I am so tempted to snap my fingers at other people's kids at the store sometimes!

29. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Aug 23, 2007

I get twitchy anywhere the lines aren't straight ;) - and I've caught myself telling random children (wallyworld and around) to "lose the gum". EEK. :)

30. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Aug 23, 2007

I do both of those things too. My Pre-Kers often say past tense verbs correctly, as 4 year olds are apt to do, and I try to always use the word correctly when I respond back to them, so that they hear it without me actually correcting it. Imagine how my friends feel when they say "I brang chips with me," and I repeatedly answer with, "You "brought" chips with you?"

And whenever I get an email or a note that has spelling errors or grammatical errors I have an urge to grab a pen and correct it. Even my teacher friends think I'm crazy!

31. dolphinswim

dolphinswim Companion

Aug 23, 2007

Why no sanitizer? my school just installed dispensers all over the school and in the rooms, and the parents each brought in 2 bottles of 40 oz gerx! And I don't even use the stuff!

32. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 23, 2007

Haven't you heard kids are drinking it to get high....

33. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Aug 23, 2007

What? I had no idea. Who on earth would want to try that? I declare that some kids just have too much time on their hands.

34. teachall

teachall Rookie

Aug 23, 2007

I have definitely told children to stop running in Walmart. It usually just comes out before I can even think about it. I get the urge to correct other's language or pronunciation of words too. I have a friend who say frustrated (fusstrated). Uhh! It is all I can do to hold my tongue and not say it has an r /fr/. Oh and I use the teacher voice all the time.:)

35. BabyAngel

BabyAngel Rookie

Aug 23, 2007

Whenever I see kids zipping around on "Heelies", I am tempted to stop them and tell them, "OK, give me the wheels". And I too correct my husband's grammar. Sometimes he takes it well.

36. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Aug 23, 2007

I sing in the choir during Christmas, and when our choir director is talking and others are not listening, I fight the strong urge to just turn around and give a big "SHHHHHHH!!!!":eek:

37. teacheragz

teacheragz Rookie

Aug 23, 2007

So all of the "naughty" kids must go to Walmart? Or maybe it's just the same kid?

I say that because I saw "him" there the other night as I was picking up some last minute school supplies. He was standing in the front seat section of a shopping cart and before I realized what I was doing I said, "Please sit down honey, your'e going to get hurt." The mother turned around and looked and realized I was talking to her child. I don't know that she was that happy...

38. dolphinswim

dolphinswim Companion

Aug 23, 2007

Drinking it? I don't think I could get past the taste! LOL I had no idea they did that.

39. BASAM

BASAM Comrade

Aug 23, 2007

How about when you add the tip to a bill and you show the numbers that you are carrying because you have spent so much time teaching regrouping/carrying over.

40. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Aug 23, 2007

I find myself signing "Miss Kirby" on my checks!

41. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Aug 23, 2007

Two teenagers were running through the grocery store the other day chasing each other down the aisle. It was all I could do to not holler, "Walk!" as they ran past.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.