Teacher Beaten by Student

Discussion in 'General Education' started by HeatherY, Oct 2, 2012.

1. HeatherY

HeatherY Habitué

3. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Oct 2, 2012

First of all it is the Daily Mail or Daily Heil as we call it in the UK! They are always bashing teachers and teaching so don't expect unbiased reporting.

The teacher cannot win. Stand there like a punchbag and be called a wimp, run away and be called a wimp. Pick the kid up by his ears until he stops struggling and he goes to jail.

4. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2012

An adult, especially a teacher, cannot fight back against a child the same way they can against another adult.

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 2, 2012

Sad.

6. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Oct 2, 2012

Most of the comments support the teacher.

7. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Oct 2, 2012

First off...I would be ashamed if this was my kid, so I would not be talking to the press or allowing him to pose for pictures.
    Second...IF I allowed pictures, not one that my child was standing in the fighting stance...

To me the picture of the child speaks to the character of the parents and child.

8. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Oct 2, 2012

Absolutely. How repulsive that the parents not only offer no apologies, but they are actually so proud of their little angel that they have him pose like a prize fighter in a picture for the newspaper. "My poor son"??? You've got to be kidding me.

I am certain that had the teacher shoved him away or fully restrained him, it would be the teacher and the school that were sued rather than the child's family.

9. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Oct 2, 2012

But I thought teachers were the cause of these problems. This parent must just be an aberration. :rolleyes:

10. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Oct 2, 2012

'The lawsuit is totally absurd. How could my little boy do so much damage? My poor son,' Carpio's protective father, Jorge, told the Post.

All it takes is one perfectly aimed kick to destroy someone's knee, which is exactly what happened in this case.

11. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2012

Obnoxious headline. 'Injured by a well placed kick' (which is what really happened) and 'left beaten' are not the same thing.

12. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Oct 2, 2012

"Absurd lawsuit"? Wow. This teacher was attacked. Sure it's by a little kid, but like 3Sons said, a well placed kick can cause a lot of damage.

And I agree with mrachelle about the photo. :/

13. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Oct 2, 2012

I have posted the link on a UK teacher website and one comment said that the Mail obviously couldn't find any bad news about British Black teachers and so had to go further afield.

14. teachinnola

teachinnola Rookie

Oct 2, 2012

I was listening to a morning show radio host (one who is based in Texas, but nationally syndicated) talking about how much they, the cast, love teachers, but sometimes there are just some bad apples. I knew immediately that this story was coming up next, and it disgusted me. I read the story last night, and it sounds like the child has a history of violence. The police were called, and I'm sure that was not a decision made lightly with a kid that young. Now, to the radio show's credit, the rest of the cast sided with the teacher. It's ridiculous that people think the teacher had claimed that he was "beat up" or that a kid couldn't do that kind of damage.

15. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2012

Oh, almost forgot -- one of the seminal cases in tort law regarded a student who kicked another student while both were sitting in class. It's an old case, but the result from what couldn't have been that hard a kick was that the victim lost their leg. Almost like a freak accident in terms of likelihood. That didn't stop the judge from finding liability, though.

The parents are likely to find few agree with them on what constitutes an 'absurd' lawsuit.

16. smalltowngal

Oct 2, 2012

Was it Kidd Kraddick?

17. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Oct 2, 2012

Can you imagine what would've happened if the teacher tried to restrain the student and the kid pulled a muscle or, heaven forfend, dislocated a shoulder while fighting back?

18. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Oct 2, 2012

Even big football players get debilitating knee injuries from things that would seem insignificant.

I find the pics somewhat in the abusive category. If he had shot the teacher, would they have him pose with a gun drawn?

The teacher was not the only one touched violently by this student. If the parents and the school can't get the kid to comply, this teacher had no recourse for justice in my view.

Additionally, if you have a knee injury, leg injury and you teach lower elementary, it really can have a drastic effect on your job performance.

Wonder what mom and dad would do if precious kicked them that way...well, I know we won't have to wonder for long, because left unimpeded, he will likely do that and more.

19. teachinnola

teachinnola Rookie

Oct 2, 2012

Yes, it was.

I didn't add this earlier, but when they were talking about it, he was saying that the lawsuit is ridiculous because insurance should cover these expenses, not the school. I don't know if the teacher has insurance, but I'm sure there are at least co-pays/deductibles. I really didn't think that was the whole point of the lawsuit anyway.

20. smalltowngal

Oct 2, 2012

I listen to him every morning and caught some of the conversation. I disagree with him. Insurance will only pay for the medical side of this. I'm not sure a lawsuit will do much for the teacher, but maybe it'll scare the parents to actually do something with their child!

21. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Oct 2, 2012

:yeahthat:

OT: Kidd Kraddick has really been getting on my nerves lately.

22. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Oct 3, 2012

I'm not sure how it works in the USA but in the UK most house holders take out Home and contents insurance which includes a public liability section which covers the policy holder and family in the home from claims for injury from 3rd parties. I know this because my insurance has just settled a £1.25 million lawsuit ($2 million) on a child my son injured playing ice hockey! Thank heavens I had the insurance! There were no medical costs either as in the UK we have the NHS which treated the injuries. The money was pure compensation and it took 4 and a half years to get a settlement!

23. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 3, 2012

Keep in mind: the original story was published in the NY Post--- aka "The Gentlemen's National Enquirer." Not exactly a hotbed for respected journalism.

Of course the teacher was in a bind. If a strong, healthy man defended himself against a 7 year old as he would an adult, he would have been hauled off to jail!

Those poor parents have no idea what they're up against. This 7 year old bully is well on his way to being a 17 year old bully. At some point, his small size will no longer protect him. And then they're going to have a real problem on their hands. Additionally, this publicity will follow him.

24. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Oct 3, 2012

We definitely wouldn't be reading about it in the Daily Mail. Instead we'd be reading it in the NY Post and Daily News and seeing it on ALL the local NY news stations.

25. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Oct 3, 2012

Exactly! Decades ago, a student dislocated HIS OWN shoulder after an argument with my father. Cannot go into details, but the student's parents sued the school. Despite there being a bunch of witnesses, the school settled with the student, voiding my father's chance to countersue for defamation of character.

26. Math

Math Cohort

Oct 3, 2012

I would press charges. :)

27. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 3, 2012

Are there any schools that still spank kids these days, like the Catholic schools used to do? Well, they sure need to bring back spanking in the schools & THIS kid needs to be one of the first in line! And who the hell would allow him to take a picture with his dukes up?! Crazy! His stupid parents should be ashamed!

28. Math

Math Cohort

Oct 3, 2012

I agree. :)

29. BradleyStacks

BradleyStacks Rookie

Oct 3, 2012

My sympathy goes with the teacher. I know it's not right hurt kids but in my opinion kids are different today, they are more abusive (if that's the tight term) I hope things happen good to the teacher.

30. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 3, 2012

Ms. I, lots of schools can, but many don't out of fear. My state allows it, but we haven't in several years. When I was in school in the eighties through the nineties, we were paddled regularly.

31. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 4, 2012

I think it's less a job of the schools needing to teach self control than his parents.

It's not the job of the school to teach this child how to behave; obviously the ball is being dropped at home.

To answer your question, yes, there are still parts of the country where public schools are permitted to use corporal punishment. NYC is not one of them.

32. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Oct 4, 2012

Spanking children is child abuse:rolleyes: It teaches them that violence is the answer:rolleyes: You should try to reason with 8 year olds :lol:
    It does notwork:whistle:.
    Many children seem smarter than adults. They play them and manipulate them and when they realize they can get away with stuff without fear of serious results some of them are lost. My county this year said no more paddling students. We have rarely done it the last 10 years or so. I was paddled in school, I have paddled children and it works and is not the horrible abuse it is made out to be. I have seen real child abuse, see the results of it all the time and it is terrible.

33. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Oct 4, 2012

:agreed: :2up:

34. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Oct 4, 2012

Perhaps you should paddle the parents:lol:

35. physteach

physteach Companion

Oct 4, 2012

Nah, hitting kids is actually abuse that teaches them that violence is the answer to difficult situations.

Why not try to teach the kids how to deal with others instead of teaching them that the person with the bigger muscles gets to make the rules?

36. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Oct 4, 2012

I wouldn't beat kids in school. In fact, I don't like to touch them at all!

37. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Oct 4, 2012

I think we have a winner from across the pond.:haha:

38. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 4, 2012

I think the parents will get their punishment in due time, when Junior outgrows "cute" and becomes a teenage terror.

You know--- "You reap what you sow."

39. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Oct 4, 2012

This is true, Alice, but I hope it's sooner rather than later, especially for the sake of this kid's future teachers.

40. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 5, 2012

And for the sake of the kid himself. It's a whole lot easier to learn self control at 7 than at 17-- and the consequences are a whole lot less.