Teacher Bathroom Breaks?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Em_Catz, Nov 14, 2013.

1. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Nov 16, 2013

I wonder how I would go about looking up the law for my state? I've been considering speaking to our union rep or sending him an email at least to ask. I grew up in the same county I teach in and as a child this was not a rule. I'm wondering when it changed?

2. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Nov 16, 2013

Yeah I don't understand this either. I am absolutely NOT allowed to use the student bathrooms even when they're empty, so definitely not when students are in them! The staff bathrooms are separated from the student bathrooms, so we can't just all go at the same time.

3. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Nov 16, 2013

The class sits in the hallway while you use the restroom. At least that's how I've done it.

I remember being on a field trip with 3rd graders. I used the same restroom as the girls. The girls were surprised that I also had to use the restroom. :eek: This group also believed that I slept at the school.

4. Preschool0929

Preschool0929 Cohort

Nov 16, 2013

I get 1x to go during the day, during my 30 min. lunch/planning. Other than that, it's not an option. I have 2 full time paras in my classroom, but I was told last year that a certified person always has to be in the room. There was a time that I stepped out to use the restroom (which is literally next door to my classroom) and that afternoon, a parent called the principal complaining that her child said that one of my paras was yelling at another student. When he asked if I was there the whole time, and I mentioned leaving to use the restroom....it was not a nice conversation. So....now I pretty much hold it from 7-10 and from 10:30-2:00. Oh well...

5. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Nov 16, 2013

I have a co-teacher and a para so I'm lucky I can go whenever. Often I don't need to leave the room though because of our prep/lunch schedule. There's 3 co-teaching classes on my floor so I've been asked to step into another teacher's room (who doesn't have a co-teacher) a few times so she could use the bathroom. One was pregnant last year so she would ask quite often, I didn't mind at all, because I would've wanted someone to do the same for me in that situation!

But I taught summer school this summer and was in the room from 8:30 to 12:00 with the kids with no break and it was BRUTAL.

6. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Nov 16, 2013

I would never ever leave my class without an adult to go to the bathroom. But I would leave them with a para or aide to run to the bathroom in an emergency. If an aide can watch them (and a whole bunch of other kids) on the playground every day for 45 minutes without any teachers present why on earth can't she watch them for 3 minutes in the classroom?

7. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Nov 16, 2013

I do not understand how being in a private school is any different. I've taught in both and using the bathrooms is the same.

8. CiniMini

CiniMini Rookie

Nov 17, 2013

The only daily break we get is at 7:50-8:30 when our kids go to p.e. so if I have to go from 8:30-2:50, I'm in a pickle. I'm fortunate to be right next to the bathroom though. I have a "volume control leader" who takes names and I'll poke my head in the room of the teacher across the hall and she'll listen for them. Its not exactly what we are supposed to do but I'm a fast pee-er so I'm gone about 1minute and its better than me making a puddle. If I see another staff member walking in the hall I'll ask them to watch for me.

Last year I was enormously pregnant at the end of the year and had to pee every hour. When our sped teacher came to pick up her kids she'd watch the class so I could go. And sometimes I'd just bolt without warning right when the kids were starting an assignment and I'd be back before they realized I was gone. Lol

I've also been known to turn my digital camera on in video mode and record while I was gone. This was just for my class from h@*% two years ago. They were prone to acts of mild violence.

9. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Nov 17, 2013

Even though teachers do it all the time when we're in a rush, we technically aren't supposed to use the student bathrooms too. I assume it's to prevent any kind of sexual misconduct accusations. It's the same thing when a child needs help buttoning their pants. To C.Y.A I almost always tell them to try on their own or to let a friend help them. If they still can't get it, I have the teacher next door stand as a witness when I help them. It's sad that so a handful of bad apples ruin it for the rest of us.

But I digress.

10. hollydoris

hollydoris Rookie

Nov 17, 2013

I'm so thankful I work in the school where I do, haha. I'm pregnant right now and need to use the restroom every hour probably. I work at a private school and have a small class size, and my co-teacher and I have classrooms right next to each other with a "common area" in between that both of our students use for quiet work space and group meeting space. Since we are at a private, we both wear a lot of hats and teach classes outside of our main duties (I teach 2 middle school classes along with my general ed classroom for combined 5/6 grades.) Because of that schedule and our small class sizes, we are both used to monitoring each others classes frequently throughout the day.

Sorry for the long background, hah, but the point is that I just use the restroom when I need to. It has never been a problem. When I was in the public schools I never could, though. It was horrible torture!

11. hollydoris

hollydoris Rookie

Nov 17, 2013

I'm at a private and am able to freely use the bathroom, unlike when I was in public. That is mostly due to our set up--I am fortunate to have my classroom in close proximity to another class. We share a "common area" and when one of us needs to leave to do another duty or use the restroom, the other just monitors both classes from the common area. I have never worked in a public set up like this.