Teacher bags!!

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by jennstarr12, Aug 2, 2008.

1. jennstarr12

jennstarr12 Companion

Aug 2, 2008

I want to get a nice big bag for carrying my teaching things-something tote-like probably. Does anyone have any specific suugestions or websites they may have ordered from? i want it to be pretty big to carry whatever i may need.

3. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Aug 2, 2008

I have always found really great and stylish totes from Target.

4. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Aug 2, 2008

Please promise me you will at least go look at this site since I took the time to search a few things I thought might work for you!

Here are a few cute bags:
    qvc.com
    all you have to do is enter the item # in the search box and it will come up.
    1.A78880(This says make up but you could prob put other stuff in it!)
    A73496
    3.F165073
    4.F184594( I would order this one!)( IT's not a tote bag but its a rolling organizer and not too big but big enough for your needs I think you will love it)
    A163618

***They have many other bags on there site. If you do not shop QVC what it is a type of home shopping show that airs on tv 24-7. They have a website to make it easy to order anytime you need/want to. Just about anything you can think of to order they will prob have it. You just put whatever you want to find in the search box. Hope this helps!

5. Mrs.SLF

Mrs.SLF Comrade

Aug 2, 2008

I just bought a bag from LL Bean with my name on it. It's simple and HUGE!!! I like it, so far!

6. dovian

dovian Comrade

Aug 2, 2008

I was going to suggest LL Bean also, or Land's End - they have those cute canvas bags in various sizes that will probably last FOREVER, and they look professional.

7. soflgal

soflgal Companion

Aug 2, 2008

This is what I just bought from Target:

[​IMG]

8. mommyre

mommyre Comrade

Aug 2, 2008

I have the coooooolest rolling cart. It is called a seatcart. If I did not want to roll the cart it is detachable and makes a backpack! It has great pockets, etc. I got mine from HSN much cheaper than anywhere else had it.

9. wildcat82

wildcat82 Rookie

Aug 2, 2008

Vera Bradley all the way!

I am not sure how much you are wanting to spend, but I would tell you that if you want to buy an incredible bag that will last you forever, I would hands down go with a Vera Bradley. They are a little more pricey, but they are amazing and have so many handy storage pockets. There are a ton of fun patterns to choose from. I have purchased two cheap bags in the past, and finally splurged and am so happy that I did. They are comfortable and fabulous. If you don't want to order one on line, you can look at their website for local stores that sell them and you can go scope them out. Good luck!

http://www.verabradley.com/Site/Store/ProductDetail.aspx?dept=7&sku=10448:14&

10. mommyre

mommyre Comrade

Aug 2, 2008

11. raneydae

raneydae Companion

Aug 2, 2008

Have you checked out http://www.ebags.com? They have all kinds of bags, and great deals on brand names, and are really cute! I bet you could find all of the bags listed above, and for cheaper, here.

12. outsidethelines

outsidethelines Companion

Aug 3, 2008

I have this bag from Janine King Designs on etsy, and I absolutely love it! It's handmade VERY well, and it's the perfect size for all my stuff without being too big or bulky. I love all of the pockets inside, and the fact that it zips up completely. They're also available in many stylish designs! Plus, they're on sale right now.

http://www.etsy.com/view_transaction.php?transaction_id=9161317

13. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Aug 3, 2008

I got that one and I love it!!! I have been doing a teacher confrence this week so I have been using it. It is comfortable to use, lots of storage, and best part, I cannot fill it too full....trust me that is a good thing! At the end of last year I had 15-20 files in my bag in addition to books, binders etc. Most of it was stuff I wan't using, just didn't bother to take out......

This bag is just big enough for my date book, a few files, a binder a note pad and I still have room left over.....I just can't fit 20 files and 6 books in there! LOL

Oh, and it is cute too, I got a datebook at Target that matches

14. jennstarr12

jennstarr12 Companion

Aug 3, 2008

those are all really cute especially the first one! it seems like it may be tough to carry around though but i might just get it anyway, i can see a lot of uses for it. Thanks!!

15. jennstarr12

jennstarr12 Companion

Aug 3, 2008

I was looking at Vera Bradley actually. I'm not sure what size to get though! there are soo manyy

16. 3littlemonkeys

3littlemonkeys Comrade

Aug 3, 2008

I second Janine King...just bought this:
    [​IMG]

17. jennstarr12

jennstarr12 Companion

Aug 3, 2008

is that the laptop tote? im really loving these bags!!

18. 3littlemonkeys

3littlemonkeys Comrade

Aug 3, 2008

Yep, that's the laptop tote. I don't actually have a laptop, but I currently am using a basic laptop bag since it's the right size to hold several teacher's editions...and this one is cuter. :)

19. 3littlemonkeys

3littlemonkeys Comrade

Aug 3, 2008

That's not bad...I could see myself with something like that when/if I need to upgrade to a rolling tote. Nicer-looking than the plastic carts. (Those of you who use the rolling totes and carts, what all do you put in there? I usually wouldn't need something that big.)

20. MomtoCAV

MomtoCAV Rookie

Aug 3, 2008

I accidentally ordered the "VERA" last year for Christmas and thought, this bag is Huge - I made a big mistake. Well I love this bag!!! I can fit so much in it, it is amazing. If you aren't too particular to stick with the current colors you can get one in the discontinued patterns for a great price.

21. Lindzee82

Lindzee82 Companion

Aug 3, 2008

I have the LL Bean tote bag and LOVE it!

22. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Aug 3, 2008

The Vera Bradley bags are beautiful, but I don't think it's going to last forever since it's cotton & it'll eventually stretch, unless there's a lot of reinforcement inside. Are they machine washable?? I'd go w/something vinyl. I loovveee the Janine King, which is pictured above. Is it cotton too? I just found this:
    http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=78675&section_id=5131744

I don't need a new bag, but will look these over some more. Click on the right side of that site at the "Market Totes". Alright, just found this info:
    BAG FEATURES

* Special waterproof padding provides superior scratch and bump protection.

* Industrial grade twill lining is non-scratching and provides an additional layer of protection.

* Sturdy nylon web handle for easy carrying.

* Secure non-scratch zipper top closure.

* All stress points are triple stitched and reinforced for durability.

- Handmade with Pride in the USA in our pet free and
    smoke free design studio.
    - JKD bags are comprised of several fabric layers and
    professional grade facings and are sewn on industrial
    sewing machines. All stress points are triple
    stitched and reinforced for added durability and
    firmness.
    - We use superior quality zippers made specifically for
    handbags and luggage with long substantial pulls.
    - Fabrics have been treated to resist moisture and
    stains.
    - Janine King label on bag interior verifies authenticity.
    - Care Instructions: Dry cleaning recommended. Spot
    clean with damp cloth.

I'd also look at Wal mart and the one above from Target is great too.

23. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Aug 3, 2008

I have a vera bradley bag and have been using it for the last 3 years without any problems. It has a cardboard bottom that's removable for washing.

24. Mrs.SLF

Mrs.SLF Comrade

Aug 3, 2008

I have Vera Bradley purses and they do not stretch. They have more of a quilt feel to them. I really like them and used one last year for my tote but decided to get a LL Bean bag because of size. I'm a huge fan of Vera and have been since college, we used to joke that you couldn't be in our sorority unless you had one-it was joke and untrue but that's because so many of our girls had them!

25. MissHunny

MissHunny Comrade

Aug 3, 2008

I have the large llbean one for 3 years now...love it!!!

26. ICanDoThis

ICanDoThis Rookie

Aug 3, 2008

I purchased a very chic black tote from Target. It was less than $30, it's plain black and looks like a cross between an oversized purse and a briefcase. It's nice because it holds everything (papers, folders, misc. stuff) and it looks professional. In fact, I even used it when I was interviewing to hold my resume packets. I would suggest Target because they always have an assortment of totes for good prices! Don't forget to look at the stuff on clearance, too!

27. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Aug 4, 2008

I have two Vera Bradley bags that I usually use, I haven't had a problem with them (this will be my third year), and yes, they are machine washable...on the gentle cycle, of course. Since I can't buy the bags myself because they are expensive, I pick my favorite Vera and put it on my Christmas or birthday list. That makes it really easy for my hubby!! :)
    I got a small Land's End tote from one of my students at the end of last year, and I'm thinking I might substitute one of my bags with this one...it is the perfect size for papers and folders that need to be corrected...lol!

28. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Aug 4, 2008

Thanks for looking up my choices! Hope you found a goo bag you liked!

29. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Aug 4, 2008

I am not a teacher , but I am a bag collector lol and I went and looked at the bags. I have a bag simular to the biggest one they have that I got at one of those cute little shops that sell bags and do the monagraming. It is now closed tho. I bought it to tote around my books/notbooks for my college classes but found it to be too big for that need but I have used it for other things such as overnight trips to the beach. I love it! When I start teaching I think I will use if for sure!!! I regret that I looked at the LL Bean site tho , cuz they have the mini bags (perfect purse size for me) and so cute! I love bags like that. I want to order it so bad but I already have enough. I might order the medium bags 2 of them for my mom and my sisterfor a christmas gift to use for work. My mom is a travel nurse and my sister works at the hospital as a nurses aide and she is going to school to be a nurse!

30. frogger

frogger Devotee

Aug 4, 2008

me too!

31. jennstarr12

jennstarr12 Companion

Aug 4, 2008

i really liked the LL Bean ones too...simple but cute!! I honestly want to order one of every bag everyone mentioned! haha

32. jennstarr12

jennstarr12 Companion

Aug 4, 2008

The Vera website is having a sale on colors that are retiring right now and the prices are pretty good! I may get one for that reason.

33. TeacherMJ

TeacherMJ Comrade

Aug 4, 2008

I love the etsy site! So many to choose from in one great place. Remember to check the dimensions when ordering online, pictures can be deceiving :)

I love shopping for purses too...maybe a cute tote through Target for me.

34. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Aug 4, 2008

35. missk83

missk83 Companion

Aug 4, 2008

The LL Bean ones are very cute, but I would worry about them looking dirty quickly b/c they are a white/off-white canvas. But I'll probably order one anyways!;)

36. Lindzee82

Lindzee82 Companion

Aug 4, 2008

You can actually get the LL Bean ones in any color you want. They have many colors to choose from, and you can also design your own - which is what I did. Mine is burgundy with teal straps.

37. Lareigna

Lareigna Companion

Aug 4, 2008

I just ordered 2 bags on e-bay from Jansport, both were on sale. Lots on sale for 20% off.

38. Historyteaching

Historyteaching Cohort

Aug 4, 2008

Last year I bought a Vera Bradley black baby bag..it doesn't come close to resembling a baby bag..except for the plastic lining on the inside. I like that idea because I'll throw my lunch or drink in there at least I can clean it up easily afterwards. Its HUGE and carries alot (of course) I paid close to $100 but its so worth it.

39. SingBlueSilver

SingBlueSilver Companion

Aug 4, 2008

i happened to have purchased a Longchamp Le Pliage (large) tote in the spring to be carried with me on vacation this summer. they're on the pricey side, so i got mine from ebay. but they're very versatile and they fold up and pack away very nicely (i packed mine in my luggage on the way there and back, and carried my backpack on the plane). anyway, i wasn't sure it would be good for my vacation so i decided "try it out" in the spring during the school year and whattaya know! it worked as a great teacher bag as well! its hip, trendy, stylish and versatile! i saw TONS of women carrying them in France this summer. (one woman had two on her shoulder!) the ONLY problem is that it only has one small inside pocket, but i can manage bc i keep things in small pouches/makeup cases anyways. i love my Longchamp!

40. michelleann27

michelleann27 Cohort

Aug 4, 2008

I bought mine at office depot. It was 40.00 on sale but it can carry a laptop or not and it is pretty roomy. It is the kind you put on your shoulder. I havent filled it up yet.

41. kimberd

kimberd Rookie

Aug 5, 2008