teacher bags

Discussion in 'General Education' started by bella84, Jun 24, 2013.

1. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jun 24, 2013

I need to buy a new teacher bag, and I've been perusing my Thirty-One consultant's website for close to an hour now. I can't decide what I want/need. Please help!

I've been using the "organizing utility tote" all of this past year. It's pretty worn out from all the wear and tear, so, at the very least, I need to replace it. Most days this tote was exactly what I needed, but every now and then I wished I had had something just a tad bit larger. So, I'm now considering the "super organizing tote" instead. When I asked my consultant for her advice on which one to get (she's also a teacher and would know what teachers need), she brought up the Cindy tote. So, now I really don't know which one to get. Any recommendations? I'm open to bags other than Thirty-One also, but I do think they're cute... And now she thinks she's getting a sale, so I have to buy something.

Thanks!

3. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jun 24, 2013

I have a very large bag from Vera and love it!!! It's held up well for 3 years now.

4. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jun 24, 2013

Which one do you have? I'm thinking of getting the "get carried away" tote but I'm not sure if it will be TOO big. It's hard to tell from the pictures. I don't want to be carrying around a large piece of luggage! I had the "go round" tote this year and it help up very well, but ended up being too small- I couldn't fit my computer or my lunchbox in it with all of my other stuff.

5. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jun 24, 2013

6. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jun 24, 2013

Oh, and I fit a TON into the large laptop tote. I bring way too much stuff home! I don't think a lunchbox would fix in it though.

7. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 24, 2013

I use the Organizing Utility Tote with the Fold and File Insert. Since I am also a consultant, I received it in a package and I wasn't sure how much I'd like it, but I love it!
    I know some people that use the Cindy Tote, the Super Organizing Utility Tote, and even the Casual Cargo Purse.

If you do not want/need a $10 Large Utility Tote, wait until July 1 to order. July's special is spend $31 and get any item 31% off.

8. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jun 25, 2013

I have a Vera Bradley Messenger bag. I love it! Just enough for all of my daily needs... the only time it isn't quite big enough is when I'm schlepping 130 essays home. I don't carry a purse to work (I use a clutch wallet), and I carry my lunch in a separate bag.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 25, 2013

I wouldn't get another bag from a company whose previous bag wore out after only one year.:2cents:

I also use a Vera bag...same one for 3 years so far and looks brand new.:thumb:

10. OhThePlaces

OhThePlaces Cohort

Jun 25, 2013

I also use the "organizing utility tote" and I love the size, I just wish their was some type of closure (zipper, magnetic button, whatever) on top.

11. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jun 25, 2013

I need a new tote too. My bags just don´t last. I guess I always go for the cheapy ones, but by the end of the year they are sad looking.

12. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jun 25, 2013

I have a Vera bag (possibly Get Carried Away) and I LOVE it! I've had it 3 years now and it still looks great. It is big (I used it as a carry on) but I can put all my teacher folders/binders in and my lunch box and my spare shoes when I'm wearing pretty shoes and my work out clothes. You get the idea. If you don't carry a bunch of stuff, it may be too large for you though. Lots of women in my building carry several smaller totes and a purse. I just prefer it all in one.

13. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Jun 25, 2013

I have a Vera Bradley Vera bag that I use and I love it. It's got 6 organizing pockets on the inside of the bag and two pockets on the outside of the bag. I can fit two binders and lots of other things in there with no problems. I'm on my second year of using it and the last one I had lasted me for 5 years. Definitely worth it, plus you can throw them in the washing machine.

14. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Jun 25, 2013

I've used a denim Cindy Tote for 2 years now and it still looks like new.

15. melnm

melnm Companion

Jun 25, 2013

I have the regular tote from Vera Bradley. It's nice for a few things, but not big enough at all. I end up carrying an extra bag a lot of times.

16. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

Jun 25, 2013

I have that one as my teacher bag. It is big, but it's soft. So if you don't have it stuffed to the brim, it will collapse and not look as large. If you're trying to fit in a computer and lunchbox, I think the carried away tote would be perfect.

17. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jun 25, 2013

I have three different patterns of the tote from Vera Bradley. It is small, but I don't use a big bag. I also have the 31 Organizing Utility Tote. I rarely carry it because it is too big. I have an older style Vera Metropolitan bag that's nice. It holds my 17" laptop nicely.

18. TeachOn

TeachOn Habitué

Jun 25, 2013

Male here: backpack (large, black, full).

19. Rhesus

Rhesus Comrade

Jun 25, 2013

Another guy here, so no Vera for me.:D

For the past seven or eight years I have used the same bag. It is a messenger bag made by Aerostich intended for motorcycle courier riders. It isn't even close to being worn out. They have a variety of colors and sizes.

20. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Jun 25, 2013

I'm on the hunt for a new teacher bag this summer, but I can't bring myself to give up the one I've been using. It was a gift from student teaching in my favorite color with my name on it, it's just not big enough with the storage I need. Looks like I'll be at a Vera Bradley store this summer.

21. christine89

christine89 Companion

Jun 25, 2013

I got the Cindy Tote from Thirty One and I LOVE it! I got my name put on it and I use it for taking stuff back and forth to school every day! It's got a good amount of room without being bulky. Plus it zips at the top which helps for rainy days.
    Happy Teacher Bag Hunting!

22. Ms_C

Ms_C Comrade

Jun 25, 2013

I also have a Vera bag and love it! It manages to hold everything I need and then some. I just need to toss in the washer and it will be ready for next year.

23. queenie

queenie Groupie

Jun 25, 2013

Same here! And it's the PERFECT size! I love that I can take it on field trips, use it to bring home papers to grade, or bring my ipad/netbook to PD in it! I. LOVE. IT. :D

24. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Jun 25, 2013

I'm also on the hunt for a teacher bag. I've use a laptop rolling bag, a carton cart and I've used a Vera Bradley bag. Frankly so far none have served my needs well.

I know I'm a bit picky but I want a bag that cam house a small laptop along with handheld devices, my hand bag and my lunch bag. I would like it to be some sort of rolling tote so I don't have to do too much heavy lifting. I also want it to be stylish. I know I'm being high maintenance but I have to be happy with it if I'm going to invest,

So having said that, you have to think about your needs and what will work for you.

25. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 25, 2013

Me, too! Although I will admit that I am considering purchasing a Vera Bradley bag to supplement my rolling laptop bag (it will ride on top, which is good for my bad back).

26. alicia32

alicia32 New Member

Jun 26, 2013

Which one do you have? I'm considering getting the "get taken away" carry but I'm not sure if it will be TOO big. It's difficult to tell from the images.

27. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 26, 2013

If you're not tied to a specific pattern, shop the Vera site for sales on most items.:thumb:

28. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jun 27, 2013

I love the Vera bags and was going to get myself one for next school year, but I saw that my school was selling a heavy duty tote bag with the school logo on it for $16 so I'm going with that :)

29. mariecurie

mariecurie Companion

Jun 27, 2013

I'm looking for something as well - I actually used a professional-looking (or as professional-looking as one can be) backpack during student teaching & subbing. I felt a little silly about it, but then again it allows me to carry everything I need. The downfall is that I also need to carry my purse. And I already have enough trouble distinguishing my short, young-looking self from the students. So, I'm looking at a Franklin Covey leather laptop tote.

Here's a link: http://www.ebags.com/product/frankl...257984?productid=10254840#ratings-and-reviews

It's spendy, so I'm not sure about it yet.

30. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jun 27, 2013

I have a small wallet that I keep in my teacher tote bag, so I don't even carry a purse. If I need to run into a store I just take the wallet with me.

31. SportsFanTr

SportsFanTr Companion

Jun 27, 2013

I have this one from Franklin Covey that I got on a sale at Staples for I believe $75 that I really like and have gotten several compliments on. I'm 4"10" and very young looking as well, so I understand your dilemma :cool:

http://www.ebags.com/product/frankl...leather-laptop-tote/257973?productid=10254820

32. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jun 27, 2013

I have the 31 Bags Super Organizing tote. (This isn't the print, they don't make my print any more.) I've used it for 2 years now and love it. It's held up really well, still looks great, and gives me enough pockets and storage to keep everything in there.