Teacher Back to School Clothes

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by 5thgraderocks, Jul 19, 2006.

1. 5thgraderocks

5thgraderocks Companion

Jul 19, 2006

What do you wear to school every day? I know some districts are casual and some require a more professional look. Has anyone found good websites for teacher attire. I love to shop at zappos.com for shoes.

3. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Jul 20, 2006

I love Christopher and Banks for clothing. Professional-casual clothing at pretty reasonable prices!!

4. teacherbell

teacherbell Cohort

Jul 20, 2006

I like to dress professionally. I usually wear nice dress pants, and a nice top or sweater. I usually wear trouser socks and dress shoes (that are comfortable). I find things at Kohl's, Fashion Bug, Dress Barn, Walmart and J.C. Penney. I haven't done a lot of back to school dress clothes shopping yet but I need to.

5. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 20, 2006

I dress professionally- I buy nice suits/skirts/dresses/pants/button down shirts/whatever is tasteful and comfortable from Ross Dress for Less, Bealls Outlet (Florida), Sears, Target, and other stores. :)

6. TeacherRW

TeacherRW Cohort

Jul 20, 2006

Monday through Thursday, I usually dress pretty professionally but more of a casual-professional. I rarely wear dresses or pant suits. On Fridays, we are more casual. So, you'll find me with jeans on or a matching "windsuit"-type outfit. I buy clothing anywhere that is very reasonable and fits. I need to lose weight badly and then I'll be able to and want to buy some newer more professional clothing.

7. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 20, 2006

I love Christopher & Banks! We are to dress professionally, so no denim, or "windsuit" type clothing. Usually a pair of slacks & a top or a skirt. I have a couple of really comfortable dress shoes that I wear.

8. MissB

MissB Companion

Jul 20, 2006

I think JC Penney now has some great professional/casual clothes for great prices. I just started shopping there recently, because I thought their clothes were for either teenagers or the elderly! I was wrong! Now I can't seem to stay away. It's great.

9. NCP

NCP Comrade

Jul 20, 2006

For the past three years I have been limited to what I can wear b/c I had to wear tennis shoes every day. I had both my feet operated on for plantar facitis this last year and have recovered. Luckily I can now wear other shoes w/o much pain. During that time though, I was limited to pants most every day. I shopped at Kohl's, Old Navy, and Dillard's clearance racks. We don't have much more in our area. This year I am excited to be able to buy some other things. Plus I get to shop for a smaller size now too!

10. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jul 20, 2006

Since I teach 2nd graders, I always need to wear something that looks nice and is comfortable (easy to squat it and sit on the floor if necessary). I do wear a nice dress to Open House. Since it's so hot here when we start school, we like to wear capri pants and nice shirts. I have several really nice capri outfits that I can wear. I do like wearing slacks a lot, because I'm always up and down and moving around. I do have several business suits and dresses as well. I usually wear those for formal evaluations and parent/teacher conferences. We do have an unspoken rule about wearing jeans on Friday's and field trips. Since we don't really have a dress code, we just try to make sure that we are decent. I always bend over when I try on new shirts or outfits. If I can see any cleavage, I don't buy it.
    I am going to do the Mr. Roger's idea, and keep a pair of comfortable slip on tennis shoes in my classroom. Might as well as save my feet in there. I can walk in heels everywhere else.

11. natjoejag

natjoejag Companion

Jul 20, 2006

I am such a tennis shoes gal. I try to buy khaki's in all colors and then I can wear tennis shoes and not look too bad. I am young and should where more flattering clothes, but when you are a teacher of 2nd graders you have to be comfortable. I am in a small school and I do PE with the kids, art, everything. I have a few skirts, but it is so cold here in the winter that I only wear them during these hot months. We have huge temp changes through out the year, it is hard to keep up on clothes. The first 2 months and the last 2 months are over 90 degrees and the middle months can get down to below 0.
    If you know of any inexpensive online stores for clothing let me know!!

12. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 20, 2006

natjoejag - not sure if they are online, but I used to get great catalogs from Chadwick's.

13. NCP

NCP Comrade

Jul 20, 2006

14. mrsnoble116

mrsnoble116 Companion

Jul 20, 2006

it depends on how I feel, if I'm feeling fat, it's jeans or khakis and the school tshirt, if I'm feeling a need to impress, or if I know a parent is coming in then I dress up. Dress slacks, blouse. Sometimes a skirt. I wear capris often too.

never ever windsuit, warmups or sweats.

15. mrsnoble116

mrsnoble116 Companion

Jul 20, 2006

natjoejat- oldnavy.com, target.com and walmart.com

16. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 20, 2006

I shop at New York and Company, Kohl's, Goody's, and Old Navy. I normally wear dress pants, button down's, and sweaters. I wear skirts on picture day, conferences, and other "important" days. I have to be comfortable so when I wear heels I bring flats to walk around the classroom in. I also keep a pair of houseshoes for those long afternoons when the kids leave.

17. MS Candy

MS Candy Comrade

Jul 20, 2006

Wow, these are good ideas. I am a TA know and I am trying to figure out my teacher dressing style. I work at a school that dresses much more professional than the one my one boys attends. Personally I like the business look, all those years as a banker. I was not pleased with teacher's wearing flip flops and other casual wear, when I visited my boys school but we are in CA. I think nice khakis and casual flats are good. Of course grade level is a big factor.

18. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Jul 20, 2006

I find pretty good things at the Gap. I will wear skirts, cropped pants and polo shirts when the weather is nice. In the winter I wear sweaters and pants rarely a skirt it gets cold here! I dress nicely from Monday - Thursday. Fridays we can wear jeans but I always look nice. I never wear sweatshirt unless we are going on a field trip.

My aid wears sneakers and jeans everyday put always looks nice and put together.

19. terptoteacher

Jul 20, 2006

My all time favorite shoe is the Professional from Dansco!! I have 3 pairs in different colors and I wear them pretty much everyday!!

20. jcg

jcg Cohort

Jul 20, 2006

I am also a Christopher and Banks junkie, but I hate the teacher motif stuff! I like the professional stuff.

21. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jul 20, 2006

NY and Company, Jones NY, ( sale items). Ann Taylor, and Dress barn are my favorites.

22. MS Candy

MS Candy Comrade

Jul 20, 2006

I love NY and Co and Dress barn, :D .

23. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jul 20, 2006

I didn't buy any new clothes at all last school year except for a treat from my mom in the Spring and now I NEED some. I'll be shopping at Kohl's (one just opened up less than 5 minutes away). Also as close are Target, Ross Dress For Less, Marshalls and a few shoe stores. I also love Ann Taylor Loft (sales, mainly) and find some really good deals at Macy's (some stuff during their major clearance sale in the spring was $3 and 90$ blazers were $9 :) !)

I think I'm going to start a thread specifically about shoes.

24. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Jul 20, 2006

I find pretty good things at Ann Taylor Loft. They have pretty good sale stuff.

25. forbiddenpluto

forbiddenpluto Companion

Jul 20, 2006

Wow! Thank you so much for posting this!!! I'm in the same confusion as well! I'm going to keep an eye on this!

26. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 21, 2006

I already posted, but... I really like Ann Taylor Loft (and also Casual Corner Annex, though many of them closed in my area). Kohl's is a store I have yet to explore, however! :)

Florida is difficult for dressing because of the weather- I can't wear cute jackets all too often, though I still do from December-February because I get cold easily.

Someone mentioned something about sweatshirts, but I have a hooded one from St. Louis that I love and plan to wear on maybe two Fridays this year.

I've never worn these- flip-flops (even with heels), any open-toed shoes, shorts, or any type of "frumpy", real dress-down pants or shirts. I have worn athletic pants once and felt AMAZING, yet it was for field day. :cool: I've worn polos throughout the year on Fridays, but I wear them with capri khakis or nice jeans. When I do wear jeans, most of the time I try to wear a nice button-down shirt or something of the like. I am somewhat fashion-conscious.

I've even worn knee-high black boots and "bohemian-style" skirts with small sequins on it, but you have to be very tasteful in how you do it. One of my closest teacher friends is an impeccable, really unique dresser, but probably only she can really pull off the look with flair.

For back-to-school (first day), I have a pinstripe suit from Filene's Basement in Chicago. :) It's navy blue with faint white and pink stripes. I love it. It was $150 marked down to $60.00, though I can say that's one of my more expensive outfits.

27. cinaminsweet

cinaminsweet Companion

Jul 21, 2006

We are supposed to dress professionally all the time except when we have Uniform Free Days, which is when the students don't have to wear their uniforms. I usually wear nice shirts and blouses, pants, and skirts. When the weather is warm, I wear tank tops and capri pants. I get most of my clothes from New York and Co. (I LOVE that place!), Old Navy, Hechts, Kohls, The Gap, and Express. For shoes, I go to DSW, Off Broadway, Payless, and Hechts. I never shop online for shoes (because I have strange feet and can wear shoes sizes 8 to 10, I have to try them on first to get the actual size), but I do shop online at Old Navy and The Gap for clothes.

28. ViolaSwamp

ViolaSwamp Habitué

Jul 21, 2006

Scrubs???? Okay that's weird. Where I live only people in the medical/dental/veterinary business wear scrubs. Sorry I hope that didn't sound mean it just seems so different to me.

29. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 21, 2006

I wish we had one uniform free day a year- where students could dress nicely on awards ceremony days. :)

30. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 21, 2006

I shop the clearance racks... Have been picking up dress shirts here and there along with sweaters for super cheap (under 10.00 each).

I usually dress "nice" Mon-Wed (dress shirt w/ slacks or capris), wear khakis on Thur, and jeans w/ a school shirt on Fridays. I get most of my school shirts embroidered (I think this makes them look nicer).

31. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jul 21, 2006

I was thinking the same thing. It must be very comfy.

32. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 21, 2006

I dress up-- suits and skirts. I do really well at Kohls!!

33. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 21, 2006

I walk back and forth between two buildings in 90 degree heat and humidity about 10 times a day, so I don't like anything that sticks to me. Loose and light works for me. I do like bright colors. Instead of a jacket, a lightweight blouse over a bright tee is nice. Thankfully, we can wear sandals all year round. Though I come home with mulch from the playground stuck to my feet. Yuck.

34. TeacherKay9

TeacherKay9 Rookie

Jul 23, 2006

I'm in Georgia. In the warm weather :p I wear alot of capris, a tank top and a nice short-sleeve or 3-quarter sleeve shirt over it. I wear nice sandals that are comfy - no flip flops. When it cools off - about Oct or Nov., I wear slacks, loafers and a nice plain t-shirt with a sweater. I never know when there will be a problem with the AC or heat so dressing in layers is best. We do jeans day and school shirts on Fridays - with sneakers. I'd be so happy if I could wear sneakers every day! I like to sit on the floor with the students (3rd grade) when the mood hits me, so I seldom wear skirts or dresses. I do dress up for open house and other occasions as deemed necessary.

35. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 23, 2006

My old navy had their clearance an additional 50% off yesterday. I was able to get a nice pair of slacks for 3.44, and a long sleeved shirt to embroider for 1.42. (They are getting rid of our plus sized section sadly, which I guess is why they were so cheap).

Also, check out sears. They had racks and racks of markdown items. Got another pair of slacks (I have went down a size & all my slacks are too big) and a cute sweater to go with them for 15.00 total.

36. forbiddenpluto

forbiddenpluto Companion

Jul 23, 2006

Just wanted to let ya'll know that I just got over $300 worth of clothes for $90 at Macy's!!! There's an INSANE sale going on!!!

37. katrinkit

katrinkit Comrade

Jul 23, 2006

Although there isn't a lot for teachers, you can sometimes find good clothes at metrostyle.com. You can also get cheaper stuff at victoriassecret.com during their semiannual sales, course, you have to be careful with the necklines most of the time...

38. katrinkit

katrinkit Comrade

Jul 23, 2006

Oh yeah...I always dress more professionally during the first week or two of school, a skirt or dress pants/capris daily, then I relax a bit.

39. terptoteacher

Jul 23, 2006

I know a gal who worked in a special ed preschool and she wore $400 suits to work. :eek: She then tried to bill the district for her dry cleaning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Didn't work.

40. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Jul 23, 2006

I usually hit Ross and TJMaxx first. Then, I'll head to JCPenny's or Banana Republic. I love Banana Republic for pants because they have dress pants made specifically for small people with curvey hips.

I always hit the clearance items first though :p I stay away from Walmart because I don't like the quality there and even the small sizes at Target don't fit me.

41. TXTCHR29

TXTCHR29 Cohort

Jul 23, 2006

Sine I'm in Texas and its so hot here, I usually wear a lot of dressy capris with either a polo shirt or cute button down shirt and I also wear a lot of skirts. For shoes I usually wear dressy heel sandles. When it starts to cool down (Late October) I start to wear dressy slacks and usually boots (my team thinks I'm crazy to wear them all day, but they don't bother me... Plus I'm short and need the height!) Friday is usually my casual day. I pair of khakis/carpis with a school spirit shirt. We are only allowed to wear jeans one Friday a month and we have to wear either a school spirit shirt or a college shirt with them. (we have different colleges come and talk to our older students about their college)