Teacher Attitude and Quality!!

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by cmorrell10, Jan 27, 2010.

1. cmorrell10

cmorrell10 New Member

Jan 27, 2010

What kind of attitude and teaching qualities do you believe a kindergarten techer should have?

3. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jan 27, 2010

Very happy, energetic, and patience, patience, patience!

That is why, sometimes, I feel like a horrible kindergarten teacher. I wish I was peppier.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 27, 2010

I don't know... what do you think?

5. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jan 27, 2010

I don't think kindergarten teachers need to have any different attitude and teaching quality than any other teacher. All teachers should have a positive, compassionate attitude. As far as teaching qualities...they should be flexible, organized, and prepared to teach, regardless of the age. The teaching environment is certainly different than that of a high school or college teacher, for example. Are you referring to that when you talk about teaching qualities?

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 27, 2010

Just curious: was your assignement to take a survey of teachers, or to come up with your own answer?

7. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jan 27, 2010

Ummm.... I agree all should but really K teachers MUST have those peppy sing song, friendly, I got your attention and you love coming to school kind of attitude. I personally didn't used to do it but it's actually kind of fun and they are FIVE and as long as I remember that, it's not too hard. I keep teaching them that in K it is my job to teach them how to be good students for 1st on up. In K we are just practicing so they can get better at it. It's okay to make a mistake. We are learning. Here's what I want everyone to focus on right now. Friends, let's practice two rules for independent work..... Ahh.... give "insert name" a round of applause. She modeled for us where her eyes are supposed to be during independent work. Ahhh...give "insert name" a kiss on the brain for remembering that there is no talking during independent work.

8. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Jan 27, 2010

Patience and a sense of humor. You have to NOT be afraid to make a total ASS of yourself by singing and dancing and acting like a big ol' FOOL in front of the class and usually an extra adult or two as well. :)

I've taught other grades and kindergarten is THE BEST - that is for sure. The kids just LOVE life and learning and really help make my days go fast.

Oh - you have to LOVE getting tons of hugs too. :p

9. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Jan 28, 2010

I respectfully disagree with beckysuek. I don't think any teacher can be an effective Kindergarten teacher just like I don't think any teacher can be an effective 5th grade teacher. I look at our 5th graders and say-ick and our 5th grade teachers look at our Kindergarteners and say yuck. Hopefully every teacher finds the grade level for them. Our upper grade teachers just don't understand how I can deal with runny noses, untied shoes, zipping zippers, peeing, pooping Kindergarteners and it doesn't bother me. I feel that all teachers need to be compassionate, patient, kind and loving--but it is very different with a 5 year old and a 12 year old. Just my opinion.

10. WannaTeach

WannaTeach Companion

Jan 28, 2010

I agree. I always thought I wanted to teach 4th grade and I did for a while. But, whenever I worked with the younger kids, I was a different teacher. I have no problem singing silly songs or leading dancing/movement. I discovered that I was able to be the creative person I am while teaching kindergarten. I have also taught in MultiAge K-2 and loved it!! But, my colleague would tease me about finding my niche with the Kinders. I denied it for a while. But, it's true. A kindergarten teacher also needs to be aware of the needs of the parents. I refer to the first timers. I have had issues with parents who wouldn't leave the room....that's another thread. Be able to be professional and at the same time understand what an adjustment it is for the child and the parent. Some kids have never been away from home to be in a social/school setting. Anyway...I believe everyone has a place where they excel. Just like our students. Sometimes it may take moving from different levels to find the grade that is a perfect fit.

11. royalfamily

royalfamily Rookie

Jan 30, 2010

Kindergarten Teachers

Flexible- The day will never go exactly as you have planned, so have a lot of tricks up your sleeve, and smile, you have the greatest job in the world!!!!!

12. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Jan 30, 2010

Loving, enthusiastic, smart, quick on your feet, alert, firm yet gentle, patient, fun, smiling, and cheerful! Some days you don't feel like singing and dancing but you have to do it anyways! You'll feel better afterwards!:)

Kinder is a childs first "real" school experience and it needs to be a positive one. I love my job but it can be exhausting! Yet, so rewarding! I take kids who don't know a letter in September to reading books and writing stories by the end of the year!!! How can you beat that?!:)

13. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Jan 31, 2010

the 3 Ps. Patience, persistance and perserverance. Flexibility, compassion, a long fuse and the ability to laugh at one's self

14. Kev

Kev New Member

Jan 31, 2010

Being able to see the world from different perspectives. If you understand the perspective of your students, you won't be bothered by anything.