Teacher Assistant??

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by mom2teach, Jun 30, 2013.

1. mom2teach

mom2teach Rookie

Jun 30, 2013

So I am incredibly nervous that I will never find a job for this coming year. I was late getting into the game, I have only started putting in apps for the last 3 weeks, and we have 5 weeks left of summer here.

A postion just opened up at my sons schools as a primary teachers assistant. The pay is $7-15 an hour depending on experience. But subbing only pays $55 a day here, which is barely min wage!

Should I apply for the job? If I got offered it can I continue to look for a teaching position or am I closing that door for next year?

It only looks like a good opportunity because it's at my sons school so that eliminates the need for daycare expenses. Would that look good on a resume, or am I putting myself further away from a teaching position?

Thanks for you thoughts!!

3. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jun 30, 2013

I'm sorry to tell you this but it seems like you already closed the door on yourself by waiting so long to start applying. I would apply for the position but it's not like you are going to fall right into it. They might rehire everyone every year so there may be few actual openings. Also, they may just be interviewing in case they receive unexpected students who require an aid.

4. mom2teach

mom2teach Rookie

Jun 30, 2013

Unfortunately I was waiting to get my praxis test results before I could apply for jobs. I have a teaching degree but have spent the last 14 years home with my kiddos. It took longer than I hoped to get my license figured out, so I must just move forward. I subbed last year, and could do that again, but am wondering if a TA position would be a smart choice. I did a long term TA sub position last year and the school loved me, and let me know if I was ever interested in a full time position they are always looking. But this was not my sons school and if I am paying morning childcare it doesn't make financial sense. But ultimately I'd like to look for an opportunity that would open the most doors for next year, wether its ta or subbing.

5. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 30, 2013

I'd apply.
    As for looking for other positions after accepting this offer (if you are offered the position, of course :) ), be careful. It could burn a bridge with the district.

6. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 30, 2013

I opened the thread, but got distracted, so I didn't see your new post.

I think being a TA is more beneficial than subbing. I could never do it because TAs were paid $8 an hour and subs were paid $13.50 an hour.

7. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jun 30, 2013

It couldn't hurt to apply. I would think most schools would be understanding if you were offered a teacher position, but I've never been in that situation.

8. My3kloves

My3kloves Rookie

Jul 1, 2013

I'm exactly in the same situation. I've been home for 10 years raising my 3 children and now trying to get back to teaching. I'm finding it really hard. I've had 5 interviews for an aide position and only 1 interview for a teacher position. I've been offered the aide positions but I'm still waiting on that teacher job. So if I don't get the teacher position, I will be taking an aide job to get my foot in the door.

9. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jul 1, 2013

Sometimes a district gets to know a candidate by having them work as a T A, sometimes as a sub. I don't think it hurts to ask if you'll be given more consideration (for future jobs) as a sub or as a TA. My district pulls TAs when they need a quick sub and then the pay increases to sub pay.
    My instinct is that with your sons in that school, a job there gives you a foot in the door and is convenient. You'd get to know the curriculum and be an insider who becomes aware of all future openings.
    After 7 years of teaching, I spent 15 years as a SAHM and subbed while working part time for a lot of years. I quit the part time job, got a LTS job and that's what made me more marketable.
    Follow your instincts and good luck!

10. firsttime

firsttime Rookie

Jul 1, 2013

are you in east, middle, or west TN?

11. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 1, 2013

I think the TA job could be beneficial. We actually had a TA who was hired for a mid-year maternity leave position.

12. mom2teach

mom2teach Rookie

Jul 1, 2013

I'm in middle TN

13. Teacher Gii

Teacher Gii Companion

Jul 1, 2013

I was hired last year in my district as an assistant and most certainly still applied for full-time teaching positions. So far the upcoming school year, I have had only one teaching interview :( and will still have the assistant job for the new school year..but of course I too will continue to apply for teaching jobs. I don't think you are closing the doors at all.

14. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 2, 2013

It wouldn't hurt to apply. I understand the daycare dilemma. Sometimes when I've subbed, it's hardly been worth it financially.

If you wanted to leave the TA job for a teaching job, I agree, tread carefully. Some principals are very understanding. I was in a LTS job once and was called to interview for a contracted job in another district. I was honest with my Principal and she said, "you have to go for this". Others might not be so kind.

A TA job can sometimes lead to subbing which leads to contracts.

Good luck.

15. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Jul 2, 2013

Goodness the sub pay where you are is low. Here, the minimum pay is $68 a day and goes up from there based on credentials etc...if you think a TA position might help you get a foot in the door then by all means go for it. Many TA's do land jobs like that!

16. Teacher Gii

Teacher Gii Companion

Jul 2, 2013

My thing about substituting is, there are hundreds of subs in my district so its like, how many sub jobs is one going to be able to sign up for in a week..unless you have a second job, then I guess it wouldn't matter tooooo much. But with me, sub jobs are far and few between in the districts I signed up with in my area..so I almost feel if you want the consistent paycheck (even though it may not pay a lot) for a school year, then TA would be the way to go.

17. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Jul 3, 2013

Good point! I think you have to be the judge of how much sub work you can realistically get in your area. In my county, I worked pretty much every single day once my name got out there. First it was at multiple schools and then after a month or so it was at the school where my kids both are enrolled. I usually got booked for up to a week at a time. I ended up with a pretty constant amount in my checks each month and thankfully, due to the way their pay schedules are broken down, I even have been paid during the summer month of June for work done part of May before school let out.