Teacher assistant knows more than teacher

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by teachpk, Sep 23, 2017.

1. teachpk

teachpk Rookie

Sep 23, 2017

Hi
    Okay. I have a friend who is a retired PK teacher and is working as a TA in a preschool classroom.
    She does not wish to be a lead anymore, but wishes to enjoy continuing her work with children without the responsibility of paperwork, meetings, etc.

Anyway, she tells me that her lead teacher does not do anything with the children. She never does group time or reads a story. She just lets them play and it seems she has no problem with "letting" her assistant (my friend) do the discipling. She never intervenes as a lead teacher should.

Her director does not seem to come in to observe and when the director does come in, that's when the teacher will put on a show.

Any suggestions? I don't think she wants to blow the whistle on her as she truly likes her as a person.

3. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Sep 23, 2017

It isn't uncommon for two teachers in the same classroom to have the same problems. One teacher's personality and experience ends up putting them in charge. Your friend got exactly what she wanted - she is "teaching" without the responsibility of paperwork, meetings, etc. The teacher of record is apparently willing to do all of the things that your friend doesn't want to do in exchange for letting your friend do all of the things your friend wants to do. Your friend should decide whether she truly wants to be an aide, unofficial co-teacher, or "the" teacher. She can only be one of the three, and must decide which one it will be. Out of curiosity, is this friend at the same school she was previously employed at as the teacher? If so, the school may be turning a blind eye because they still see her as a teacher first, aide, well, not so much.

bella84, Caesar753 and AlwaysAttend like this.
  4. teachpk

teachpk Rookie

Sep 23, 2017

Hey Vickilyn
    No, the school she is in now, IS NOT the school she retired from.

Such good points you make vickilyn, but it sure doesn't seem fair that the teacher doesn't do HER job.
    My friend has no problem stepping back since she is the TA, but her personality and experience (like you say) are forcing her to "do the right thing" by the children. I love her for that:)

Master Pre-K likes this.
  5. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Sep 23, 2017

If she really wants to show the weakness of the teacher, your friend has to "be" the aide only. The deficiencies of the teacher will then become glaring. Otherwise, find a new job.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 23, 2017

If your friend truly took the job because she enjoys working with young children then she should continue to do that. There are ways to make suggestions subtly without overstepping...it's a delicate balance and one could wonder if the teacher feels a bit intimidated working with your experienced veteran friend.

bella84 likes this.
  7. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Apr 8, 2018

Hope things have gotten better. It is sad when someone wants to sit on their backside and let you do all the work. And yes, even harder for your friend to sit by and not step up to the plate. I know someone knows what is going on. She is in a difficult place, and again I hope it's improved.