Teacher Asks Kids To Write Down Expletives

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Suburban Gal, Feb 21, 2009.

1. Suburban Gal

Suburban Gal (formerly Elizabeth) Banned

Feb 21, 2009

OMG! :eek: Aren't there better ways to teach our children anti-bullying in school?

A U.K. teacher has come under fire after he asked his class of ten-year-olds to write down a list of the rudest words they know.

Fred Laband, a church school teacher, asked the kids to write down a list of hurtful words commonly used against victims of bullying and classify the words from 'really upsetting' to 'harmless' as party of an anti-bullying lesson.

Parents were shocked when their children came home with books littered with expletives.

The kids came up with words including slang for sex acts and words for male and female private parts.

The words were reportedly even written on the black board.

One mother says, "You don't expect your children to learn this kind of filth at school...I was disgusted."

The school has since apologized.

Copyright WENN.com. Daily Mail contributed to this report.

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 21, 2009

Yah, I saw that on Fark a while ago.

You gotta wonder what some people are thinking when they plan their lessons....

4. Suburban Gal

Suburban Gal (formerly Elizabeth) Banned

Feb 22, 2009

Ain't that the truth? :confused:

5. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Feb 22, 2009

I did a lesson called put down the put downs once. The kids had to write on a piece of paper "put downs" that kids have said to them. Then they ripped up or crumpled up the paper and threw it in the trash, as a way to symbolize that we are throwing away these put downs so they will never be used in this classroom again. Now, this was done in first grade, the kids didn't share their put downs, they didn't take them home, theyw ere thrown away.

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 22, 2009

I think put-downs are different from expletives. I also think that, although there might be a few surprises, the put-downs that first graders can come up with aren't going to be even sort of as explicit as the expletives that fifth graders can come up with.