Teacher Appreciation

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by czacza, May 3, 2010.

1. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 3, 2010

Tomorrow is TA day! My PTO is throwing us breakfast- we usually get a small gift as well (water bottles, coffee certificates, etc)...and later in the week, the administration is hosting another breakfast for us...

What's going on in your schools?

3. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

May 3, 2010

Haven't heard a word! However, a little girl in my class gave me a beautiful looking/smelling candle today with a wonderful thank you card. I am proudly displaying it in my room!

4. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

May 3, 2010

We jokingly call it "Make Your Teacher Fat" week at our school. We are getting a breakfast on Wednesday, and we had a survey asking our favorite pizza topping and Blizzard flavor in our mailboxes a few weeks ago. As much as it is wonderful to be appreciated, it would be nice if they had some less fattening ways to express their thanks. (And I'm not at all complaining; I just find it kind of ironic).

5. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

May 3, 2010

We did ours the week after testing. We had donuts and fruit each morning, and lunch each day, with door prizes each day. They put little chocolates in our box each day, as well. It was pretty awesome!

6. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

May 3, 2010

Our old P used to cater either breakfast or lunch. He would also buy us little goofy gifts like timers, stress balls, etc.

7. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

May 3, 2010

It's hit or miss at my school. Sometimes we get coffee and bagels. Sometimes nothing.

8. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

May 3, 2010

We got little vases of flowers-it was a really nice gesture. PTO will do a lunch with a Cinco de Mayo theme. We have an assembly on Friday where each teacher is walked by one of their students and all the students sing some songs.

I got the sweetest gift from one of my staff kids-the mom got a wooden stool and the kid decorated it with - My teacher Rocks, etc. then she sprayed it with shellac. It's so beautiful and thoughtful! :wub: I never would have thought of something like that.

9. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

May 3, 2010

I am the student council advisor so I along with the student council students will be providing a breakfast for the teachers tomorrow morning.

PTA and some of the student council kids will wash all of the teachers cars this week as well. ( I need my car washed soooo bad :) )

10. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

May 3, 2010

I don't know what will happen at my new school, but I am betting very little.

In my last building we got food and gifts all week.

Today the super, principal, and a board member came around and gave me a little zip cord for my ID. They were like "Oh, a new person! We get to surprise you! I bet you didn't know you were getting a gift!" and I wanted to say "where's my breakfast?" Sorry to sound ungrateful, but I can't believe how they treat people at this place and if they think I am going to get excited about a zip cord thing, they are nuts.

11. KLSSwimmer

KLSSwimmer Habitué

May 3, 2010

Nothing yet, but I do know that our PTO took up money for a collection of some sort. :)

12. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

May 3, 2010

I think I'm getting the same thing that I got last year and the year before...NOTHING!! :(

Well, I was mistaken:D. My secretary was looking at the calendar while I was in her office on Monday and said something about it being Teacher's Appreciation day and I told her that it has never been acknowledged since I worked at our school and that in Georgia, it was always acknowledged. So, yesterday she got us all a chocolate bar and a pen (so we will stop stealing hers, lol).

13. Major

Major Connoisseur

May 3, 2010

I've invited 10 of my favorite teachers (two 3rd grade, four 4th grade and four 5th grade) over a Major hot tub party.... And of course all AtoZ teachers are invited........:p:p:p

Major........:):):)

14. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

May 3, 2010

Today was Red Day...I got a candle, a box of red M & M's, a bag of chocolates wrapped in red wrappers, an apple, strawberries, and something else--I forgot--and a silver travel mug with a red lid that had the schools logo on it with tea.
    Tomorrow is white day.

15. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 3, 2010

No parent group or PTO at my school, so I'm heading it up for our teachers. I don't think they've ever recognized it before. I re-did the lounge over the weekend/this morning, bringing in bagels and making our first pot of communal coffee. Everyone was really happy. We have tons of left over bagels for tomorrow. I have Mary Engelbreit notepads I got from Micheals a while ago to stick in mailboxes. I'll make cupcakes later in the week, and brainstorm other ideas. I really, really love my co-workers-they are so friendly, warm, never gossip, etc. My appreciation is HUGE!

Pictures of lounge: http://forums.atozteacherstuff.com/showthread.php?p=1210182#post1210182

16. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

May 4, 2010

Yesterday, student council came by with a cell phone holder and pens for everyone. Today, they gave us breakfast (OJ and donuts and bagels)... district office is providing breakfast tomorrow and I think PTO is providing lunch Thursday. Friday is a half day of school... we have an extended lunch, but that's because they're giving us time to go vote on our new contract. They are bringing in a massage therapist Thurs. and Fri. morning to do chair massages if you signed up. I'm looking forward to that one! Not sure what else, if anything, is planned.

17. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

May 4, 2010

We got the chair massages my first year--the masseuse commented that it must be a stressful time of year because all of our shoulders were really tight. Ummm...yeah, May is pretty crazy!!

We got Blizzards delivered after school today--a nice treat as we all stay for extra help session.

One of my students brought me a "cupcake bouquet" with 6 giant cupcakes from the fancy bakery in town. I'm hoping they will freeze well, because I do not need to eat 6 giant cupcakes!!

18. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

May 4, 2010

I'm StuCo Advisor ...
    StuCo is giving bags of chocolate to everyone. One bag will have a golden ticket. The winner gets a $20 gift card to Target.

19. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

May 4, 2010

Today there were chair massages, but I didn't go - I did it last year and found it kind of irritating rather than relaxing. Tomorrow we have a coffee truck at school, and kids from the ASG will deliver the beverage we ordered. Thursday is the biggie, a luncheon from the PTSA catered by BJ's Restaurant - that should be great! In the past we've also gotten some kind of gift, but I'm guessing not this year, since the PTSA has donated more money to the departments. That's fine with me; I don't need another tote bag or key chain.

20. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

May 5, 2010

We have been having treats and gifts everyday. Today is our PTO luncheon and our biggest gift comes from them.

21. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

May 5, 2010

We have been out of school all week so far.... guess the days off are my gift? I know that usually we have something small in our boxes each day with a cute saying.

22. Iowa_Teacher

Iowa_Teacher Rookie

May 5, 2010

We get breakfast on Friday from student government, but nothing from administration. I think it says something when the secretaries get flowers on secretary day, yet we go unacknowledged...:confused:

23. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

May 5, 2010

A different club at school has adopted a day of the week. So far we have gotten pizza for lunch, candy bars, gift bags with pens, pencils, post-it notes; a potted plant, and cookies. I think donuts, sub sandwiches and other fattening foods are on the schedule. I think it is "Make A Teacher Fat Week." :)

24. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

May 5, 2010

That's how it was when I was in school, too.

25. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

May 5, 2010

Monday a local restraunt catered food in for us. It was scrumptious! There was tons of it, so we had lunch for Tuesday as well. The owner is one of our school adopters, and her daughter is our P.E. teacher.

Tuesday we were given a treat from the PTO. It was a small 100 Grand bar with a saying on it that we're worth more than 100 grand. Attached was a $5 Sonic gift card. They know we like our Sonic drinks!

Today we got a really nice gift from our adopters. It's a sticky note portfolio. It has tons of sticky notes in all different sizes in it. Perfect for our Pod Planning time. It's really nice and has a cute little teacher logo on the front. I also got my name drawn today! I never get my name drawn. They draw 3 teachers a day, and those teachers get to go choose an item out of the goody stash that the adopters have collected. I chose a $20 gift certificate to a new little scrapbooking store in our town.

That's already a lot, and we have 2 days to go.

26. Kase

Kase Companion

May 5, 2010

We get lunch everyday except for Thursday when we get breakfast. Our bosses get us little gifts too for each day. Usually parents bring in gifts as well. I love getting cards from my toddlers with their drawings on it.

27. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

May 5, 2010

We had breakfast casseroles on Monday. Belgian waffles and sausage
    casserole on Tuesday. Bar B Q lunch catered on Wed, Desserts on Thurs and Fri. And ladies got a necklace with our mascot
    (hornet) and men got subway gift cards. Principal cooked the belgian waffles and sausage casserole. The sausage thing is great browned sausage and cream cheese cooked between crescent rolls.

28. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

May 5, 2010

Wow, I'm jealous. Not a thing has been said or done at my school. Typical.

29. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

May 5, 2010

I LOVE my sticky pad portfolio. We got those last year. At my old job.

30. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

May 5, 2010

Ours was so nice! Student Council catered a breakfast for us; admin BBQ'd lunch. Each day, the Student Council is coming around with a small, hand-made card or letter and little present. I love the cards - the kids have put a LOT of effort into saying "Thank You!"

31. Securis

Securis Cohort

May 5, 2010

We've had an announcement over the intercom and a 'thank you' at the end of a meeting today. Maybe something will happen later this week.

32. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

May 5, 2010

We received gift cards.

33. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 5, 2010

I brought in donuts today. I've only eaten 1. And a half. ;) I'll pass out Mary Engelbreit notepads tomorrow. Friday is a PD day-I wish I could get lunch catered by someone, but it's a little late for that. Ah, well. Oh! We know a restaurant owner.... I wonder if she would do it...

34. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

May 5, 2010

Ok, the more I read the more depressed I get. LOL
    Jem you are so generous!! Has anyone done anything for YOU?

35. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 5, 2010

They do it every day-this is the BEST staff to work with! My 'boss' (I have about 3 here) called me over today. I'm so use to being in trouble when a boss talks to me that I'm like an abused dog-I immediately start running things over in my head that I might be in trouble for. I'm thinking-did a kid touch the new coffee pot? Did I leave my Diet Coke sitting out? Ect. No-he wanted me to work a recruitment event tonight because he's so impressed with my energy and social skills. I'm not use to having a boss that gives me great jobs like that to do. It's the same with all the other workers here-they are positive, warm, friendly, hug-gy and genuine. No one gossips or belittles you or makes you feel bad. I'm probably the hardest on myself because of my past positions, but that's all mental.

Kinder-can you lead a committee of volunteer parents next year? I'm finding that if it's not being done by someone else, I just need to jump in and start the ball rolling.

36. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

May 5, 2010

What's the day? Oh, Teacher Appreciation??? No one on my campus has noticed. My P is really slipping, but then he's been in the ER with his mother-i-law two nights this week. We usually have someone come in for chair massages. :(

37. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

May 5, 2010

Little gifts in our mailboxes each day, and a GREAT grilled BBQ lunch today. I saw some pretty gerbra daisies in the office for us tomorrow.

38. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

May 5, 2010

Nothing so far, although the main boss brought in some doughnuts today, but didn't say they were for Teacher Appreciation! We are all wondering and laughing, waiting to see what Thursday and Friday could bring!

39. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

May 5, 2010

Lunch today and a big lunch next week because we had so many teachers absent this week for a conference and illness. The PTA sent a note home for kids to bring stuff in. I don’t know if they will- I hope they don’t because most of the families really don’t have money to spend on gifts for me!

One of the kids brought me a muffin :)

( one of my more precocious kids asked if she could appreciate me next week when she gets her allowance :haha: )

40. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

May 7, 2010

We got gifts everyday. The "biggies" were insulated metal coffee cups with our school logo and a teacher bag with the school logo. We had lunch on Wednesday and Friday. We got candy almost everyday. We also got gifts from our students. I got all kinds of candy, candles, cards, flowers, and candle sticks. We had a great week. My parents are great to me everyday not just Teacher Apprec. week.

41. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

May 7, 2010

I think I posted before but don't want to spend time findingo ut :)

Monday- student council came around and gave all of us a cell phone ohlder nad pens
    Tuesday- student council sponsored breakfast (OJ, donuts, bagels)
    Wednesday- board of education catered breakfast
    Thursday- pto brought in lunch
    Friday- school tote bags from P and AP. We also had an extended lunch break (half-day for kids due to inservice this afternoon) but that was so we could go vote on our new contract.

Student council sold carnations during lunch on Wed. and Thurs. and lots of kids bought them to give to their teachers.

Thursday and Friday we could also sign up for a 7-min. massage courtesy of PTO. It was not long enough :)

I didn't get anything from parents, but I know they appreciate me because they tell me every time they talk to me :)