Teacher Appreciation Week

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Upsadaisy, May 4, 2005.

1. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

May 4, 2005

Just wondering how other schools are recognizing Teacher Appreciation Week. We have been getting small gifts each day and on Friday will have 2 periods of class coverage so we can attend a luncheon. There are usually great door prizes there, too. :D

3. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

May 4, 2005

Absolutely nothing. :(

4. JulesW

JulesW Rookie

May 4, 2005

We got a little toolkit w/ our high school logo on it on Monday since we "give the kids the tools they need" or some such message with it, and they put things like an oatmeal cream pie and gum in our mailboxes. that luncheon sounds great, wish they would do something liket that for us!

5. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

May 4, 2005

we had a lunch today.....very nice.....and my kiddies gave me an album, they each filled out a page about them and included a picture and some other fun info! They also made a craft vey cute and thoughtful!!

6. gigi

gigi Groupie

May 4, 2005

As far as I know there is going to be a luncheon sponsored by the PTO next week. Other than that - nothing!!

7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

May 4, 2005

I got some Lenox china from a parent today.

8. AMK

AMK Aficionado

May 4, 2005

I got a plant from my class. Then the teachers had bagels for breakfast yesterday and we all recieved a 25 dollar gift cert. to Staples. It was nice and very thoughtful but I would prefer a lunch over a breakfast!

9. gigi

gigi Groupie

May 4, 2005

Wow, China, a gift certificate and plants. Consider yourself appreciated!
    You deserve it, enjoy all of it.

10. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

May 4, 2005

Yes, and the lunch is for two straight periods (time even for a nap! LOL) while parent volunteers have the kids make cards and play on the playground. The food is usually catered and terrific. Some years there are great gift packages at each place setting. No one but teachers allowed in.

11. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

May 4, 2005

Well, mine involves a much more expensive expense!
    The breakfast on monday was off limits to me, as i had gastric bypass surgery in September and DONT eat bagels or muffins. I actually entitled myself to a TWO BY TWO slice of banana bread which twenty minutes later would have me in a bariatric reaction that put me in the ER for eight hours for a strand of testing. I will have to pay 20% of the cost. (I got a clean bill of health from all the tests and other then an unknown 2cm cyst on an ovary, my insides are great.) No more 'trying new foods for me!'

So tuesday I didnt touch the veggie platter and sub sandwiches. Today was boston market and bunch of deserts. The first day we got a basket of apples, another day we got a coffee mug... really cute gifts that the PTO put together. Today I got a FIFTY dollar SAM/WALMART gift card! How cool is that!?

As for my kids school, we were told monday to bring in flowers (so i gave their teacher suction cup bud vase) Tuesday was sweets day. (so I gave their teacher a bag of life savers) Wed. was stationary day such as office/desk supplies. (so i gave their teacher thick pad of paper with cute clouds on it) Thursday is Scrapbook day- (each child had to make a page for their teacher) Friday is a surprise. It must be what we gave monies to the room moms for.

12. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

May 4, 2005

I'm glad you're okay now mommaruthie!!

I've been running a discount for the store this week to celebrate Teacher Appreciation Week - You can get 15% off orders over $10. Use the code SUPERTEACHER when checking out. :)
    http://store.atozteacherstuff.com/

13. ellen_a

ellen_a Groupie

May 4, 2005

We had a catered "Southern picnic" today from a local barbecue place. I don't like food with bones in it so I didn't partake (I did eat a little bit of mac salad). I don't get a lunch break so I had to run in, grab a plate, wrap it up and take it with me. I also got a Snickers bar in my mailbox from the office secretaries.

My program gave me a lunchbox with our logo on it (boring!). My boss also brought me new curriculum supplies (WOO HOOOOOOO!)--not mine to keep but very exciting as its really the first stuff I've gotten all year. I was also notified that they ordered me new furniture and I can start taking all my personal furniture back to my apartment---woo hooooooo!!!

14. Missy

Missy Aficionado

May 4, 2005

Nothing this week for us, but next week PTO will serve lunch and give us each a check for $100. to spend on our classroom. My great husband brought me flowers on Tuesday!

15. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

May 4, 2005

We had bagels and coffee in the conference room this morning. The kids had a half day so we were all able to eat lunch together too. We ordered ahead of time and the head custodian cooked steak and chicken outside on the grill for us. They set up the tables nicely and played music...it was really nice.

16. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

May 4, 2005

Each day our PTO has a different grade bringing food for the lounge. That's it. I had Project Read training Mon and Tues and Jason training tomorrow so I'm missing most of the week anyway. :(

17. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

May 4, 2005

Our boss paid for a night out for teachers. We had an excellent meal served to us, a comedian guest speaker and lots of door prizes. I didn't win anything, but one in our group won a huge picnic basket full of stuff" and another one won some Groucho eye glasses with the moustache! We had fun.

18. mrs. dub

mrs. dub Companion

May 4, 2005

*Sigh*

This week feels like the furthest away from "teacher appreciation". The school has announced that it has no money or intention of doing anything for teacher appreciation week. And, four of my best students went truant today. Anyone else feeling totally UNappreciated this year?

I hope tomorrow is better!

19. aussiejen

aussiejen Rookie

May 5, 2005

Wow!!! All these things sound great!

We have Teacher Day - if we are really lucky the Principal will bring in a cake!!! - but only if we're really lucky!

I doubt most of the parents would even know it was teacher's day!

Oh well - lucky we love what we do!

20. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

May 5, 2005

Today one of my parents brought in something that they all chipped in for. I only have 6 kids in my home daycare and being that I work alone and for myself, I really didn't want to post anything to sound greedy. But, my families all recognized it and made me cry. They went to a store we have (probably are many around the US) called Things Engraved. They gave me this star shaped trinket box with "Best Teacher, Ms. Jennie 2005" engraved on it. It has stones on the outside, very sparkly, and is made of pewter. Inside there are little heavy pewter stars you can take out with each child's name engraved on them. It is gorgeous and am so thankful to have families that are so wonderful and caring.

21. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

May 5, 2005

Mommaruthie: hope your surgery went well. My cousin had that done a couple years ago and lost over 100 pounds. She's doing well and hasn't had any complications thus far.

22. Prissypants

Prissypants Companion

May 5, 2005

We got polo-style shirts today and a bag of candy. On Tuesday we had an after school meeting and drew for door prizes. These were all gifts from the community and included things like a $50 spa package, a massage, dinner for two at a local bistro, etc. It was really nice. Wednesday there was a sponsored lunch at a parent's house just across the street. (Let me tell you, just sitting in this house felt like a luxury, not to mention getting to eat the food.) And, I think we're getting something else tomorrow, but I'm not sure what. All in all, it's been really great.

23. jen7-19

jen7-19 Rookie

May 5, 2005

Student Council cooked hamburgers for us on Tuesday. PTO fixed lunch for us today. and there is a drawing tomorrow. My kids didn't do anything for me. Most don't even know that it is teacher appreciate.

24. D2theMcV

D2theMcV Rookie

May 5, 2005

we had a big sub sandwich in the lounge weds. we also got a pencil in our mailbox from the nea.

i think they sort of let it fall by the wayside since it also overlapped with "International Respect for Chickens" day on weds. (i can give you the addy for the web page if you don't believe me!) i celebrated that by showing a really odd documentary about......well, chickens.

25. ellen_a

ellen_a Groupie

May 5, 2005

I got a Snickers bar in my mailbox today from the secretaries! And the admin said teachers can wear jeans on Friday. Not terribly exciting for me, just makes me realize I've broken some kind of school rule every Friday leading up to this one. Oops. :D

26. AMK

AMK Aficionado

May 5, 2005

We had another breakfast today, it was nice

27. ViolaSwamp

ViolaSwamp Habitué

May 5, 2005

I'm a sub...this is how I've made out at the school's I've visited.

Monday--fresh strawberries and a variety of Hershey's Kisses in the staff lounge

Tuesday--Parent donated staff lunch (they own a restaurant) More chocolates
    Wednesday--Apples, leftovers from Tues., carrot cake, more chocolates (from PTA) Bahama Breeze restaurant hosted a teacher's day. They gave us free non alcoholic drinks and tons of different appetizers! Even had a drawing for a 4 day, 3 night cruise!
    Thursday--PTA paid for 10 minute massages!

I heard they were planning to do car washes but they had to cancel that because a student group decided last week to hold a car wash as a fund raiser.
    I heard that Friday is staff breakfast!

We've been so spoiled!

28. mmeblue

mmeblue Rookie

May 6, 2005

My school has had a different theme for each day. Monday was "sweet treats," Tuesday was fruits, Wednesday was notes, Thursday was prayer (National Day of Prayer), and Friday (today) is flowers. I feel like a spoiled brat for saying it, but they took away one of my favorite themes that they had last year: school supplies! It was great for replenishing post-it notes, overhead markers, paper clips, etc. My real favorite is the notes, though - it's so sweet to have the kids write notes to their teachers about how they appreciate us. :)

29. CpSpalding

CpSpalding New Member

May 6, 2005

I received my Teacher's Appreciation Day present on Tuesday of this week. It was a certificate from some nameless bureaucrat who never met me in his life. The slick paper and laser printing really showed they cared. It was delivered to me by a secretary who grunted in my face "Sign Here". We wouldn't want anybody to feel unappreciated. They say "Teacher and Staff Appreciation Day May 3, 2005" so obviously somebody forgot about them for a whole day. Of course after 4 years here nobody can tell me if I have a job next year. We will actually have 23 people lose their jobs because of a new school being built nearby and the message we've gotten from administration is "oh well life goes on, make sure all your paperwork is filled out before you go."

30. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 6, 2005

Were you invited as a sub to partake?

31. ViolaSwamp

ViolaSwamp Habitué

May 6, 2005

I am a very well known sub. Our district only has 5 schools and I've worked at all of them over the last 2+ years. The 3 buildings I was at this week took it as "Staff Appreciation". I suspect it was because not nearly as much was done for support staff and office admin. on their day/week. I was encouraged to take part. There was plenty of food and unused massage slots. Hey, I was there instead of someone else and I am a certified teacher!!!! Some districts know that subs are people too.

32. sandimreyes

sandimreyes Comrade

May 6, 2005

My school is always good about honoring Teacher Appreciation Week, but this year, I think they REALLY REALLY did an outstanding job.

Monday - We rec'd a glass vase from the PTA with a list of all the activities that would happen throughout the week. Our office personnel sent us each a goodie bag with a 100 grand bar it in.

Tuesday - The children were told to bring in flowers to fill the vase we had rec'd the day before. There were flowers everywhere.

Wednesday - The PTA sponsored and provided a catered BBQ lunch for us. The students brought in homemade cards of appreciation. Our office personnel provided us with a "Make your own sundae" party after school. Kids continued to bring in small gifts.

Thursday - The PTA set-up a home cooked breakfast for us. They started it early and the principal delayed the morning bell for a few minutes to give us extra time to relax. (Some of us also rec'd large amount gift cards from some students, but I think that was just individual choice, not set-up ahead of time.)

Friday - The PTA came around to our classrooms with a Tea cart containing breakfast and dessert items, as well as tea, coffee, OJ, etc. Our principal and assistant principal sent us a notice inviting us to an afternoon tea on May 17th.

How wonderful it was to be appreciated!

33. Cole

Cole Companion

May 6, 2005

y'all make me jealous...

we got absolutely nothing.