Teacher Appreciation Week

Discussion in 'General Education' started by shortee, May 6, 2010.

1. shortee

shortee Companion

May 6, 2010

Hope you're all having a great teacher appreciation week. What wonderful things have your schools done for you this week to show you how much they care?

3. txteach2b

txteach2b Comrade

May 6, 2010

Mon - DQ blizzard coupon
    Tue - fruit tray & donuts for breakfast...local church ladies brought cake & cupcakes for dessert after lunch
    Wed - ice cream floats at lunch
    Thu - hamburgers from a local restaurant
    Fri - we will get a "spa" treatment for 20 mins...hand & back massage, things like that

All in all, not too bad!

4. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

May 6, 2010

Thanks, I hope yours is going great, too! :D

The PTO put a memo in our school newsletter asking parents to have their children bring teachers flowers. Needless to say, I have been BOMBARDED with flowers all week. I keep joking that my desk is now a garden.

On Tuesday the PTO provided breakfast, on Wednesday the superintendent provided breakfast, and today we were provided lunch and breakfast.

My room parent also gave me a potted plant. The kids signed the pot, and she stuck little pencils inside that have sayings like "Thank you for helping us erase our mistakes." The kids also finished the sentence "Miss K. is special because..."

I feel so spoiled!

5. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 6, 2010

I'm in charge this year, as they've never done and I think it should be done! ;)

Monday and Tuesday I brought bagels and cream cheese.
    Wednesday was donuts.
    Today was muffins and Mary Engelbreit notepads to write co-workers 'love notes'.
    Tomorrow I have a parent bringing in chocolate craziness. I'm hoping to do some sort of dip in the crock pot with chips. We have PD all day, so I want something they can graze on...

Next year I plan to have a parent committee help me go ALL out...

6. bridgetbordeaux

bridgetbordeaux Companion

May 6, 2010

the year I did my internship I was surprised at how the parents went all out for us. One day they brought flowers, one day they brought notes that they wrote for their children (it was PreK) We had desserts one day and then a Mexican Restaurant sent us lunch, and on Friday, the parents that wanted to sent small gifts. It was wonderful, since I wasn't even a real teacher yet and they included me in their appreciation.

7. jenn888

jenn888 Rookie

May 6, 2010

nothing..we got NOTHING!

8. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

May 6, 2010

Mon- cookies in our box
    Tues- Krispy Kreme for breakfast
    Wed- Milky Way in our box
    Thur- ice cream at lunch
    Fri- Texas Roadhouse lunch

Parents at our school typically go all out but both of my room moms forgot to send home a letter. Only two of my students brought anything. One has been providing me with yummy snacks all week and the other has been bringing very sweet gifts each day. Today she brought a little votive holder and candle with a note about how I "light" up her life. Yesterday was a picture frame for making her year "picture perfect." Very cute!!

9. sunshine*inc

sunshine*inc Cohort

May 7, 2010

The teachers at the school I sub at received items from the students each day. They received flowers, notes and I forogt what they received on Wed. Today they received classroom supplies which they appreciated.

10. tgim

tgim Habitué

May 7, 2010

Appreciation for My Early Teachers

I got a card and a hanging plant.

For me, I would rather have a note or card (flowers are nice, too) than the food items - BUT Txtch2b and several others, you are seriously making me rethink that!!

I posted a tribute to two of my elementary teachers on my classroom website's blog page. They inspired me to want to be a positive role model in the lives of young people and to want to instill in them a passion for learning. With the help of my cousin who still lives in my hometown (and even works at my elem. school), I was able to track down the one who is still living. Last night I wrote her a long letter and printed off the blog page to send to her. It felt really amazing to be able to put into words what she meant to me. :hugs:

11. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

May 7, 2010

We have been out of school all week (due to flooding).

12. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

May 7, 2010

Nothing for us so far. I'm hoping they have something today.

13. janlee

janlee Devotee

May 7, 2010

Thoughtful and appreciative happenings in my school were:

Lunch provided by our principal on Tuesday
    Buffet lunch provided by the PTA on Wednesday
    A raffle for dinner and a movie on Thursday
    A beautiful bouquet of flowers to be raffled off today
    And each teacher received a handmade booklet created by their class with the class picture on the front (courtesy of the PTA)

14. beccmo

beccmo Comrade

May 7, 2010

Monday: Homemade muffins and breads
    Tuesday: Huge basket of bitesized candies-including chocolate

Friday: Salad buffet lunch. Macaroni, greek, pasta, jello, etc. Basically anything BUT a basic salad. Someone brought in 2 different types of salsa with chips.

15. tgim

tgim Habitué

May 7, 2010

My school in KY used to get parents to cover our classes so we could go out to lunch as a team! It was great!

16. teacherheath

teacherheath Companion

May 7, 2010

We have been SPOILED. Monday, PTA brought in fruit, muffins, juice and coffee before school. Thursday, a local restaurant (co-worker & husband own) brought in lunch for staff. Today, PTA did lunch for us--a taco bar. Also, the principal and office staff did a daily drawing. They gave all the staff members tickets and we wrote our names on them for the drawing. Each morning, they drew out 5-ish names for various prizes. Also, I had some very thoughtful families send in individual gifts. Wow!

17. Muttling

Muttling Devotee

May 7, 2010

It's teacher appreciation week????????

(I'm not joking, this is the first I've heard of it.)

18. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

May 7, 2010

We were very lucky...
    Mon - Coke floats at our staff meeting
    Tues - PTA grilled burgers & fajitas and provided sides, chips, and dessert
    Wed - Cafeteria provided breakfast tacos, muffins, banana bread, coffee and juice
    Thu - Administration bought us all Chinese food for lunch

Nothing today since all the intermediate grades has a field trip, but kids were supposed to bring in different items each day... flowers, fruit, office supplies, dessert, and something to make their teacher feel good. Our district also did daily drawings for prizes from local businesses, which was a great first!

19. StudentTeach

StudentTeach Comrade

May 8, 2010

On Wednesday we got a lunch sponsored by the board of education. But later that day at a staff meeting we were given some iffy data on the superintendent walk-through and it wasn't exactly a pat on the back... way to appreciate...

20. pontiac8411

pontiac8411 Rookie

May 8, 2010

Layoffs :(

21. MrsHoot

MrsHoot Comrade

May 8, 2010

First year at my school, and we are spoiled rotten! I LOVE teacher appreciation week. =)

Monday: Each kid brought in a flower/flowers and PTO made us freshly on the spot waffle bowl sundaes.
    Tuesday: We got breakfast from Central Office which was really nice. Kids brought in candy. PTO made us funnel cakes--my favorite!!
    Wednesday: Kids brought us fruit. PTO made us smoothies.
    Thursday: Kids brought in pictures for us or of us together. PTO had all different types of popcorn.

Friday: Kids brought in cards and PTO brought us a fabulous lunch and dessert.

I wasn't expecting anything, so I was amazed!!