Teacher and Support Employee awards

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Michelle, Nov 7, 2019.

1. Michelle

Michelle Rookie

Nov 7, 2019

Do your schools / school districts recognize a teacher at every school for teacher of the year and a support staff as support employee of the year?
    Word on the street is that my district cut funding for support staff awards / recognition this year. Why would you cut recognition of people who already feel they are the low people on the totem pole ?

Tired Teacher likes this.
  3. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Nov 7, 2019

I previously worked for a district that did support staff awards, but my current district only does teacher of the year awards.

4. Michelle

Michelle Rookie

Nov 7, 2019

Do you think that it reduces support staff morale ?

5. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Nov 7, 2019

Why is funding required to give someone an award? Is it a monetary award?

I've never worked anywhere that had TOTY and truthfully I'm glad about that. It seems like it causes a lot of drama and hurt feelings in places that do have it- ends up being a popularity contest, people who toot their own horn get it, etc.

6. Michelle

Michelle Rookie

Nov 8, 2019

Not a monetary award. In the past, each school in the county has selected one teacher and one support staff to be recognized. Letters of support are written and reviewed at county level and one teacher and one support staff is selected as “winners” for the county. ( as well as one principal ) they then move on to state recognition. Everyone is awarded a certificate and small county gift at a county wide reception. Although this year they have decided to just recognize teachers.
    Yes, many do see it as a popularity contest. ( especially the assistants / paras )

7. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Nov 8, 2019

I don't think so. I could see that being an effect if they previously gave the award, but, since it's not something that has ever been done, I don't think anyone cares much.

My school also doesn't make a big deal out of the teacher of the year award. The principal of each building chooses one person for the building-level award, and then the superintendent choose one teacher to represent the district. All awards are announced the same day. There is no voting, and we don't even know it's coming until it happens.

Michelle and Tired Teacher like this.
  8. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Cohort

Nov 8, 2019

I have only worked in 2 districts. Both do TOY, but neither did it for the support staff. If your district did it in the past, then just stopped one, that is pretty cold. Is there anyway the teachers could get together and make their own ceremony for support staff? It doesn't seem like it'd cost much. Maybe a cake, award, and a lunch....

Michelle likes this.
  9. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Cohort

Nov 8, 2019

I am a witness to it that it can cause drama and hurt feelings. It used to be a popularity contest where I 1st came from. That was OK because teachers nominated and voted for nice people which promoted niceness..lol It was a civil place.
    When I moved here, people (parents, teachers, whomever) would nominate you for it. THEN you ,as the teacher, had to do a butt load of paperwork and toot your own horn majorly. When 1 teacher won from our school many of us just laughed inside. She was a horrible teacher and mean. She bragged about herself incessantly. All of us had been nominated, but the rest of us looked at the paperwork and said, "No thanks!" I'd bet she put in a good 40 hours preparing her documentation of how wonderful she thought she was!

Michelle likes this.
  10. Michelle

Michelle Rookie

Nov 9, 2019

Yes they suddenly stopped this year - citing budge cuts. In all honesty, no. I don’t see teachers doing something on their own for the support staff

11. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Cohort

Nov 9, 2019

I think budget cuts is a ridiculous reason. That is sad that your teachers wouldn't continue the tradition. Are they unaware, cheap, or just not very nice people? Actually, the more I think about it, many teachers resent teacher of the year. They think it breeds competition and it probably does in many places.
    It just never did in the districts I was in....like I mentioned before, the 1st school you won it for being a nice/good, helpful person basically.
    The 2nd district, you could win it by wasting your time filling out probably over 40 hrs of documentation and tooting your own horn. The majority of us would not waste our time like that and are pretty humble people.
    It is very possible a lot of your teachers resent or disapprove of the whole idea in general. I've known many teachers whose entire staffs refused to participate in it because they all worked hard together and did not like the idea of it.

Michelle likes this.
  12. Michelle

Michelle Rookie

Nov 10, 2019

I think a lot of the teachers are unaware of the changes and wouldn’t feel as though it’s their responsibility - but the admins responsibility.
    Honestly I feel the teachers in my county thrive on the recognition because my school district is top in the state. It’s the assistants who are the ones that noticed and questioned. Nothing was told to us as the reason why. I took it on my own to research.

13. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Cohort

Nov 10, 2019

OK This made me kind of chuckle. Our school learned yrs ago that if teachers did not organize a celebration there would be none. I think our P sees it as an unnecessary waste of time to celebrate anything.
    Maybe if the teachers were aware, they'd do something. I guess it really depends on the climate of the school. It'd be an interesting post though to see how teachers feel about TOY overall. I'd just guess most don't agree w/ the whole idea of competing against each other. In my old district it was fine. In my new 1 though, I think it is ridiculous. ( I don't really feel strongly either way for or against.)

bella84 and Michelle like this.