Teacher and Student Distractions

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Math, Oct 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Math

Math Cohort

Oct 18, 2013

I do not think my teacher can get right. Being in this class where talking is just about non stop is so annoying. I can not believe this is a honors course sometimes. Just about every single day the 4 people around me are having a full conversation nice and loud and I would just move but the same thing happens on the other side of the room. The teacher only sometimes addresses the talking however, the students believe she is always joking and I understand why. Our class period is around 43 minutes and she always waits to teach a new lesson when we are about 33-35 minutes in the period. The rest of the class time is filled by interruptions that she feeds into. She could be just telling a story about her kids or her life. Even when she is going over a lesson she will some how get side tracked by telling a story that has no relation to the lesson. I am not the only person who notices... I had stayed after for extra help one time and this girl was basically telling me that the teacher acts the same way in their class. Then I had another student in my class tell me that he notices the same thing. We are quite nervous for the remainder of the year when the material gets tough. (Vent)

3. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Oct 18, 2013

Sorry to hear things are frustrating, though I'm glad you are taking matters into your own hands to make sure you know the material. I obviously don't know you or your teacher... if things are as you describe, then there's a definite problem... although sometimes I think issues seem different depending on which side of the desk you sit at.

4. joeschmoe

joeschmoe Companion

Oct 18, 2013

Usually we get teachers complaining about their students, not vice-verse. LOL.

It's a tough situation to be honest. If you tell the teacher about it, the teacher can either a) realize she needs to be more professional or b) mark you as a target.

The way she behaves could be indicative of her comfort level. Another option could be maybe approaching administration and asking if they could stop by more often to "catch" the teacher in her lax state? Either the principal or vice principal are supposed to make rounds to check out classrooms on a daily basis. They could be skipping your class because they feel no need to check in on an honors course. You guys are "supposed" to be on task.

If they catch her being unprofessional, then they can straighten her out. I doubt they would rat on a student. But then again that also depends how strong your administration is.

5. dave1mo

dave1mo Comrade

Oct 19, 2013

Have you considered sending your teacher an "anonymous" email from a throwaway email account?

If the tone is respectful and there's no exaggeration in what's going on in the class, a true professional would heed your words. Unfortunately, there are more cases of unprofessional teachers than most teachers would like to admit.

Edit: If you do this, do NOT mention identifying names, class periods, or grades. If the teacher truly is unprofessional, she'll mark you out like someone mentioned above.

6. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Oct 19, 2013

Your teacher is not fulfilling her duties in being the guardian of learning in her classroom. You have every right to be dissatisfied with the level of performance you are receiving. I like the idea that dave gave about an anonymous email, though you can achieve the same type of anonymity and be more sure of reception (it doesn't get lost in the junk mail) if you write up a typed letter and place it on her desk or inbox.

Respectfully address your concerns and about how you'd like to learn in an effective and safe environment.

If nothing changes, take this as an opportunity to improve your skills at learning without a teacher. There will come times in college and as you noticed in High School in which you will have an ineffective teacher or a teacher from which you just can't learn from. Crack open the book, and improve your textbook literacy. Learn how to learn subjects on your own with just a book. There are great sites and blogs on this topic such as Study Hacks, and Scott Young.

While the teacher has a responsibility to teach and manage her classroom well, you are eventually going to need to learn to self-teach yourself as well.

7. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Oct 19, 2013

I confronted my high school government teacher for not actually teaching us anything. I was planning to major in poli-sci at the time and having a class about the history of medieval torture as my only govt experience did not sit well with me. He actually took my criticisms and the class changed dramatically.

Of course, the only reason I confronted him on it was because another teacher heard me complaining about it and told me he was going to talk to him about me... In any case it worked out.

I think as a student you'd be surprised how teachers respond to attentive students. They often aren't on our radar since they aren't problems. As a result (and due to my own experiences as a student) when they ask for something I make sure to make it happen.

8. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Oct 19, 2013

I had a disruptive student a couple of years ago. He was/is a jerk, plain and simple. I have decent classroom management but his only concern was being hateful, not learning, not passing the class. He was smart enough to know what types of actions would disrupt class but not be enough to get him into serious trouble. I took every suggestion I could, did everything that was outlined in the handbook and nothing worked.

Until two students in the same week came to me and told me that they thought their learning was being impacted by his behavior. Phrased differently, of course.

When these two students said this, I then had the ammunition I needed to have him removed from my class more often. He couldn't be removed permanently, but 3 days of ISS here and there made a huge difference.

So, I suggest speaking up. It may be that the teacher's hands are tied for some reason. Mine were. But once my suspicions became truth, I was afforded more options.

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 20, 2013

I agree: stop by the teacher's room after school for a chat. Tell her that the distractions are impeding your learning, and ask her whether there's some way she can get your classmates to be more orderly.

10. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Oct 20, 2013

Great question. Being a high school senior, I'm sure you are well attuned to how sensitive people can be. How you phrase this to your teacher is important.

My suggestion would be to see the teacher after class. Ask the teacher if she has a second. This is polite and allows you to meet with her another time if she is swamped, and would listen at a better time. She probably will say yes, but if not, then ask when would be a good time. Be polite as possible and she'll be ready to listen.

Then tell her that you really want to do well in her class, and that you get distracted easily by noise. Ask her if there is a quiet place in the room that you could not have to worry about so much talking around you. Then let her respond and solve the problem.

My other suggestion, would be to get to class early and sit in the front row. I get distracted easy by noise and this helps me. Also, if the person next to you is being noisy, she'll be able to see it better. Then, you can talk to her about it as you go.

Teachers are usually willing to solve problems and deal with situations. They get really defensive if a student makes it feel that they are doing something wrong. Keep it about the situation and what you want, and not about her doing anything wrong, and you've got a good chance of this problem getting solved. Good luck to you.

11. Math

Math Cohort

Oct 24, 2013

I have spoke and have seen no change. So, I give up on that aspect. However, we had an AP come into observe the class not my doing, she knew it was coming either yesterday or sometime after. Well, it just so happens that the AP didn't give her such a good report. :) So I know I am not just making this stuff up.

12. dave1mo

dave1mo Comrade

Oct 25, 2013

No offense, but I don't see how it's productive or professional that a student knows what's in a teacher's report. Either the teacher or the AP is acting against good professional best practices, you're exaggerating, or you've done something immoral.

Perhaps there's another option, but I can't think of one right now.

13. comaba

comaba Cohort

Oct 25, 2013

Or the teacher chastised the class for the evaluation she received...

14. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Oct 25, 2013

That's what I thought because I've been on the receiving end when a teacher of mine received a bad observation. The students were blamed, but this was one of the teachers that we all knew really needed to change or go.

15. Math

Math Cohort

Oct 25, 2013

The teacher did not blame us. However, she literally read the evaluation to us word for word. I guess listening was immoral or maybe I am trying to publish a novel.... :dizzy:

16. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Oct 25, 2013

It is just not very common that a professional would read word for word the details of an evaluation to the students. The likeliness is almost none. I'm not saying it could never happen, but it certainly wouldn't be something that professionals would ever think of happening.

17. Math

Math Cohort

Oct 25, 2013

I wouldn't think a teacher would do it either. However, it happened and I am just updating people who will believe me. If not, oh well.

18. dave1mo

dave1mo Comrade

Oct 25, 2013

How is this NOT "against good professional best practice?"

19. comaba

comaba Cohort

Oct 25, 2013

Oh, it is "against good professional best practice," but I was compelled to respond due to your other implications regarding the OP.

20. comaba

comaba Cohort

Oct 25, 2013

Judging by the bolded, I wouldn't be surprised if the teacher thinks the students love her and expected them to be as incensed by the evaluation as she probably was.

Or she's just a dope.

21. Math

Math Cohort

Oct 26, 2013

I am content with the responses received. Thank you everyone who contributed to my thread.

22. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 26, 2013

This thread has degenerated into something very unprofessional. Why is it that some of you can't resist making personal attacks? This is a professional site, people. Act like professionals.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.