teacher and new tattoo

Discussion in 'General Education' started by futureteach24, Aug 8, 2013.

1. futureteach24

futureteach24 Companion

Aug 8, 2013

I got an ankle tattoo this summer of the Chinese symbol for family. It's my first week back. I've been wearing pants. What are your thoughts on me wearing shorts and skirts. I've seen other staff and faculty with tattoos but I'm only a 2nd year teacher so not sure if I should chance it. I teach high school, btw.

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 8, 2013

Do you have tenure?

4. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

Aug 8, 2013

I cover my foot tattoo with a bandaid. Not because I'm not allowed to show it, but because it is distracting to my students.

Can you cover yours with a bandaid?

5. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Aug 8, 2013

I bet no one will even notice, unless it's ginormous.

Although I don't think shorts are professional to wear in the classroom.

6. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 8, 2013

We had a first year teacher ask our P what he thought about tattoos. He said he didn't care as long as they were appropriate. We ended up having two first year teachers with visible tattoos 90% of the time without issue. Do you feel comfortable talking with your P?

7. futureteach24

futureteach24 Companion

Aug 8, 2013

I don't have tenure

8. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 8, 2013

Since you don't have tenure, I think that the best course of action is to ask your administrator if it's okay. I bet that it is, especially since others have visible tattoos. Just to make sure, though, asking might be the right thing to do.

9. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Aug 8, 2013

I'm also in HS and I've always had my ankle tattoo showing. It's a word in Arabic (so comparable to your Chinese symbol). Maybe once a month, a student would ask what it stands for, but that was all I ever heard from anyone.

10. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 8, 2013

I'd ask admin. I have one on my ankle and got one on my neck last year. The one on my ankle is visible anytime I wear capris or skirts, the neck on only when I wear my hair up...No one has said anything to me about either one.

11. Barbd

Barbd Rookie

Aug 8, 2013

Here, people wouldn't think twice of a teacher with tattoos. But I would check with the P just to be on the safe side.

12. Sm2teach

Sm2teach Companion

Aug 8, 2013

We wear shorts during the last month of school. We earn shorts/flip flop days by having perfect attendance and paying into the flower fund. It is so hot here and we have field trips, kickball games, field days etc.

I know the teachers on our campus cover any visible tattoos with bandaids. I'm not sure if it is a district policy or preferred by the P.

13. MzMooreTeaches

MzMooreTeaches Cohort

Aug 9, 2013

I have two tattoos and I'm a kindergarten teacher. One is on my foot and the other on my right shoulder. In the beginning I hid it and didn't let it show. Eventually spring and summer came and the students saw it, but they didn't make a big deal of it. A couple asked what it was, I told them and then said okay back to work. That was as far as the conversation went about it. As far as my P we never discussed my second one, but she was aware of my first one on my foot.

14. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 9, 2013

I wouldn't even ask.

15. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 9, 2013

The main reason I suggested asking is because the OP is unsure. To me that means that there must be some sort of vibe that gives the indication that a tattoo might not be okay. If that's the case, asking is best.

In my own school, tattoos are a complete non-issue. If I got one it wouldn't even cross my mind to ask because I know that it would be fine (assuming that it wasn't vulgar or something).

16. linswin23

linswin23 Cohort

Aug 10, 2013

Talk to an admin you feel comfortable with.

17. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Aug 11, 2013

EDIT: I just saw Caesar's comment that the OP may be feeling unsure. When I interview or am in an environment where I'm not sure my tattoo will be deemed appropriate, I wear a piece of jewelry to cover it up. If you're not sure, you might want to do the same.

:yeahthat:

I have a visible tattoo as well but it's small, so most people don't even notice it. I feel like the administration are more accepting of my tattoo because it's a short quote written in black ink and not tons of loud, bright colors covering a large part of my body.

In the last few years, I've only had one student say to me, "YOU HAVE A TATTOO?!" in the middle of reading group which got all the other kids looking.

So I told them, "Yup, I do. But you know, when you see someone with a tattoo, you don't have to tell them. Trust me, they know it's there. Just look at it quietly and move on."

Then I went back to teaching reading groups. I think because I didn't make a huge deal about it or act ashamed and chastise the kids like, "WHY ARE YOU LOOKING AT MY TATTOO?!" it ended up not being a big deal and they got right back on task.

18. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 11, 2013

Yes, I understand. And it's certainly not bad advice (and I would say it's good advice), but I was just saying how I'd likely handle it. I'm getting all spunky in old age. :p