Teacher always wants to use my stuff.

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ecteach, Aug 11, 2013.

1. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Aug 11, 2013

I have a teacher who teaches down the hall. She is always asking to use my stuff. We haven't started school yet, but I am thinking of how I am going to tell her that I don't want her using my materials. This is not a reciprocal thing. She always wants to use my personal laminator, my dry erase markers, my tape, glue.....everything. I have lied before and told her I didn't have stuff that she needed, but they she will "catch" me using the very thing she asked for. The truly bad thing is, she's not even that nice to me. She's totally taking advantage of me. How do I approach her? Have any of you ever had this issue?

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 11, 2013

Gosh, this is such an uncomfortable situation. The laminator is what bothers me...it's not free to use, of course! I'm a wimp so I'd probably lie and say I only have a couple sheets left and will need them. But of course you'd be perfectly within reason to just say no. Does the school not have a laminator?

That's she's not even that friendly is just strange. To have the nerve, I mean.

4. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Aug 11, 2013

I let people borrow within reason (I have a paper cutter & no one else near me does, the science teacher needs extra rulers for the day, etc) BUT... Everyone always returns the items. Or buys me a cup of coffee if it isn't something reusable.

The laminator would dry me nuts. The next time she asks to borrow, I would just say something like, "I'm so sorry, but I really only have just enough to make it through this year." Leave it at that. If she gets pushy or snippy, just smile and say, "I'm so sorry but I really don't have any extras." You aren't there to provide for another teachers classroom.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 11, 2013

Tell her you left the laminator at home. Or that you're out of sheets...or heck, tell her you're not sure if she knows but you spent your own money on it, it's not school property.
    As far as the other stuff, point her to the teacher supply closet.

Just don't ever have to ask her for anything...:spitwater:

6. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 11, 2013

It is one thing to borrow something, but another to borrow consumable items!
    I'd say I was running low every time she asks.

I had a similar situation last year. I have written my kiddos names on their desks with a paint marker for years. I switched grade levels, and a new teammate saw it and asked to borrow the marker. Another teacher saw that, asked the other teacher to borrow it, she was directed to me, so new teacher asked me to borrow it. I sent it down. Someone saw THAT teacher's desk. I cut it off then by saying it ran out. Those things are $3.99 each if you pay full price!!! Buy your own!

7. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 11, 2013

I've let people borrow my personal laminator. Everyone either replaces the sheets that they use or pay me for them.

8. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Aug 11, 2013

I am probably too generous; I lend out almost anything. But I don't have my laminator at school, so that wouldn't come up.

I have given away too many staples this BTS season; I need to buy more! (I could put in a request, but I don't know how long that will take.)

9. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 11, 2013

If the school bought it, they can borrow. If I bought it, I say no.

Last week I told someone they couldn't use my color printer. It belongs to the school, but I bought the ink. That's what I told her, too.

10. Listlady

Listlady Companion

Aug 11, 2013

I would tell her the truth--that they are yours, you spent your own money on them, and that you'd be happy to let her use the laminator if she buys her own sheets. Heck, I'd even print out an order form and show her, ha ha ha.

If someone wanted to laminate ONE small thing, I wouldn't mind, but . . . .

I have my own printer in my room (has color), and for a while it was the only printer in there. People would come in, wanting to print, and I'd say, "if it's short, I don't mind this one time, but this is my printer I brought from home." Then, they'd figure it out.

11. Ted

Ted Habitué

Aug 11, 2013

For non-consumables, I really don't mind lending things as long as I get them back in a reasonable amount of time.

I figure there may be a time when I may need to borrow something as well... I think it's good when teachers lend a hand to other teachers.

If they ARE consumables, then I may let it go the first time, but then kindly remind the borrower that this is something I had to purchase and that if they were willing to give me a quarter for each laminating pouch, it would be fine. :) They usually don't mind this small token for convenience.

12. itsGrape

itsGrape Rookie

Aug 11, 2013

You say "No"!
    It really isn't that difficult. You don't need to lie. Just say No.

13. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Aug 11, 2013

I wouldn't lie - tell the truth. It bothers you to lend things you have paid for. Or put a sign with a price per page next to the laminator and make yourself a profit.

14. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Aug 11, 2013

In regards to the laminator, tell her she can use it if she brings her own sheets.

I tend to stockpile lots of extra supplies like tissues, paper towel, bottles of hand sanitizer, boxes of pencils, boxes of pens, packs of highlighters, packs of notebook paper and copy paper throughout the year. My team members know that if they if run out of anything, they can me ask me or send a child (with a note) to me and I will give them whatever I have. I don't expect any of the items to be replaced (some people do and others do not) and I am constantly replenishing my stockpile.

I feel that it just makes things easier than having kids wandering the hallway, going into everyone's classroom and shouting that they need a pencil or paper or a tissue because their teacher ran out. This happens ALOT, especially during 3rd and 4th quarter, and can create complete chaos in a school environment that is already pretty wild.

15. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Aug 11, 2013

Regarding the laminator, I would simply say you prefer she doesn't because it is a costly splurge for your own use as it is. Then, tell her where you purchased it so she knows where to get her own.

16. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 11, 2013

This is easy. Remember 'Just say no'? Yep. You can do that.

17. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 11, 2013

My first response would be "sorry, no."

However, I am the teacher that everyone comes to for everything - glue gun, staples, forks (my sister's best friend is a regional manager for Wendy's :) ), you name it. I have a laminator (actually, one at home & one in my classroom. When other people have borrowed it, I have loaned it, but not the laminating pouches... They were fine with it - they ran to Office Depot or Walmart & got their own pouches....

18. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Aug 12, 2013

I should add that she does this to other people too, not just me.

19. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 12, 2013

It's hard, but you should just say no. You don't need to give a reason why. "I'm sorry, but that won't be possible." You can always point the other teacher in the direction of the supply area at school (if your school has one) or mention that these items can be purchased at Staples or Walmart.

20. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Aug 12, 2013

I am going to assume that you want to not only take care of this problem, but also do so in a way that doesn't make you look bad or hurt anyone's feelings. Being blunt is easy, but I think with people it is better to treat it like a surgery. Be precise and careful in taking care of the problem without adding unnecessary pain. Here are 3 things to do that aren't too difficult.

1. Those items that are valuable (personal laminator), it might be best to leave at home or locked in your closet. It might not be long until several other teachers ask you to borrow it. As you know the word spreads fast among teachers in a school about nearly any topic. If you feel you must use it at school when she is there, then when she or anyone else asks, let them know that you would be happy to share it, and in the nicest way possible say that the little bit of laminating you have, you need for your own projects.

2. If you are like most schools you have a teacher supply room. If she asks for this stuff, then I would just take a bit extra from the supply room and give it to her when she asks. You can always return it if she figures out she can actually get it from the supply room.

3. For non-consumables that are cheap, just have your name on it, and remind her to return it when she is done. If she doesn't, that is when you need to change tactics and not loan other items until you get them back.

In all elementary schools I have been, teachers share stuff constantly with one another, and they return items to one another. She is acting inappropriate, but if you get strict about loaning items, that might not look good in a culture where sharing is as natural as a teacher getting a small paycheck.:)

21. MzMooreTeaches

MzMooreTeaches Cohort

Aug 12, 2013

I have let teachers borrow my things but it is always with the idea that if I need something from them as well they are open to the idea. I have had good relationships with my coworkers so sometimes I just jokingly say, "I'm not Wal Mart or you can pay me with Gift Cards etc."

I can't recall a time that I outright said no though. Tough situation if you don't get along with her... can you begin to jokingly make comments to say hey, the store is going to go out of business soon meaning I'm running out of things you always ask for. Or like Ted said begin to charge for things and just be straight up and say this cost a certain amount and I don't mind if you use it but its ten cents etc.