Teacher acting like clueless teenager!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by YoungTeacherGuy, Dec 10, 2014.

1. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Dec 10, 2014

I never thought I'd be dealing with this!

I must say--I have a phenomenal staff. I work with dedicated, competent, and compassionate teachers.

However, there is one person (out of 30) who constantly acts as if she doesn't know what's going on.

Case in point: We are currently administering ELD benchmark testing. I make sure everything is highly organized for teachers: bubble sheets are ready, pencils are sharpened, test booklets are labeled with the kids' names, and everything is placed in a handy dandy plastic container (I call them "testing tubs").

I make sure to give teachers plenty of time to complete test administration. I send reminders letting them know that the tests are due on _________ and that I'm available for questions and am willing to help in any way possible (even with test administration, if necessary).

Everyone turned in their tests yesterday. Well, everyone except for one person. This is the same person who is late on everything. This is the same person who loses track of time, runs late on dismissal, and has students miss the bus after school due to her disorganization. :eek:

Today, I phoned this teacher to check on her progress and issue a gentle reminder that things were due yesterday. She said, "I'll get 'em to you when I get 'em to you!" and hung up!

I'm typically a very calm and compasstionate person, but she almost set me over the edge! :mad:

End of rant.

3. 1st-yr-teacher

1st-yr-teacher Comrade

Dec 10, 2014

I would never say that to my administrator! I would beg for forgiveness and bust my tail to get what they asked for ASAP.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 10, 2014

Time for a write-up.

5. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Dec 10, 2014

This is why they pay you the big bucks! :whistle: Are you giving any consequences for the continued insubordination? Is her attitude and disorganization affecting the class? Is it bad enough that you need to begin evidence collecting for disciplinary procedures?

Good luck to you...she sounds like a winner who thinks she can walk all over anyone.

6. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Dec 10, 2014

My principal is in charge of evaluations for certificated staff. I am responsible for classified staff evaluations. It's up to him whether or not she'll be written up. He's the type to usually say, "Let it go!" but enough is enough!

I take my job very seriously and I truly believe it's my responsibility to give teachers the tools for success. I try to help make things as easy as possible for them. Usually, if someone is struggling to get something done, they'll take me up on my constant offers to assist.

I'm probably oversharing, but many parents have requested that their kids be removed from her class and placed in another. However, she has been teaching here since I was a student at this school!

7. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Dec 10, 2014

Sounds like a co-worker of mine. She finally admitted to our P that she is ADHD. Still drives me nuts.

8. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Dec 10, 2014

"However, she has been teaching here since I was a student at this school! "

Burnout? Time to go?

9. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Dec 10, 2014

Yes. And YES!

I checked the seniority list and she started in 1978!

10. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Dec 10, 2014

I'd never act like that with an administrator (or office staff or anyone for that matter), how she acted is wrong, and it should not be let go.

11. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Dec 10, 2014

We had a teacher a few years back like that on our team. I'm sure her teammates are as frustrated as you are for having to deal with that as well.

12. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Dec 10, 2014

Wow! I would never talk to a admin like that...not even if I had been teaching for as long as she has.

13. TnKinder

TnKinder Companion

Dec 10, 2014

Could it be that this teacher still views you as a child, and therefor don't take your directives seriously?

14. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Dec 11, 2014

Yikes!
    If she doesn't like doing what you want her to do then why doesn't she just retire? Then she can do anything she wants whenever she wants!!

15. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 11, 2014

Honestly, one thing I seriously dislike is when administrators allow teachers to continue behaving like this, with no repercussions whatsoever. I can pretty much guarantee that the other teachers who have to work with this teacher are frustrated at her behavior and likely feel like they have to do more than their fair share because she doesn't pull her weight. I hate it when administrators act like they have no power to effect change, giving a little shoulder shrug and an "oh well, what can you do?" expression. I hate it. It makes me lose trust in my administration and their ability to get things done. It destroys the social capital at the school, which is much more difficult to rebuild than to retain.

Just sayin'.

16. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 11, 2014

Wow, I'd never dream of saying what she did & hanging up in my boss' face! The nerve of some people & on top of that, the nerve of a scatterbrain that doesn't even have it on the ball!

Also, if a person has a condition (such as ADHD) or something else, that person should inform their superiors, so that person is aware.

Yeah, time to have been gone, esp the way she is!

17. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Dec 11, 2014

:thumb: