Teach writing only?

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by summersun61, Jun 19, 2009.

1. summersun61

summersun61 Comrade

Jun 19, 2009

Anyone teach only writing? Anyone in a three man strand and teach only writing for 3/4/5 grades? Any tips, likes, or dislikes of this type of teaching position?

3. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 12, 2009

I have never done this, and know that I would not like it. I teach a lot of my writing in conjunction with reading, read-alouds, and Social Studies, and I would miss that interaction. Also, writing is my least favorite subject to grade, and that would add to my dislike.

However, if you are in a position to teach writing to all three grade levels, I can see a lot of benefits in the long run, when you have had the kids a year or two and can keep going from where you were previously.

4. janlee

janlee Devotee

Jul 12, 2009

If I could I would teach only writing. Several years ago I taught an after school writing program to 10 students. We met once a week for 10 weeks. I was even able to publish their writing on the web. Whenever I can I try and incorporate some type of writing component into every subject I teach.

5. Mrs. Mac

Mrs. Mac Rookie

Jul 12, 2009

Teaching writing is one of my FAVORITE things :)

One of the biggest struggles for me, is getting students to start using more vibrant adjectives; staying away from tired ones like "good," "bad," "pretty," etc. I recommend using a word wall with suggestions like "fabulous," "atrocious," "breath-taking," etc.

Also, for your beginners, doing a lot of "think-alouds" of the writing process helps too :)

6. 2tired2teach

2tired2teach Companion

Jul 13, 2009

You can order "Bare Books" and they can write their own books. There is also a company that publishes their book and sells them to parents and family.
    My first week - I tell them we will write about summer vacation, they groan, but I tell them they cannot write anything that is TRUE. THEY LOVE IT.

7. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Jul 13, 2009

I would LOVE to be teaching writing only. I would create a huge word wall. I actually saw a teacher hang her word wall from the ceiling and separate it by subject. I could see that working for a single subject class. Maybe adjectives could be in the back corner; whereas, proper nouns could be in the front of the room.

Good luck!

8. Go Blue

Go Blue New Member

Jul 14, 2009

I teach writing to 4 classes of 4th graders and one class of reading to my homeroom. Last year was my first year of doing this. One thing that I don't like about it is all of the grading! I tend to put off the papers when I have 97 of them to grade :)

9. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 18, 2009

Goodness, that mirrors my thoughts exactly. I love when I can read about a shipwreck, for example, and then have my students write about being in a shipwreck scenario as well. My students also enjoy writing scripts for mini-plays about the Spanish, French, and British explorers. Or write about their ideas of what is a good candidate following the reading of The Kid Who Became President.

If I ever were to have a writing class (without any other subjects), I'd probably have to incorporate podcasting, debate, movie making, journalism/magazine writing and playwriting to spice it up. You can potentially bring in a lot of topics for "units of study" throughout the year, though you'd be reverting to subjects like Social Studies, too (which I love, but I don't know what your school is envisioning).

I love my publishing projects throughout the year- and the one at the end where students put a story in a blank book to illustrate.

Hmm, simply stated, though... I will probably never departmentalize. I LOVE writing- it is so much of who I am- but I love bringing in all subjects to make it a rich, engaging subject for the kids.