Teach with no voice, or stay home?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ms.irene, Feb 11, 2015.

1. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Feb 11, 2015

I have been fighting a cold since last week, and now I'm losing my voice. I feel OK, not great, but my voice is getting horrible. Do you typically work with no voice, or call out if it's feasible? I have a good sub I could call for tomorrow, but we are scheduled for a counseling presentation I wanted to be part of, so I'm torn.

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 11, 2015

I would still go in and find a different way to present lessons.

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Feb 11, 2015

So would I. I probably teach for anywhere between 3 and 6 days every school year with no voice.

5. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Feb 11, 2015

Does everyone tend to run into this? I've been subbing or full time teaching for about 5 years now, and have never had a day where I've lost my voice.

If I did lose my voice, I'd still go and I'd make it work. Very good real-world experience for the kids in problem solving and adjusting to the situation.

6. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Feb 11, 2015

I could teach without talking using hand motions, and prepared lessons that involved more student focused work.

But it depends on how you feel. If you don't feel up to the task, stay home.

7. nklauste

nklauste Comrade

Feb 11, 2015

I ended up losing my voice while student teaching. I still went and the kids were fantastic about being quiet and extra attentive that day.

8. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Feb 11, 2015

Thanks for the responses! I went in today and my 8th graders were wonderfully helpful and quiet. I'm feeling worse now but I still want to be there for the presentation tomorrow, and also my sub of choice can't cover me. Going to go to bed early...

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 11, 2015

If this is at all upper-respiratory, try gargling with salt water before you go to bed and as soon as you get up.

10. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Feb 11, 2015

Well, I've never lost my voice during a teaching school year, but I assume I'd give it a go. I have this tendency to go silent when my kids get squirrely, as it is, and I have taught lessons without speaking.

11. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Feb 11, 2015

I would stay home. I have plenty of sick days and subs who could run my room. I would check first though. Sometimes we have a hard time finding subs. If they couldn't find one, I'd go in.

If it was just my voice I would probably go in, but with a cold I'd just use a day of rest and liquids.

12. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Feb 11, 2015

If it's just my voice, I go. I use my interactive board and try to make it work. I lose my voice at least once a year. I get such a laugh, though. When I try to talk and its just a hose whisper, the kids whisper back, or they keep coughing like they are trying to clear my throat for me. Lol

13. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Feb 13, 2015

Well, I ended up going in all days this week (just one class to go!) and it went fine. My students were really helpful and quiet. It was actually really sweet to see them want to help me out. Even my 2nd period which has been kind of a pain in the derrière lately was extra quiet and attentive. It was interesting to see how my using a quieter voice really seemed to quiet the class overall. I think I'm still usually wearing myself out trying to be louder, project the "teacher voice," etc, and it has actually backfired in creating noisier classes. I am going to keep experimenting with using less of my voice and less volume and see if the results continue!

14. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Feb 13, 2015

I really don't call in sick, so I would and have come in with no voice. It happened my first year in my current school. I lost my voice for a week. At least 3 of those days I had virtually no voice at all. I had a para and that helped. Most of the time I would whisper to one kid and that kid would tell the whole class what I was trying to say. :) It wasn't easy at all and it did get frustrating, but we made it work and we got through it.

15. TXTeacherW

TXTeacherW Rookie

Feb 14, 2015

I have felt fine, no fever, not sick-- but no voice. Just laryngitis. I ended up going to school anyway. Shockingly, my kids were very understanding. I would type out things for them on the main screen, or write it out on the Promethean Board or white board. I whispered a lot. I'm normally a very energetic teacher which often times brings up the energy of my 4th graders. Sometimes I have to say, "I'm going to bring my energy level down now, and we're all going to take a bunny breath together and calm down." I try to understand that we can all get overly excited. My point is when I had no voice, my students' energy lowered as well. They also held others accountable for acting out a bit more. Often times I just gave them my "I'll wait" face, and it worked. It's doable.

16. taylornathaniel

taylornathaniel Rookie

Feb 15, 2015

Don't make this an excuse not to go to work. Use your creative ability to make it work. You will be okay. However, health is always first, so its up to your discretion.