Teach them where they are at, or should be?

Discussion in 'Special Education Archives' started by WaterfallLady, Aug 28, 2006.

1. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Aug 28, 2006

I am doing my practicum and have run into a bit of a problem. When I got to the school (high school math and science) the main teacher told me they didn't have textbooks. When I asked what I was supposed to teach, he said that he had all grade levels so there wasn't a curriculum, but the kids functioned at third-fifth grade with a few above and a few below.

So, should I be teaching at the third-fifth grade level because that is where they are, or should I try to teach them high school science type things like atoms and rocks? Should I meet them half between and teach middle school-like science?

Ideas are more than welcome!

3. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 28, 2006

Well, I think you would have to begin at the level where they will have the most success and build up from there.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 28, 2006

You always teach at the level they're AT. Teaching at the level they should be does nothing-- they won't understand the material. Your hope is to get them up to where they should be.

5. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Aug 28, 2006

I guess I meant should I teach a more simplified high school curriculum or shouldI get materials made for fourth graders? I wasn't clear and I apologize.

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 28, 2006

Sorry, I was speaking in generalities and you wanted specifics.

If possible, I would try for the first-- simplified versions of the actual material you want to teach. Kids are pretty perceptive about when they're being spoken down to, regardless of their ability levels.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

8. bcblue

bcblue Comrade

Aug 28, 2006

I'd agree with Alice--I teach students who are well below grade level, but we try to work on the grade level topics modified and simplified. Also, it is usually what the state expects from you, as well as the district.

9. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Aug 28, 2006

I agree to teach the high school concepts in a more simplified manner. You may want to use more models, diagrams, illustrations with simple language. Once they have the experience/knowledge of the concept understood, start plugging in those grade-level vocab words.

10. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 29, 2006

I think that with science, you should definitely teach the grade-level content, just simplify, and provide more types of support. With math, however, I would expect that, if your students are functioning that far below grade level, you would have to start where they are and move forward. If a student is only achieving at a grade 5 level in math, you cannot expect to teach grade 10 level concepts with any degree of success.

11. Good1

Good1 Rookie

Sep 1, 2006

Very good advice. :)