Teach over seas

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by earthdragon72, Dec 9, 2008.

1. earthdragon72

earthdragon72 Rookie

Dec 9, 2008

Hi All:
    I have a question, has anyone ever taught over seas?
    I am thinking about doing that in 09 year? I have always wanted to teach over seas mostly in Europe and I was hoping that anyone had any chance of doing this?
    :)

3. Sheba

Sheba Companion

Dec 11, 2008

I'm currently doing it and have no plans to return home any year soon. A disproportionate number of the jobs available are in TEFL, as one might expect, but there are a lot of jobs teaching other subjects in international and immersion programmes, too. Content-based TEFL (learning English through study of a particular subject in English with no explicit EFL teaching) is also becoming more and more popular in Asia.

The biggest drawback is that while some of the starting salaries can be pretty good (plenty are a pittance but there are still lots of good starting salaries), rarely in any country where one isn't a licensed citizen of it does pay increase that much with experience. Right now my biggest dilemma is whether to stay at my current secondary school, which I really love but where there's little opportunity for career progression, or get a job at a university, which may be a bit of a risk but offers all kinds of career opportunities.

To be sure, it's not for everyone, and some people adapt better to living in different kinds of cultures than others. Some of the teachers who have the greatest difficulties teaching in another country's school system are ones who have taught in their own country's public school system. Expectations – yours and theirs - can just be so different.

But I'd still say go for it. There are scores of countries in which you could work at scores of different kinds of teaching jobs. My cousins have taught overseas in Kuwait, Venezuela, and the Czech Republic and all had really fascinating experiences, as have I. And even if you turn out to be the biggest F-up in the country you choose or things just go tits over elbows, you can just jump ship and leave with no personal or professional consequences. But more likely than not, with the right attitude it will be very fulfilling and even some of the potential negatives (encountering racism, corruption, incompetence, etc.) will be useful life experiences.