Teach or Student Teach?

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by MissWull, Feb 16, 2007.

1. srh

srh Devotee

Jul 23, 2007

To do final student teaching, I did have to quit my job and lose my benefits...but I had taken out additional student loan money to live on, and paid for catastrophic insurance for seven months. It's possible! Not desirable, but possible!! It's all been worth it, and for me, the ST gave me a clearer understanding of all my teacher ed as well as more "trial and error" time that was priceless! Maybe it's because I'm older, but I think I needed that transition time!

2. SoReady2Teach

SoReady2Teach Comrade

Jul 23, 2007

I'm glad I came across this forum since I in a similar situation. In Tx there is the educational aide exemption where if you have been a classroom aide for six months or a sub for 180 days you can skip your student teaching. I have been subbing now for close to two years so the number of days won't be a problem. I know that my purpose in life is to be a teacher and I'm so anxious to get into my own classroom. When I first heard about the program I was against the idea because I wanted to student teach in my dream district and make connections with people. The more I think about it and the closer I get to finishing my program, I want to take the exemption. After reading all the replies I am not sure what I want! One of the reasons I want to take the exemption is because many of my friends are now beginning to student teach and graduate; I just don't want to feel left behind. I am also concerned that I didn't start college right after high school so I'm already behind. I have heard that there is some sort of financial aid you can get if your student teaching is that true? Any advice for my situation would be great. Thanks!

3. LLBeanie81

LLBeanie81 Rookie

Jul 24, 2007

Thanks for the encouragement. I have been thumbing through physics books doing problems and I can't wait to put together tests and fun labs!!

Fratta415, you're right - the department head is an old guy and has hired two other engineers and they've both worked out really well so he has faith:) I guess he wouldn't hire me unless he thought I'd work out.