Teach online

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by jamoehope, Dec 3, 2011.

1. jamoehope

jamoehope Companion

Dec 3, 2011

3. sizzla_222

sizzla_222 Companion

Dec 6, 2011

I also have looked into this as an alternative if I cannot find a classroom teaching job anywhere.

Most of the online schools in my state (OH) are schools where the teachers have to go to a specific building (office) to teach for the day. The teachers do not get to stay and work from home most of the time.

4. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Dec 6, 2011

I teach online (from home in Ohio, so perhaps the exception) and have always heard of the wonderful things K12 does.

5. sizzla_222

sizzla_222 Companion

Dec 6, 2011

you do? How do you like it? Do you miss having interaction with the students?

I am going to look into this as an option next year.
    My only fear is that I would get bored being at home or an office instead of actually seeing the students.

6. jamoehope

jamoehope Companion

Dec 6, 2011

This is something I fear too although I am still wondering about it.

Yes, please share what it is like, catnfiddle! I am interested to see how it is different from in person teaching and how the class management is different. I also wonder about the paperwork or other things you do in addition to traditional teaching to show what you ARE working are.

7. sizzla_222

sizzla_222 Companion

Dec 7, 2011

I would also love to hear more catnfiddle. I love the idea of not having to do any classroom management and be able to do what I love to do -teach.

But I am sure it comes with it's own challenges. What are they?

8. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Dec 7, 2011

I sent you a PM.

9. nangel78

nangel78 Companion

Dec 7, 2011

Cat,

how do you like it? I would definitely consider it. Will you send me info?

10. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Dec 7, 2011

My school is only for Ohio residents, unfortunately. You'll want to research options in your own state. K12 is in a large number.

11. jamoehope

jamoehope Companion

Dec 9, 2011

12. NJSocialStudies

NJSocialStudies Rookie

Dec 21, 2011

Online schools and virtual academies seem to be the newest wave in the education field. I interviewed at one and, being technologically adept, I thought I would be a great fit. I was, but I was not hired as a teacher...I work part-time assessing their networking/bandwidth needs and their TCP/IP protocol. Yes, a foreign language. Anyway, the reason I do that for them and not teach is that I actually make more money as an independent contractor working for them about 10-15 hours a month than their teachers do full time in that month. The salary they quoted me for my teaching certifications was dismal...no, not low...dismal. I teach in a regular classroom now, luckily enough. These are very cool, laid-back schools...but if you are looking to earn a living wage, consider something else.

13. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Dec 21, 2011

Interesting. My salary at my school is lower than many traditional public schools but beats just about every other charter I looked at in the area. Factor in the money saved on gas and wardrobe and it's pretty good. Maybe it all depends on who and where.