Teach Like a Pirate

Discussion in 'General Education' started by readingrules12, Aug 4, 2013.

1. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Aug 4, 2013

I just finished this book, and was very impressed. I especially liked the second section that had lots of ?'s for a teacher to ask herself/himself to help them be more creative with their lessons. I highly recommend it for any teacher. For those who have read this book, what did you think?

3. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Aug 4, 2013

Hi, there was a thread not too long ago that discussed this book. You can find it here.

4. readingrules12

Aug 4, 2013

Thank you for that link. The reason I created a new one, is that the old one was about what people thought about the idea of teachers being entertainers. While the person who posted had begun the book, there was no one that I recall who had yet read the whole book.

This link is different as it to share with other educators their thoughts about the book for those who have had a chance to read it.

5. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Aug 4, 2013

I'd be interested to hear thoughts, because according to customer reviews on amazon, it is a 5-star book.

6. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

Aug 4, 2013

That was a selling point for me as well. However, I am not an entertainer in the sense that I would feel comfortable jumping on tables a la Mr. Keating in Dead Poet's Society. I'm hoping that "Teach Like a Pirate" isn't ALL about putting on a three-ring circus for the kids?

Readingrules, could you go more into detail about some of the usable ideas you got from the book?

7. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Aug 4, 2013

I bought it after the last thread and read it in two days, it is fantastic. And yes, it is ALL about "putting on a circus for kids" (or, as I call it, engagement) and why you absolutely should do so.

Part 2 is a series of questions, as Reading said, designed to help you find hooks for any lesson or topic.

For example the Student Hobby Hook asks:
    How can I incorporate the hobbies and outside interests of my students into this material?
    Do I even know the hobbies and interests of my students, and, if not, how can I find out?
    How can I harness the power of connecting my content to what students are already interested in?

They are simply things, obviously, but collected and presented in a simple, organized fashion.

It has become a must-read for all my future student teachers.

8. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Aug 4, 2013

This is something that I've always hoped to incorporate in my someday curriculum. I'll hope to check this book out. Hopefully they have an audio book version. What level (elementary, middle, high) would you say this book is geared?

9. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Aug 4, 2013

I just bought the book and am hoping to start it next week.

10. readingrules12

Aug 4, 2013

Yes, here are some of the things that the author does. (I realize Rockguykev also posted a few things, so I'll try not to be too repetitive.)

Actually pages 87-138 (over 50 pages) are different "hooks" to help the teacher add some creativity and ways to spice up a lesson. Of course, some hooks I liked more than others. I would find it surprising if a teacher really wouldn't get anything out of at least a few of these ?'s to ask themselves.

The hooks are in 32 different categories with as many as 6?'s under each hook so I'll just list a few:

The Real World Application Hook
    The Mystery Bag Hook
    The Involved Audience Hook
    The Storytelling Hook
    The Kinesthetic Hook
    The Craft Store Hook
    The Mnemonic Hook

He also goes into some explanation about each general category of each Hook.

John Lee, the author is a high school teacher, but I think he did a good job of making the ideas for both elementary and secondary.

Do I agree 100% with everything in the book? No.
    Did I enjoy reading the book, and will I use some ideas and some of his ?'s to help improve my teaching this year? Yes.

Hope this helps.

11. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

Aug 4, 2013

When our students enter the workforce, their bosses are not going to dress up and do little skits to get them engaged in their job. That's why I much prefer finding a way to relate learning to their lives. It's motivation that will last much longer than a dog and pony show.

I think the "hooks" are something that are more my style. I'll look into the book (once I'm done reading the five other PD books I've bought this summer!) Thanks for the info :)

12. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Aug 4, 2013

I just started reading it - as in about an hour ago.

I'm sure I'll take something away from it.

I think engagement and passion is something we can all agree is important. There's more than one way to get there. So far, that's what I've read.

13. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Aug 5, 2013

I've never understood this logic. There's tons of things that happen in school that don't happen in the workforce. At what grade should the classroom look exactly like a job? The motivation to work is significantly different than the motivation to learn. They can be fired from work and no good teacher ever wants to a fire a kid from learning. Some kids have a work ethic built in, some don't. Why would we not use every tool possible to get our kids to want to learn so that they are able to be productive workers instead of lazy, mindless automatons?

End rant.

The author is also very receptive to email questions. He got back to me very quickly on a few different occasions.

14. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

Aug 5, 2013

I really only have a problem with things that have absolutely no value other than entertaining, such as the teacher dressing up as a character or historical figure and dancing around like a fool just for the sake of getting them to pay attention. I see no issue with the "kinesthetic hook" or even making up a song about the subject matter, because that engages auditory learners. But wearing costumes and running around acting all theatrical is just not my teaching style.