Teach Like a Champion

Discussion in 'General Education' started by pwhatley, Jul 8, 2011.

1. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 8, 2011

Has anyone else read this book? I'd love to discuss it with you! I'm already doing some of the techniques Doug Lemov suggests - some I'm thinking won't work with primary students (I wanna teach upper elementary!), but his ideas are sound, and the video examples on the included DVD are superb!

3. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Jul 8, 2011

I love that book! I read it last summer and I used some of the strategies this year and they went really well. I definitely plan to re-read it this summer to try to improve this year. I'd be glad to discuss it with you. I am, however, a secondary teacher.

4. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 8, 2011

each1teach1, some things are universal, lol. For instance, explicitly and repetitively teaching routines and procedures!

5. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Jul 8, 2011

True and in many ways high school kids and elementary school kids are VERY similar :)

6. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 9, 2011

ROFL - sooo true!

7. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jul 9, 2011

My school started using this book last year at all grade levels. I was high school last year and will be 5th grade this year. I'm looking forward to using it at the elementary level.

I consistently used Threshold and thought it was great for high school. I want to try hard to use No Opt Out consistently this year. Those are the two jumping out at me. We only focused on a few strategies and not the whole book, but I plan to read the whole book this summer.

8. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 9, 2011

I also found some helpful suggestions. I use the "pepper" technique more often now (I would even tell the kids-put your hands down I'm going to pepper!). We use SLANT school-wide and it's been really effective. The other one I like is "I'm waiting for 3 people..." when you give an expectation-that worked like a charm for my last class. It made me implement exit tickets again too. I love watching the videos for examples-much more visual learner myself.;)

I thought his take on complimenting a specific student was interesting. I had done that often and been taught to do that. When you say "I like how Sally is sitting nicely". His argument against it I found very interesting and something I had never thought of before.

9. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 9, 2011

I plan to use Pepper this year with my first graders. I have my students sit in what I call "learning position," which is SLANT without the anagram, lol. I would imagine it might be easier for them to remember to "slant." I like No Opt Out - especially for my lower students. I'm working hard on Positive Framing (not a natural thing for me). Tight Transitions is my downfall - especially during small group rotation! Mainly, I can't figure out how I want to signal "clean up" and how long to allow for that before I have my (homogenous) groups rotate to their next learning station.

10. Mrs.SLF

Mrs.SLF Comrade

Jul 9, 2011

Now I'm excited to read it! My new school gave all of the teachers a copy of the book to read as part of our summer institute at the end of the month! I'll have to check back when I've actually finished the book!

11. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jul 9, 2011

It's on my list to read. I can't decide if I want to buy it for myself or borrow one from the school library. Is it one I'll only want to read once, or will I want to refer back to it?

12. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 9, 2011

I plan to refer back to it - a lot!

13. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jul 9, 2011

I have definitely referred back to mine, and again, we've only covered a handful of the topics at my school. It's supposed to work for all ages but I think some seem more elementary geared which is why I look forward to trying more this year.

14. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 9, 2011

What are your concerns about the methods? Here are mine:

• As a first grade teacher, I often have non-writers, especially at the beginning of the year. If I do Everybody Writes, I think I have to work up to it.
    • I feel the same way about Binder Control... I think I will begin without Binders and see how they do with Composition Books for Journals, etc.
    • I already do a form of Exit Tickets, with no writing - students are given a random sight word card when they line up, and before they leave the classroom (usually for lunch), they read it to me... I also plan on extensively using No Opt Out!
    • In first grade, we tend to work on a single skill in each subject for about a week (spelling, reading comprehension strategy, grammar, etc.), so that's how we post our objectives - in kid-friendly (but not watered down) language. Mr. Lemov calls for Daily Objectives.

15. MissAnt

MissAnt Comrade

Jul 9, 2011

I really like this book. I use the No Opt Out quite a bit, I teach learning support and find it is a great strategy with my students. I want to implement Exit Tickets this year, I used "entrance tickets" with success this year.

I should go back through the book, I read it before taking my first job and I'd probably have a different prospective if I reread it.

16. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Jul 9, 2011

Teaching hs foreign language, I definitely use No Opt Out a lot. It took a while, but finally the kids got it and they literally will tell each other "You might as well answer. She's not going to give up..." Best. Compliment. Ever.

17. The Fonz

The Fonz Math teacher (for now...)

Jul 9, 2011

so this book is highly recommended for my summer reading list? i'll add it to my amazon cart right now.

18. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jul 10, 2011

Yes, just buy it. It's amazing. I appreciate the explicitness and clear examples. Also amazing are all the Responsive Classroom books. That should be enough to blow your mind before school starts. :lol:

19. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jul 10, 2011

I picked it up yesterday, and I can't wait to read it!

20. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 10, 2011

I just finished it, and plan to re-read it as I develop the list of procedures & routines we will follow this year. It will be on the top shelf of the bookcase behind my desk/teacher table this year for sure!

21. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2011

I have had it in my teacher bag since Christmas- plan on reading it in the next week to get ready for school.

22. The Fonz

Jul 10, 2011

just ordered it on amazon, probably get it on wednesday.

thanks for the review, i'm excited to read it.

do we have a thread on book recommendations? if not, i feel like we should.

23. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jul 10, 2011

Anyone who's just getting it want to do a book group with it on here? I think it could be fun to read and discuss certain chapters, and get different points of view on it.

24. LUCHopefulTeach

LUCHopefulTeach Habitué

Jul 10, 2011

I bought it and was slightly dissapointed since I've already heard of a lot of the strategies and ideas in it. Not the book's fault but it wasn't exactly cheap!

25. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 10, 2011

I had also already heard of (and implemented) some of the stuff in the book (although without the catchy names). However, in my case, that was good, because it told me that i was doing some things right! Also, I really like the continuity of terminology throughout all of the teachers in the book.

26. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 18, 2011

Another thread has me thinking about the "No Opt Out" strategy. The way it works is like this:
    • Teacher to Student A: What is the subject of this sentence?
    • Student A: unable or unwilling to answer
    • Teacher to Student B (or whole class): define the subject of a sentence
    • Student B or whole class: a subject is the person or thing that the sentence is about
    • Teacher to Student A: can you identify the subject of this sentence?

Alternatively, another sentence can give THE answer the teacher is requesting, but the teacher still returns to student A to have THAT student state the answer.

The other thread is discussing whether or not it is cruel to force or require a student to answer. Is this particular method cruel? I can see where, if done improperly, it could be perceived as such. Thinking back to some of my "low" students, however, I can also see this as a great way to ensure that they are participating and get the reinforcement (of the material and by presenting a correct answer) they need.

Thoughts???

27. The Fonz

Jul 18, 2011

I haven't gotten a chance to read the book yet, but from the discription of no opt out, it sounds exactly like what i do in my classroom...which is what i detailed in that thread. I did not know this method was called "no opt out", i learned it from one of my cooperating teachers when I was student teaching.

I do not think it's cruel, i stated my reasons in that thread. but I will say that it does reinforce the material and also shows the students that I may have asked another student to answer the question, but I did not forget about them.

28. queenie

queenie Groupie

Jul 18, 2011

29. nstructor

nstructor Cohort

Jul 18, 2011

I still don't understand the difference between pepper and cold call!

30. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Jul 18, 2011

This looks good, I wish it wasn't so expensive. Maybe I will put it on my Christmas list.

31. sunshine*inc

sunshine*inc Cohort

Jul 19, 2011

I am requesting it from my public library. I can't wait to read it!

32. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 19, 2011

The only difference I can find is that one is a game and one isn't! LOL

33. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Jul 19, 2011

My local library doesn't have it!:(:(

34. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Jul 19, 2011

35. queenie

queenie Groupie

Jul 19, 2011

You're welcome! Same here :(

36. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jul 19, 2011

It's only $15 at Barnes and Noble. Tack on our 20% teacher discount and a free shipping coupon, or buy it in the store, and it's $12 plus tax. That's about what I expect to pay for a book.

37. queenie

queenie Groupie

Jul 19, 2011

Cold call is a method of calling on students- just whenever you call on someone, you call on who YOU want to call on...pay no attention to whether or not a hand is raised. This conditions students to be ready to answer and to realize that you will call on ANYONE at anytime, raising the level of concern and keeping them engaged.

Pepper is a game in which you use the cold call technique, I believe. It's a fast-paced review game where you call on someone and they answer then you call on someone else with a different question and they answer...everyone has to be ready to answer, just like with cold call.

38. queenie

queenie Groupie

Jul 19, 2011

Thanks- I saw it on Amazon and Ebay for 17.95 and just assumed it'd be even more on the racks. But, honestly, after seeing this on the website I probably won't buy it. While the techniques are really good ones, I've been using most of them already and the ones I haven't been using I already had heard of, just with different names sometimes. It just seems like a whole lot of it comes naturally and is just plain common sense.

39. nstructor

nstructor Cohort

Jul 19, 2011

Thanks to both of you-I even watched the dvd and still don't see the difference!!!!!

40. soleil00

soleil00 Comrade

Jul 19, 2011

I bought this book during college because one of my courses focused half the semester on some of the techniques in the book.

I, shamefully, still haven't read it...:blush: