Teach Like a Champion Field Guide

Discussion in 'General Education' started by schoolteacher, Jan 30, 2012.

1. schoolteacher

schoolteacher Habitué

Jan 30, 2012

Does anyone have this book yet? It just came out. The author recommends working with a group or partner on it. I can see that doing this would be very helpful in reflecting on the techniques.

Anyone interested?

3. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Jan 30, 2012

Hmm... that would be interesting but I'm not sure about the price. It costs more than the book itself (of which I already own a copy and am pretty sure I paid full price...) I think it would make for an interesting on-campus book study, but what are your thoughts for trying to do it online?

4. schoolteacher

schoolteacher Habitué

Jan 31, 2012

I find it better than the original book. It gives lots of specific examples of the techniques, ways to troubleshoot if it is not working for you, asks lots of questions that can get you thinking about how to be successful using the techniques.

I guess I'm just interested in discussing some of the techniques and exchanging ideas about them.

For example, the no opt out technique. I find that I don't use it as much as I would like because I have the special ed inclusion class, and try as I might, I can't elicit an answer from a number of the students. I can go back to them and have them repeat an answer, but for some of them, even that is beyond what they can do (they have trouble listening to what others are saying, and many also have speech issues).

Sometimes they'll try to repeat an answer but what comes out of their mouth makes no sense, and other children laugh. Of course I immediately squash that, but it is difficult to protect them from this at times.

Meanwhile, many others in the class start to get impatient and fidget while waiting for these students to answer. I feel as though much momentum is lost and attention lags, and on task behavior decreases.

I love the idea of no opt out, but can't seem to make it work in my classroom.

5. matherine

matherine Rookie

Jan 31, 2012

So how much does the content of the field guide differ from the original book? Are the DVD clips any different? Is every strategy discussed in a different way than in the first book? If it's even better than the first book, I'd love to read it!

6. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Jan 31, 2012

Yeah, I'd be interested but I'd need a little more information because I don't want to re-buy the book with 20 or 30 extra pages. If I'm going to re-invest I want new material and new perspectives.

7. schoolteacher

schoolteacher Habitué

Feb 1, 2012

I really like this book. It gives me much more direction as to how to master these techniques. It gives angles to approach situations that I didn't think of after reading the first book. It gives examples of language to use to facilitate the techniques.

I used some of them today, and I found it to be very effective.

It gives more structure and direction, and that is something that I was definitely in need of.

8. MPossible

MPossible New Member

Jul 17, 2012

YES!!!

I just bought the book. If you are still looking for someone to exchange ideas, please let me know. I'd love to discuss this with another teacher ths upcoming year.

M