Teach in the district you graduated from

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Math, Oct 4, 2012.

1. Math

Math Cohort

Oct 4, 2012

Would you teach in a district where you graduated from? Basically, where some teachers remember you being their student?

Have you had any students return as teachers in your schoool?

3. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Oct 4, 2012

I do not teach in the district from which I graduated, but a neighboring one.

It happens a LOT in my school. Many employees of our district (including sup, admin, teachers, janitors, bus drivers) are alum. Several current teachers taught their coworkers, or even bosses.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 4, 2012

A LOT of our teachers graduated from my school.

In my department, there are currently 3, two of whom I taught. On the faculty as a whole, I probably taught about a dozen or so teachers.

My old school was closed down in about 1985.

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Oct 4, 2012

Many of the teachers in the district that I work for attended the district.

6. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Oct 4, 2012

I would love to, but the faculty in either department I would want to join typically have a terminal degree in their field. At a minimum, they must have a Master's in their content area and a strong professional reputation (publishing, presenting, etc.)

7. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Oct 4, 2012

I teach in the district where I grew up and attended school. I started teaching 12 th grade at the high school where I graduated within 5 years. Most of my former teachers were still there. My friends' brother was in one of my classes, and he and I had been in marching band together.

A good 80% of the people I work with are native to the district. The people who aren't from here often have ties to the area or live in a neighboring community.

One of my teammates was my piano teacher. Another is the child of one of my classmates. One was my student. Another married one of my students.

8. myangel52

myangel52 Comrade

Oct 4, 2012

I am teaching where I grew up, at my old middle school in fact.

Most of the teachers I had have since retired. But there are a few (mostly at the high school) that I had.

9. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Oct 4, 2012

I teach at the district where I attended schools. Many of my former teachers were still teaching when I took my position, and I found it to be very comforting! Many of my students were children of my classmates (most are adults now).

10. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Oct 4, 2012

We have several former students who now teach at our school.

11. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Oct 4, 2012

I would've loved to have spent my career in the district I went to (and have always lived in) or one of the surrounding ones. But, around here, the old saying that's never been more true and applies heavily in this area is; "It's not whatcha..... But whoya...." That leaves nothing but the garbage dump districts. :down:

12. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 4, 2012

The school where I did my student teaching was the school that attended and many of my former teachers were still there.

13. Ranchwife

Ranchwife Companion

Oct 4, 2012

40% of our 15 member staff attended and graduated from our school. It makes for fun discussions on what used to be and how we've so drastically improved. I love teaching where I went to school because it becomes very personal when wanting to improve the school. We all know where we were short changed and do everything to make the place even better for the current generation of kids. My own children will be the 4th generation on both sides of the family to go through our district. Yep, those of of who came back here to work have a lot of vested interest in making the schools the best they can be.

14. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Oct 4, 2012

I did. There were only a couple of the same teachers that were there when I was there as a student in the Elementary and a handful in the high school.

15. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Oct 4, 2012

The high school where I went, almost all the teachers were graduates. I lived in a different city when I got my first job so I didn't work there. When I move back to the USA, my novio wants to live in my hometown so I probably will get a job in my old district! It'll be fun! :)

16. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Oct 4, 2012

I wouldn't mind. I think it would be fun/neat.

However, because my dad had issues, we moved basically every year. One year I attended three different schools for kinder.

:(

17. mcqxu

mcqxu Comrade

Oct 4, 2012

I taught at an elementary school in the district I grew up in - this was my first year of teaching. However, the district has unfortunately gone downhill academically since I attended. My sister lives in this district now and the public school ratings are very low, so she sends her kids to a Catholic school as do most of her neighbors. It's sad - my K-8 memories there were very good!

18. platypusok

platypusok Companion

Oct 4, 2012

I don't but the school I'm at has several people who attended and now teach here. Plus, I don't think anyone ever really retires so they are here with teachers who taught them. The elem principal is a former student who is now the boss of a few of her former teachers.

19. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 4, 2012

I work where I went to school. It's very common here because there are not that many districts in the state. I recall a discussion here...there are over 120 districts in Long Island whereas in our entire state there are around 170. Chances are you are either teaching in your home county or a neighboring county. Anyhow, I do work alongside my former teachers. Pretty neat that some of them directly influenced my own career. :)

20. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Oct 4, 2012

I taught in the district I graduated from and also all of my own kids at least attended one year there. My oldest even graduated from my same school. We have since moved. Would I do it again. Yes if it gets me the same job I have now. Do I want to go back and work for them? NOOOOOOO I learned so much about how they really feel about parents in that district when I worked there. I saw how they valued kids and well it wasn't good.

21. LunarSea

LunarSea Rookie

Oct 4, 2012

I moved clear across the country, from NY to CA. Teaching in a different state has been challenging but rewarding as well. Lately I've thought about one day moving back to NY and teaching there. I definitely wouldn't work in the same district I attended though. Bad experiences as a student!

22. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Oct 4, 2012

I taught in my old school district for ten years, and I loved it. Two of my former teachers were on the hiring committee for me. :)

I like teaching in the community to which I belong. I feel more connected, they know I understand many of the social and/or economic issues they faced, and I have a vested interested in it being successful!

23. Lisabobisa

Lisabobisa Comrade

Oct 4, 2012

I don't, and I wouldn't. My sister is a current student, and I just wanted to move away from home.

24. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Oct 4, 2012

I don't teach in the district where I went to school. (It is two towns over, so I do work with some of my former classmates, though!) There are a good number of teachers at my school who attended it. I had a few of them as students.

25. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Oct 4, 2012

I do.

When I was in 2nd grade I had a student teacher, Mrs. B, and my teacher was Mrs. P ( I had her for 2nd and 3rd). When I began student teaching, my master teacher was Mrs. B in the very same room I now teach in. She is now a Principal at another school. Mrs. P is the assistant Superintendent in the district. It's kind of cool how things are. At the new teacher orientation, many years ago, Mrs. P stood up to tell the whole room how proud she was of me. When she does walk thru visits, I'm always happy to see her. I think it feels less intimidating for me than most of the other teachers.

26. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Oct 4, 2012

Oh, heck, I teach at the school I graduated from. I work with my old teachers. It's been a lot of fun getting to know them as adults. In fact, I have a standing Friday coffee date with one of my teachers.

27. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Oct 10, 2012

I teach in the same district I attended as a K-8 student.

It's nice to attend professional development and sit next to my former teachers! Thankfully, I was a nice kid, so they have good memories of me!

28. tchr4evr

tchr4evr Companion

Oct 11, 2012

Really?

Why does no one leave home? I'm not knocking those of you that end up where you started--but I can't imagine it. I loved my high school--but I would never move back there--even though my parents are still there. My town wasn't bad, or anything-I grew up in SoCal, but I can't imagine living my whole life in one place.

I guess I'm just that kind of person.

29. Ranchwife

Ranchwife Companion

Oct 11, 2012

It wasn't a conscience choice for me to move back. When I left for college, I didn't plan on moving back. But the year I got my masters I started dating my husband and then a teaching position opened up at the middle school. I applied for it because it was a job and I wanted to see where things went with my then boyfriend. We ended up married and now I would never want to leave here. I like teaching where I have roots and where I can pass local stories and traditions to my students.

30. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Oct 11, 2012

Life happens. Sometimes you have to go home.